January 5, 200620 yr My understanding the compromise task force committee meeting is next week. What compromises do you think will come out of it????? Please don't post that this side or that side is a whiner or something similar. I am seriously interested in what do you think the next step in this process will be. I think they will revisit some of the other props that were defeated. My feeling is that once Prop 20 passed the other Props were defeated because of the passage. If they would have been voted on FIRST and PASSED, not sure Prop 20 would have passed. But with prop 20 being moved to the first vote, some voters were nervous of not passing Prop 20 and then none of the other Props being passed. The ole thought of bird in hand better than 2 in the bush.
January 5, 200620 yr You know I can't really think of any that can be applied to all private schools or all schools that will really help with the possible exception of Mile radius limits but even that is only a band-aid. Probably would only effect Lexington Catholic in a major way and that would depend on how large the radius circle is.
January 5, 200620 yr This should be a most "interesting" meeting. In the December 23, 2005 letter to schools from the commissioner, she stated that a committee had been formed. Nonetheless, as of earlier this week, no one at KHSAA was disclosing names of those on the committee or how they were selected. Although the letter mentioned a meeting this next Monday (January 9, 2006) in Lexington, the time of the meeting was not included. Does this sound like a set up to anyone else or am I overly suspicious?
January 5, 200620 yr Author This should be a most "interesting" meeting. In the December 23, 2005 letter to schools from the commissioner, she stated that a committee had been formed. Nonetheless, as of earlier this week, no one at KHSAA was disclosing names of those on the committee or how they were selected. Although the letter mentioned a meeting this next Monday (January 9, 2006) in Lexington, the time of the meeting was not included. Does this sound like a set up to anyone else or am I overly suspicious? From my understanding, those that were involved in the WRITING of prop 20 and not just a sponsor of it are involved from the public side. Representatives from the MAJOR private schools in the state, I believe all may be the Catholic schools are on it. I have not heard anything about a representative of the NKY diocese but would hope someone would be representative of all the NKY Catholic schools.
January 5, 200620 yr From my understanding, those that were involved in the WRITING of prop 20 and not just a sponsor of it are involved from the public side. Representatives from the MAJOR private schools in the state, I believe all may be the Catholic schools are on it. I have not heard anything about a representative of the NKY diocese but would hope someone would be representative of all the NKY Catholic schools. That would lead me to believe that a radius is being considered. Basically no need for the NKY schools then. Plus if the Christian schools are not included then the radius may not apply to them. Just a guess.
January 5, 200620 yr I see no compromise that would solve the entire problem. IMO, the only workable solution is separate classes where each school in the class plays by the same rules, sort of like NCAA divisions. By no means should this be limited to private schools.
January 5, 200620 yr I understand that several school representatives have called KHSAA specifically inquiring as to the makeup of the committee and have been given a runaround. I saw a copy of the December 23, 2005 letter from the commissioner and it stated that a committee had been formed. Why not let the membership know the makeup of the committee? Under the circumstances, I would hope that the private school representatives, assuming there will be a few, wear clothing designed to prevent knife stabs in the back. By the way, does anyone know the time of the meeting or is this still privileged information?
January 5, 200620 yr I see no way the Catholic Schools can compromise and not use financial aid anymore. I see them compromosing on the area they can get students from, but not the financial aid.
January 5, 200620 yr Author I see no way the Catholic Schools can compromise and not use financial aid anymore. I see them compromosing on the area they can get students from, but not the financial aid. And thus the problem. I think for some, the idea of financial aid going to athletes (I know they are not the only ones to get it) is a real problem. And private schools cannot and should not say that athletes are not going to receive financial aid. I don't know if there is a middle ground between these two sides. There MIGHT NOT be a compromise and a governmental ruling party would have to make the call.
January 5, 200620 yr I think there will not be a compromise and Prop 20 will die a loud moaning death.
January 5, 200620 yr Author I think there will not be a compromise and Prop 20 will die a loud moaning death. If that is true, the issue will not be dead. It will be a boil that will continue to fester and reemerge each year at the delegate assembly in some form and/or fashion. I would rather get something done now than for it to be drug out again next year and the next and so on and so on.
January 5, 200620 yr And thus the problem. I think for some, the idea of financial aid going to athletes (I know they are not the only ones to get it) is a real problem. And private schools cannot and should not say that athletes are not going to receive financial aid. I don't know if there is a middle ground between these two sides. There MIGHT NOT be a compromise and a governmental ruling party would have to make the call. It would be nearly impossible to make many "rules" for financial aid that are not already in place. For example, maybe third party clearinghouse making the decision and no more than 50% in financial aid. But even then wouldn't that make a school that charges $10,000 and can give $5000 in aid different from one that charges $5000 and can give $2500 in aid and also different from one that charges $6000 but is not able to provide any financial aid?
January 5, 200620 yr I think that the 6 class system would be a compromise. Also the 20 mile radius for private schools. Maybe the delegates voted down the other proposals because that would force the issue. If they voted all of them in, then they could throw out Prop 20 because the other ones address it better and it would avoid a headache.
January 5, 200620 yr I know this may never fly, but wouldn't a potential compromise be that all public schools be required to endorse open enrollment policies?
January 5, 200620 yr Author I know this may never fly, but wouldn't a potential compromise be that all public schools be required to endorse open enrollment policies? A question to add to that: Can the state board of education require local districts to have open enrollment? Legally, where does the final resting place of power rest?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.