Interesting Schedule Idea From Coach Cal

Well for all those critical of UK for the IU series ending here is Cal's proposition. Time to put up or shut up.

Calipari's latest scheduling proposal a change of directions | UK News, Recruiting | Kentucky.com

I thought Cal was hoping to get a game against a major opponent (IU, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Mich State, etc.) played in a Regional Final/Final Four type dome? Sort of like when UK played MSU in (I think) a dome about a decade ago. Or has he given up on that? I think the reason give was, Cal didn't want his players first game in a major dome to be in the tournament, he wanted them to have a feel for that atmosphere before the tournament. That and I am sure telling recruits that if they came to UK they would be playing a game in front of 60,000 fans is a nice selling point.

I thought Cal was hoping to get a game against a major opponent (IU, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Mich State, etc.) played in a Regional Final/Final Four type dome? Sort of like when UK played MSU in (I think) a dome about a decade ago. Or has he given up on that? I think the reason give was, Cal didn't want his players first game in a major dome to be in the tournament, he wanted them to have a feel for that atmosphere before the tournament. That and I am sure telling recruits that if they came to UK they would be playing a game in front of 60,000 fans is a nice selling point.

I think that is also still in his plans. Looks like he wants to do both.

I think that is also still in his plans. Looks like he wants to do both.

There was a rumor floating around that Cal wanted to play a combo Football/Basketball in Dallas at Cowboy Stadium on a certain weekend, ie the basketball team would play one night the football team a different night but close enough that UK fans traveling could watch both games on a weekend trip to Dallas. The challenges of this would be 1) can Cowboy Stadium get turned around that quickly to go from one sport to another??? and 2) I think Cal wanted to arrange the opponent to be a team that the UK basketball team would not destroy but on the flip side, a team that would not destroy the UK football team. So Uof Texas can be eliminated obviously which is unfortunate with its huge following in the state.

Again this is a rumor so I have no clue if Cal really ever mentioned this.

There was a rumor floating around that Cal wanted to play a combo Football/Basketball in Dallas at Cowboy Stadium on a certain weekend, ie the basketball team would play one night the football team a different night but close enough that UK fans traveling could watch both games on a weekend trip to Dallas. The challenges of this would be 1) can Cowboy Stadium get turned around that quickly to go from one sport to another??? and 2) I think Cal wanted to arrange the opponent to be a team that the UK basketball team would not destroy but on the flip side, a team that would not destroy the UK football team. So Uof Texas can be eliminated obviously which is unfortunate with its huge following in the state.

Again this is a rumor so I have no clue if Cal really ever mentioned this.

I think Baylor was the team mentioned to play Kentucky. If I'm not mistaken, a women's game was also included making it a triple-header.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you read the link? He is proposing home and home games. How is that keeping your team from going on the road?

Nope, I figured it was more of the same "neutral site" garbage. Color me shocked, and wrong on this account. Clay is correct that it's a pipe dream.

Who's paying for the stadium? It wouldn't even be half full, if at Cowboy Stadium...

UK vs MSU drew almost 80k to Ford Field in 2003. Thats more than half full at Cowboy Stadium.

I'm fairly sure somebody has broken that record since then too.

UK vs MSU drew almost 80k to Ford Field in 2003. Thats more than half full at Cowboy Stadium.

I'm fairly sure somebody has broken that record since then too.

Dallas is farther from Lexington than Detroit is. And I'd venture to say that MSU might have a "better" following than Baylor...