Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No Black People Allowed: Raywick, KY

Featured Replies

This would be different from segregation how?

 

If a private business wants to say who can and can't patronize it's establishment then I say have at it. If I was told no white people allow at someplace I tried to enter, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I'll find a place that wants me as a paying customer. Why go where you are not welcomed????

 

Do I think it is right yes and no. I wish all people of all races could get along, but I also believe that privately owned businesses should have the right to conduct business has they see fit. I think it is stupid though not to allow a certian segment of society entrance.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a private business wants to say who can and can't patronize it's establishment then I say have at it. If I was told no white people allow at someplace I tried to enter, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I'll find a place that wants me as a paying customer. Why go where you are not welcomed????

 

Do I think it is right yes and no. I wish all people of all races could get along, but I also believe that privately owned businesses should have the right to conduct business has they see fit. I think it is stupid though not to allow a certian segment of society entrance.

You realize that is against the law don't you? Rand Paul can teach you all about it.
You realize that is against the law don't you? Rand Paul can teach you all about it.

 

Is it? It's against the law to not hire someone due to race, but I believe that you have the right to sell to whoever you want.

Big story and accompanying editorial about the incident in the Lebanon Enterprise today.

 

No Blacks Allowed

 

You have to have a subscription to read the whole story, but you can get a 30-day trial if you want to read it and the editorial.

 

The gist:

On March 29, a ruckus took place in the parking lot, involving, according to Susie Riggle, the bar's owner, mostly black people, including a Campbellsville U. student who got into an altercation with police for refusing to leave. He was later arrested.

 

As a result, the next week owners decided "turning away anybody and everybody we thought had any involvement from the week before" was the best course of action on April 5.

 

A Lebanon man, Desmond Spalding, and a friend, Autria Calhoun, were denied entrance. Their white friends were permitted inside. Spalding called his wife, a lawyer, who is white, and she showed up soon afterward and went rounds with the management about the change in policy. They were later let in.

 

The man in the video making the rounds, Rusty Johnson, of Bardstown, was later denied entry, as you've seen from the video (which also shows Spalding inside the bar).

 

Lebanon attorney Dawn Spalding is quoted in the article as saying she intended to file a complaint with the Ky. Alcoholic Beverage Commission. "I intend to close the doors," she said in the article. "I'm hoping they never get to open again."

 

The article also cites KRS 344.130 and 344.140, which relates to the Kentucky Civil Rights Act and how it applies to businesses, which appear to confirm that the business has no right to refuse service on the basis of race.

 

On a side note, and I don't know 100 percent how true this is, as I'm getting it third-hand, but apparently the place is indeed now closed.

Edited by Jim Schue

  • Author
Big story and accompanying editorial about the incident in the Lebanon Enterprise today.

 

No Blacks Allowed

 

You have to have a subscription to read the whole story, but you can get a 30-day trial if you want to read it and the editorial.

 

The gist:

On March 29, a ruckus took place in the parking lot, involving, according to Susie Riggle, the bar's owner, mostly black people, including a Campbellsville U. student who got into an altercation with police for refusing to leave. He was later arrested.

 

As a result, the next week owners decided "turning away anybody and everybody we thought had any involvement from the week before" was the best course of action on April 5.

 

A Lebanon man, Desmond Spalding, and a friend, Autria Calhoun, were denied entrance. Their white friends were permitted inside. Spalding called his wife, a lawyer, who is white, showed up soon afterward and went rounds with the management about the change in policy. They were later let in.

 

The man in the video making the rounds, Rusty Johnson, of Bardstown, was later denied entry, as you've seen from the video (which also shows Spalding inside the bar).

 

Lebanon attorney Dawn Spalding is quoted in the article as saying she intended to file a complaint with the Ky. Alcoholic Beverage Commission. "I intend to close the doors," she said in the article. "I'm hoping they never get to open again."

 

The article also cites KRS 344.130 and 344.140, which relates to the Kentucky Civil Rights Act and how it applies to businesses, which appear to confirm that the business has no right to refuse service on the basis of race.

 

On a side note, and I don't know 100 percent how true this is, as I'm getting it third-hand, but apparently the place is indeed now closed.

Completely unrelated, but at least 4 out of 5 people in Marion County are named Spalding.
Completely unrelated, but at least 4 out of 5 people in Marion County are named Spalding.

 

Is the fifth one Mattingly? :D

 

We have our fair share of Spaldings and Mattinglys in Bardstown as well.

Is it? It's against the law to not hire someone due to race, but I believe that you have the right to sell to whoever you want.

 

It's a public accommodation counselor. Title II of the Civil Rights Act. It also violates KY's statute to the same effect.

What was done is against the law, but also probably advisable from an insurance standpoint. Interesting conflict of interest.

 

This particular establishment has had many names and owners over the years, some of whom I've represented. Back in the day, I spent the night in a pool of my own blood right outside that bar after having my tail whipped, a pool stick broken over my cranium, and then being hurled into a particularly nasty set of sticker bushes right outside the door. When I woke up the next morning, a kindly person had built a pyramid of beer cans on my rear end. Tail-kicking is color-blind in Raywick, I am telling you.

It's a public accommodation counselor. Title II of the Civil Rights Act. It also violates KY's statute to the same effect.

 

Gotcha. I knew that hotels/inns could not do it as a violation of the Commerce Clause, but I wasn't sure how far that extended. I also wasn't sure what the Civil Rights Act covered in terms of Privately owned businesses.

You realize that is against the law don't you? Rand Paul can teach you all about it.
I guess people forgot or were never taught about the lunch counter sit-ins.
  • Author
Is the fifth one Mattingly? :D

 

We have our fair share of Spaldings and Mattinglys in Bardstown as well.

:lol: :lol:

 

Good calll.

  • Author
What was done is against the law, but also probably advisable from an insurance standpoint. Interesting conflict of interest.

 

This particular establishment has had many names and owners over the years, some of whom I've represented. Back in the day, I spent the night in a pool of my own blood right outside that bar after having my tail whipped, a pool stick broken over my cranium, and then being hurled into a particularly nasty set of sticker bushes right outside the door. When I woke up the next morning, a kindly person had built a pyramid of beer cans on my rear end. Tail-kicking is color-blind in Raywick, I am telling you.

Truest statement on BGP.
I don't have an issue with the bar refusing service to the young black guy. I was denied access in Lexington to an all black bar once and didn't have a problem with that either.

 

As long as you let me know up front on your stance about race I am good with it. They have a right to hate who they want.

 

No different from August Golf Course...........

 

 

Seriously? Where in Lexington in an all Black bar were you refused entry? I don't know of any in Lexington. If you don't have a problem with these actions, then it says a lot about you. Sorry!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.