Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Compromises?????

Featured Replies

maybe in 4A football it wont, but the equality of results is not that far off in the other sports. I like beating the Catholic schools just as much as I like beating the public schools and will continue to do so.

I think that when you look around the state you see a lot of teams that can compete. I know the kind of effort that Trinity puts into all sports, especially football. Look at Woodford County in wrestling. Is there something unfair going on that causes them to be so good? Is it maybe possible that they have made an effort to develop a program that is just better than the others? I for one will never deny that some of the private schools have advantages. What I will deny is that those advantages are unfair or that those advantages are due to anything other than the efforts of the school community. It isn't easy, but schools like Woodford County in wrestling show that it can be done.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I think that when you look around the state you see a lot of teams that can compete. I know the kind of effort that Trinity puts into all sports, especially football. Look at Woodford County in wrestling. Is there something unfair going on that causes them to be so good? Is it maybe possible that they have made an effort to develop a program that is just better than the others? I for one will never deny that some of the private schools have advantages. What I will deny is that those advantages are unfair or that those advantages are due to anything other than the efforts of the school community. It isn't easy, but schools like Woodford County in wrestling show that it can be done.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. Unfair may be a poor way to word it. I believe there are advantages that make privates and publics to not compete on the same level. Simply, they are different.

 

You would not ask Deming HS with 100 students to compete in football with St. X and 1500 students. They are different. You could have the same wonderful football programs, exact in every manner setup at both schools, and still St. X would always hold a distinct advantage over Deming.

 

The problem in transferring the above example to public/private is that the advantages are not as clearcut as student size.

 

I think that is what is happening at publics and privates. Because of the nature of private schools they hold distinct advantages over publics. To call them unfair, would be incorrect.

 

But to expect both to compete is what would be the unfair situation.

I think that when you look around the state you see a lot of teams that can compete. I know the kind of effort that Trinity puts into all sports, especially football. Look at Woodford County in wrestling. Is there something unfair going on that causes them to be so good? Is it maybe possible that they have made an effort to develop a program that is just better than the others? I for one will never deny that some of the private schools have advantages. What I will deny is that those advantages are unfair or that those advantages are due to anything other than the efforts of the school community. It isn't easy, but schools like Woodford County in wrestling show that it can be done.

 

I agree to an extent. If a person wants to pay to send their child to a private school then so be it. If that person qualifies for tuition assistance, then so be it. I do not think that recruitment is so rampant on the private side that such a drastic measure as prop 20 needs to be implemented. I do think that there does need to be more transparency in these non-academic, non-need based scholarships that are given to a small percentage of private school students. As much as I don't like the idea of kids living in Frankfort and attending Lexington Catholic, if the parents want to go through the hassle and headache of that commute then so be it. Is it fair that Lexington Catholic can do that and Dunbar or Lafayette can not? Maybe not. Maybe they should compromise on their realm that they can pull students from.

 

The other problem with saying, just follow the current bylaws as far a recruiting is concerned and enforce them, is that it is always going to be very difficult to prove recruiting. Will nearly always turn into he said she said. Having said that, I still do not think recruiting occurs so often that it necessitates prop 20.

Agreed, Gunner. But why can't a parent in Frankfort have their child attend Dunbar or Lafayette? Unless there is not room for the student I'm relatively sure that they would except them. They would have to pay to attend but then again they have to pay to attend LexCath.

I believe, not sure, but there is a plan in place right now to end redistricting in Fayette County. But as of right now. They would have to live in the school district to attend. Those may be bad examples, but the premise of the argument is my point. There are not many schools in the state with open enrollment and as you point out, there must be places available. Otherwise they are left out.

 

http://www.fcps.net/redist/

I agree with you about the recruiting and that it isn't what people think.

I am not so naive to think that it does not happen. It for sure does happen, proving it, is an entirely different story. But it does not happen so often that prop 20 is the answer IMHO. I hope it does not get implemented, but the things that I have mentioned do need to be addressed. Soft money scholarships need to be either completely transparent or they need to cease. Need based aid only, and arbitrated by a third party.

The PERCEPTION is that athletes are given more of a consideration for financial aid than a student who is real good in the band or is actually not really good at anything but just wants to attend there.

 

The situation with LCath just throws fuel on this fire.

 

Whether it is truthful or not, becomes irrelevant but the perception is what is being counted.

 

As Andre Agassi told us in his younger days, image is everything.

 

LBBC

 

My PERCEPTION is that many coaches in public schools do not put as much time and effort into being successful as do their private school counterparts.

 

Whether it is truthful or not, becomes irrelevant but the perception is what is being counted.

 

As Andre Agassi told us in his younger days, image is everything.

This is what public school people need to get over. You go to school for free, who cares if these kids are going to school for a discounted price its still more expensive than what you will pay. It makes no sense.

 

Says less about the public school system that kids are willing to pay for an education they can get for free.

Not exactly correct, It depends on weather a family owns property. Doesn't a large percentage of property taxes go towards funding the public education system.

 

The thing about it is that those that choose private schools and pay property taxes, are paying for private education as well as helping fund the public education system.

 

Lets face it, this issue is not about how education is financed, it's about competing and winning in High School athletics.

 

I personally don't think the playing field will ever be level, because some schools will be committed from the top down to build the best programs and some will not. If you live in a school district where the superitendent does not care about the athletic programs being competetive, then coaches, parents, and fans are fighting an uphill battle.

 

There are examples of great programs both public and private schools around the state that are competetive year in year out because of this top down support. There are others that are rarely competetive bacause of the lack of top down support.

I recommend closing all private schools for one year, and letting the public school system handle the situation in which I am sure will be in a fair way. Think there might be some recruiting amongst the publics?

I recommend closing all private schools for one year, and letting the public school system handle the situation in which I am sure will be in a fair way. Think there might be some recruiting amongst the publics?

 

Now that is a great idea or at least the threat of it is... :laugh: :laugh:

 

What do you think the schools in the larger Catholic populations areas of Kentucky would do with the thousands........ of Children in grades 1-12 and how in the heck could their board of education and the Commonwealth afford it. We parents who choose to send our children to Catholic Schools and own property save the local school boards money as well as the Commonwealth of Kentucky because for evey child we don't send to public schools, they have more money too spend on those who do........

I always point to NKY area, there are only three high schools in all of NKY

that dont have open enrollment just like the private schools allow,all are

in Boone County.If you attend a public school out of your district, usually through reciprocal agreements,the state money you would recieve to attend your home district

district is giving to the school you are now enrolling in. The parents are then responsible for the amount above the state funding the new district requires for attending.That certainly seems to me that would or should be considered financial aid.The state does not allow,by law,to attend the private school of your choice and have your state funding money applied to tuition.

 

 

If there is a feeder designated system put into place I feel it will harm Beechwood

and Highlands in NKY the worst,for football.Because they tend to have a lot of

students from outside their home districts who do not enroll until high school.

I always point to NKY area, there are only three high schools in all of NKY

that dont have open enrollment just like the private schools allow,all are

in Boone County.If you attend a public school out of your district, usually through reciprocal agreements,the state money you would recieve to attend your home district

district is giving to the school you are now enrolling in. The parents are then responsible for the amount above the state funding the new district requires for attending.That certainly seems to me that would or should be considered financial aid.The state does not allow,by law,to attend the private school of your choice and have your state funding money applied to tuition.

 

 

If there is a feeder designated system put into place I feel it will harm Beechwood

and Highlands in NKY the worst,for football.Because they tend to have a lot of

students from outside their home districts who do not enroll until high school.

 

If this happens Beechwood and Highlands strangle hold on NKY football will decrease 10 fold.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.