January 6, 200620 yr This should be a most "interesting" meeting. In the December 23, 2005 letter to schools from the Commissioner, she stated that a committee had been formed. Nonetheless, as of earlier this week, no one at KHSAA was disclosing names of those on the committee or how they were selected. Although the letter mentioned a meeting this next Monday (January 9, 2006) in Lexington, the time of the meeting was not included. Does this sound like a set up to anyone else or am I overly suspicious? "Paranoia will destoyia." When I called KHSAA on Monday, I was told by one of the assistants that the committee members had been ask to accept or decline by Wednesday, that's why no specific names were announced early. On such notice, at State Board insistance, people had to talk to bosses, etc about a day and a half out of school just after a break. Looks like they released something yesterday to schools and media, it was posted in another thread. See this other link Looks like they got a heavy hitter to be the facilitator. Maybe now more action and less talk by KHSAA and the schools ...........
January 6, 200620 yr I think that any compromise will be along the lines of what the private schools have already offered. Briefly that is: - Geographic restriction of the drawing area for student athletes with an exception for students from defined feeder schools. - Strict enforcement of the existing rules regarding recruiting and financial aid. Enforcement of the rules must apply to both public and private schools. - Some type of eligibility penalty for students that are from outside the geographic drawing area or defined feeder schools. I hope that some sort of deal can be reached, but I am not holding my breath while waiting. I think that some of the leaders on the public side know that the results on the field are not likely to be changed by implementing anything like what I listed above. I am afraid that they won't agree to anything and will be back next year and every year for as long as it takes until they wear everyone out. Without a compromise, things will stay close to what they are today and we will be back talking about this again.
January 6, 200620 yr Author I think that any compromise will be along the lines of what the private schools have already offered. Briefly that is: - Geographic restriction of the drawing area for student athletes with an exception for students from defined feeder schools. - Strict enforcement of the existing rules regarding recruiting and financial aid. Enforcement of the rules must apply to both public and private schools. - Some type of eligibility penalty for students that are from outside the geographic drawing area or defined feeder schools. I hope that some sort of deal can be reached, but I am not holding my breath while waiting. I think that some of the leaders on the public side know that the results on the field are not likely to be changed by implementing anything like what I listed above. I am afraid that they won't agree to anything and will be back next year and every year for as long as it takes until they wear everyone out. Without a compromise, things will stay close to what they are today and we will be back talking about this again. Of course, there are people like that. And there are people on the private side that feels they have done zero wrong, even what LCath has been accused of. Of course there are extremes. But I think the majority of the ones who voted for Prop 20 DO NOT fall in this catergory and are honestly seeking a solution that allows the kids to compete on an even scale, or as much even as possible.
January 6, 200620 yr I see no way the Catholic Schools can compromise and not use financial aid anymore. I see them compromosing on the area they can get students from, but not the financial aid. That would be it, IMO, as well.
January 6, 200620 yr A question to add to that: Can the state board of education require local districts to have open enrollment? Legally, where does the final resting place of power rest? Michigan went to open enrollment for every school. It came down from the top, but I don't know about KY. Can they do that? I don't see why not. The KDE has authority over education and I would think that they would have this authority. Might create more competition not just athletically, but academically as well. It would put more pressure on schools to have a quality education. Everybody wins.
January 6, 200620 yr Michigan went to open enrollment for every school. It came down from the top, but I don't know about KY. Can they do that? I don't see why not. The KDE has authority over education and I would think that they would have this authority. Might create more competition not just athletically, but academically as well. It would put more pressure on schools to have a quality education. Everybody wins. Did you say competiton? If schools have to compete, they will not go for it.
January 6, 200620 yr And thus the problem. I think for some, the idea of financial aid going to athletes (I know they are not the only ones to get it) is a real problem. And private schools cannot and should not say that athletes are not going to receive financial aid. I don't know if there is a middle ground between these two sides. There MIGHT NOT be a compromise and a governmental ruling party would have to make the call. This is what public school people need to get over. You go to school for free, who cares if these kids are going to school for a discounted price its still more expensive than what you will pay. It makes no sense. Says less about the public school system that kids are willing to pay for an education they can get for free.
January 6, 200620 yr Of course, there are people like that. And there are people on the private side that feels they have done zero wrong, even what LCath has been accused of. Of course there are extremes. But I think the majority of the ones who voted for Prop 20 DO NOT fall in this catergory and are honestly seeking a solution that allows the kids to compete on an even scale, or as much even as possible. Maybe because 95% off us are associated with LexCath. You don't think LexCath situation was even kind of questionable to other private schools. Schools such as Holy Cross, CCH, and NCC. Have been consistent contenders in every sport they have played for year. Its not like these schools all of a sudden appeared like Lex Cath in the sports world.
January 7, 200620 yr And thus the problem. I think for some, the idea of financial aid going to athletes (I know they are not the only ones to get it) is a real problem. And private schools cannot and should not say that athletes are not going to receive financial aid. I don't know if there is a middle ground between these two sides. There MIGHT NOT be a compromise and a governmental ruling party would have to make the call. You forget the kids who recieve tuition assistance are students first and athletes second. Get over it.
January 7, 200620 yr Author You forget the kids who recieve tuition assistance are students first and athletes second. Get over it. You know some people on here are trying to work through solutions and then there are you who say to get over it. I have not forgotten that there are students on BOTH sides of the issues. I have not also forgotten that it is the actions of ADULTS on both sides of the issues that mess it up for these kids. If you don't like the way the members of the KHSAA are handled matters., encourage your school to leave. Or get over it.
January 7, 200620 yr I think that this issue will never be settled to the satisfaction of both sides. One side thinks that equality of opportunity is fair. The other side will not be satisfied until there is equality of results. Any reasonable compromise will not change the results on the field.
January 9, 200620 yr And thus the problem. I think for some, the idea of financial aid going to athletes (I know they are not the only ones to get it) is a real problem. And private schools cannot and should not say that athletes are not going to receive financial aid. I don't know if there is a middle ground between these two sides. There MIGHT NOT be a compromise and a governmental ruling party would have to make the call. This is an issue that flummoxes me. What if every student at a Catholic school received 100% financial aid and paid $0? Then the playing field would be level. The Catholic child would pay the same (0) as the public child. Why does financial aid to privates matter to publics? At most, (100%) it evens things out and removes a huge disadvantage for the private school student.
January 9, 200620 yr Diogenes, you are, as we all know, very wise. Nonetheless, you are not politically correct. It seems that you expect the public schools to rise to the level of effort exhibited by the private schools. To the contrary, the public schools want the private schools to fall to their level of effort. Of course, to hear the publics tell it, the privates have all the money. They tend to forget the seemingly unending supply of our tax dollars from local, state, and federal sources that flow into their coffers.
January 9, 200620 yr Author This is an issue that flummoxes me. What if every student at a Catholic school received 100% financial aid and paid $0? Then the playing field would be level. The Catholic child would pay the same (0) as the public child. Why does financial aid to privates matter to publics? At most, (100%) it evens things out and removes a huge disadvantage for the private school student. The PERCEPTION is that athletes are given more of a consideration for financial aid than a student who is real good in the band or is actually not really good at anything but just wants to attend there. The situation with LCath just throws fuel on this fire. Whether it is truthful or not, becomes irrelevant but the perception is what is being counted. As Andre Agassi told us in his younger days, image is everything.
January 9, 200620 yr I think that this issue will never be settled to the satisfaction of both sides. One side thinks that equality of opportunity is fair. The other side will not be satisfied until there is equality of results. Any reasonable compromise will not change the results on the field. maybe in 4A football it wont, but the equality of results is not that far off in the other sports. I like beating the Catholic schools just as much as I like beating the public schools and will continue to do so.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.