April 8, 201214 yr I got the impression that they knew before hand that blacks were not allowed. So, they went there to video the confrontation for proof of what goes on at this bar.
April 8, 201214 yr Just remember why even as a black man this doesn't bother me, unscramble the letters to "AMERICA" I'll give you five minutes to find a three word phrase that sums up this thread....(wait for it; wait for it) "I AM RACE." Not a coincidence, IMO.
April 8, 201214 yr WOW! Talk about labeling someone. BTW, What was Rosa Parks thinking? She knew the area she was in and knew the situation, she should have just walked away! I don't care who it is, someone who is white, black or bi-racial, it doesn't matter, stuff like this should never happen! I agree with Jim, people don't have the stomach or gonads to call these people out, they would rather ignore it! These racist don't stop at places like these, they are the same ones who if they saw a non-white person on side the road late at night that needs help that they would rather put the person in the hospital or worse, than to help. (Look at those teens down south last year who ran over a guy and killed him on purpose). Maybe, this was a set up, they knew he would not get in the bar, SOOOO, they had the stomach and gonads to expose these people and this bar for what it is! It's because of people like this that things get done, people are talking about the place and I am sure Marion Co isn't too happy about the lovely exposure this is getting them, I am sure it will be on the national news soon, then more people will be calling to have this place shut down, as it has no business existing in today's society. Here's the kicker, though: I know a number of black folks from Bardstown who will go to the place on occasion. And while yes, there are racist clowns there, there are also those same type clowns hanging out at places in Bardstown as well. From what I've heard, those guys pressing the issue are from Campbellsville, and they would also know the reputation of the place. And while the bouncer was right -- "we can't guarantee your safety" -- that's the case for anybody who goes in there, black or white, from what I understand. Honestly though, I don't know why any black person would want to go there anyway. It's not like the reputation of Raywick is a big secret around this area. There are places in Lebanon that you have to go past to get to Raywick from C'ville which are much more friendly toward black folks. Those guys were looking for a confrontation. Not saying I condone the racial attitudes of the Raywick folks, but if you go to Raywick looking for trouble, you'll find it. It's just across the county line from Nelson County, where I live. I've never been there, but I've heard a ton of stories about how much of a roughneck joint it is, and how you getting stabbed is always a possibility. It has a tendency to draw a crowd from several dry counties around the area, and many of the patrons tend to be in the 21-22 year old range, which means there's still a lot of that stupid high school rivalry stuff in those kids' heads. There's a part of me who wants to go just to see what all the hullaballou is all about. The self-preservationist in me, however, says no.
April 8, 201214 yr By whom? And it doesn't surprise me one bit. I think too many people want to close the book on racism as an issue confronting our society, mostly because they don't have the stomach or gonads to call out the people who are that way. They'd rather ignore it and hope it goes away on its own, letting old wounds fester in the process. Jim, I could tell you some stories, especially recent ones. Believe me I'm far from naive about racism, but it still shocks me when I see this kind of crap. Maybe saddens me is a better word.
April 8, 201214 yr Here's the kicker, though: I know a number of black folks from Bardstown who will go to the place on occasion. And while yes, there are racist clowns there, there are also those same type clowns hanging out at places in Bardstown as well. From what I've heard, those guys pressing the issue are from Campbellsville, and they would also know the reputation of the place. And while the bouncer was right -- "we can't guarantee your safety" -- that's the case for anybody who goes in there, black or white, from what I understand. Honestly though, I don't know why any black person would want to go there anyway. It's not like the reputation of Raywick is a big secret around this area. There are places in Lebanon that you have to go past to get to Raywick from C'ville which are much more friendly toward black folks. Those guys were looking for a confrontation. Not saying I condone the racial attitudes of the Raywick folks, but if you go to Raywick looking for trouble, you'll find it. It's just across the county line from Nelson County, where I live. I've never been there, but I've heard a ton of stories about how much of a roughneck joint it is, and how you getting stabbed is always a possibility. It has a tendency to draw a crowd from several dry counties around the area, and many of the patrons tend to be in the 21-22 year old range, which means there's still a lot of that stupid high school rivalry stuff in those kids' heads. There's a part of me who wants to go just to see what all the hullaballou is all about. The self-preservationist in me, however, says no. Sounds like a "Sundown Town". As in "Don't get caught in this town when the sun goes down." There are plenty of them in America still today. Once again, I can deal with all that, because I know where I stand. But when you tell it is one way, and I find it's another way, then that is where the hurt and deceit comes comes in.
April 8, 201214 yr Jim, I could tell you some stories, especially recent ones. Believe me I'm far from naive about racism, but it still shocks me when I see this kind of crap. Maybe saddens me is a better word. I'm not saying you are naive. I'm just saying that a lot of white people would rather not hear about other white people being racist, as it's way too inconvenient and uncomfortable for them to have to call out their friends for the stupid things they say. Instead, they just let it go and act like they didn't hear it, kind of like (in a prominent example I saw/heard a lot back in the day) the UK fans who would ignore their fellow Wildcat fans who seemed to hate Tubby Smith from day one, for no good reason. It was easier to act like they didn't hear it than confront it.
April 8, 201214 yr Sounds like a "Sundown Town". As in "Don't get caught in this town when the sun goes down." There are plenty of them in America still today. Once again, I can deal with all that, because I know where I stand. But when you tell it is one way, and I find it's another way, then that is where the hurt and deceit comes comes in. I'm assuming you're familiar with the unfortunate reputation of some of our state's other enlightened places. Corbin, for example. I had to caution a buddy of mine in the strongest possible terms that it was not a good idea for him to be pursuing a relationship with a girl from there, and it was especially not a good idea for him to go visit her. He had no clue about Corbin's unfortunate, but earned, reputation. Then again, he's from Franklin and never had any reason to go near Corbin until then, so I gave him a pass on his ignorance.
April 8, 201214 yr I'm assuming you're familiar with the unfortunate reputation of some of our state's other enlightened places. Corbin, for example. I had to caution a buddy of mine in the strongest possible terms that it was not a good idea for him to be pursuing a relationship with a girl from there, and it was especially not a good idea for him to go visit her. He had no clue about Corbin's unfortunate, but earned, reputation. Then again, he's from Franklin and never had any reason to go near Corbin until then, so I gave him a pass on his ignorance.I've never personally been to Corbin but heard some stories from friends that coached and had to go there to scout or play.
April 9, 201214 yr By nature I treat people in on how they treat me, doesn't have anything to do on race, religion, creed, it's how I'm treated I try to treat them the same.
April 10, 201214 yr Unbelievable.......however If a business doesn't want someone to patronize it why force the issue. Why go somewhere where you are not welcome??? I think they are stupid to lose potential customers, however it's their business that will suffer from lack of customers.
April 10, 201214 yr Unbelievable.......however If a business doesn't want someone to patronize it why force the issue. Why go somewhere where you are not welcome??? I think they are stupid to lose potential customers, however it's their business that will suffer from lack of customers. This would be different from segregation how?
April 10, 201214 yr This would be different from segregation how? Privately owned company. Unless the courts find that this has a disparate impact on the Interstate Commerce Clause (like the court has found when private hotels pull this crap) then there really is nothing anyone can do besides not shop there. Segregation only protects you against state sponsored racism.
April 10, 201214 yr Sounds like a "Sundown Town". As in "Don't get caught in this town when the sun goes down." There are plenty of them in America still today. Once again, I can deal with all that, because I know where I stand. But when you tell it is one way, and I find it's another way, then that is where the hurt and deceit comes comes in. I stayed just outside of a "sundown" town in late February when I was doing a wine tour in Southern Illinois. Had dinner in the town. I had never heard of them. It was obviously no longer in place but just shocked it previously existed.
April 10, 201214 yr Privately owned company. Unless the courts find that this has a disparate impact on the Interstate Commerce Clause (like the court has found when private hotels pull this crap) then there really is nothing anyone can do besides not shop there. Segregation only protects you against state sponsored racism. From a legal standpoint, yes. However, the end is the same.
April 10, 201214 yr From a legal standpoint, yes. However, the end is the same. I agree. We had a restaurant owner in the Cincy area who would only serve people who spoke English.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.