Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does anyone in the mountains play defense?

Featured Replies

This entire page of postings has made me angry. First of all, I doubt that some of you realize where the mountains in this state are. Many of the teams discussed are not even close to any mountains. Most of eastern Kentucky, which of course garners criticism from all people ignorant of our heritage and assets, is not in the mountains at all. However we are in the hills and they are very different from mountains. Hills are friendly looking, usually somewhat rounded mounds of earth. Mountains are like the Alps, the Rockies, etc. They are very tall and forbidding looking. I think Pike County and surrounding countryside are in the mountains.

And now, back to our main concern of basketball, Morgan County has one of the better defensive teams which was ever put together in such a small school, I think.........and I am sure there are others.

I think the Appalachians are the types of mountains around here. You don't have to get mad if someone considers you in the mountains it still doesn't mean your a hick. Chil...................

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
This entire page of postings has made me angry. First of all, I doubt that some of you realize where the mountains in this state are. Many of the teams discussed are not even close to any mountains. Most of eastern Kentucky, which of course garners criticism from all people ignorant of our heritage and assets, is not in the mountains at all. However we are in the hills and they are very different from mountains. Hills are friendly looking, usually somewhat rounded mounds of earth. Mountains are like the Alps, the Rockies, etc. They are very tall and forbidding looking. I think Pike County and surrounding countryside are in the mountains.

And now, back to our main concern of basketball, Morgan County has one of the better defensive teams which was ever put together in such a small school, I think.........and I am sure there are others.

 

Let me see if I have this straight: You're angry because people are calling certain schools "mountain schools" even though they may not actually fall inside some defined geographical boundary? Wow.

This entire page of postings has made me angry. First of all, I doubt that some of you realize where the mountains in this state are. Many of the teams discussed are not even close to any mountains. Most of eastern Kentucky, which of course garners criticism from all people ignorant of our heritage and assets, is not in the mountains at all. However we are in the hills and they are very different from mountains. Hills are friendly looking, usually somewhat rounded mounds of earth. Mountains are like the Alps, the Rockies, etc. They are very tall and forbidding looking. I think Pike County and surrounding countryside are in the mountains.

And now, back to our main concern of basketball, Morgan County has one of the better defensive teams which was ever put together in such a small school, I think.........and I am sure there are others.

 

Lighten up Frances. :eek:

Granted, my question is a general one, but I have to wonder when reading some of these threads. It seems like every night somebody from out of nowhere goes for 40+.

 

I know the stereotype of mountain kids is that everyone can shoot. But looking at the big picture, it seems as if those kids are sacrificing defense for the desire to be the next Richie Farmer. So I ask you: Where's the Defense?

 

 

Since we're speaking in such generalities...

 

From the basketball I've seen around the state, this is what I've seen (of course, there are a number of exceptions in each group !!):

 

-13th Region: More emphasis on the outside game offensively AND defensively.

-14th and 15th Regions: More emphasis on the outside game offensively and inside game defensively.

-16th Region: More emphasis on the inside game offensively AND defensively.

-Metro Areas: More emphasis on fast breaks and pressing (speed-based offense and defense).

-WKY: ?? (I've not watched enough to tell)

 

IMO, the real key for a given team to excel is to be able to do a couple things well outside of what's typically seen in an area.

 

The first example to my mind is Paintsville's '96 Title team. That team had good inside defense and a couple good perimeter shooters. But then, so did many other teams in the 15th Region. The two things that set them apart was Vanhoose's inside scoring ability and the guards' quickness (that reduced other team's outside looks and breakout opportunities). That particular team lost 10 games, but everything fell in place when everyone concentrated on his role.

 

 

:bunny:

I hate to single anyone out, but it's a 14th region team, but I've seen this happen several times over the years. Even at my hometown school. About 4 years ago we had a player averaging 25 ppg and he broke out several times for 40+, but the downside was the other teams were shutting down the other players and we were losing to teams that we should beat. Great players are going to get their points if the rest of the team is just average. Bark at the moon!

 

Round;eather 24 you make a good point but maybe a team should try and shut that player down and win the game by more than 20, it is not the player who is doing the scoring's fault if the rest of his team gets shut down and they lose by twenty, unless he shoots hoorible shoots and is shooting like 25% from the floor, 50% is good and if a player score 25, 30 plus on 50% shooting thats a good night, if he throws in rebounds and asists and plays good defense where do we get off on saing it is their fault that the team ges beat, maybe the rest of the team should step up, I mean if a guy is scoring that much a team will focus on him, so the rest of the team needs to produce

This entire page of postings has made me angry. First of all, I doubt that some of you realize where the mountains in this state are. Many of the teams discussed are not even close to any mountains. Most of eastern Kentucky, which of course garners criticism from all people ignorant of our heritage and assets, is not in the mountains at all. However we are in the hills and they are very different from mountains. Hills are friendly looking, usually somewhat rounded mounds of earth. Mountains are like the Alps, the Rockies, etc. They are very tall and forbidding looking. I think Pike County and surrounding countryside are in the mountains.

And now, back to our main concern of basketball, Morgan County has one of the better defensive teams which was ever put together in such a small school, I think.........and I am sure there are others.

 

So you're saying that only Pike and a couple more counties should be considered Mountain teams? :confused: Did somebody do something in your oatmeal this morning? WYMT is going to be dissapointed when they have to change their name to WYMT Hill news, or the WYMT Hill Top Ten. Something just don't sound right, DOES IT! :creepy:

I think the Appalachians are the types of mountains around here. You don't have to get mad if someone considers you in the mountains it still doesn't mean your a hick. Chil...................

 

My anger about this discussion has nothing to do with any fear of being called a hick. I readily admit that I am a hick. However, I resent that the entire eastern section of Kentucky is often referred to as being in the mountains when much of this area is not located in mountains. It is in the FOOTHILLS of the Appalachian Mountain range and thus is a hilly area.

So you're saying that only Pike and a couple more counties should be considered Mountain teams? :confused: Did somebody do something in your oatmeal this morning? WYMT is going to be dissapointed when they have to change their name to WYMT Hill news, or the WYMT Hill Top Ten. Something just don't sound right, DOES IT! :creepy:

 

I did not specify how many counties' teams are in the mountains of Kentucky and only mentioned Pike County because this county's mountains are so vivid to me.

The hill vs. mountain theme has plagued me for a very long time.

So no, nobody soiled my cereal this morning. Did somebody taint your slop, SKINPIG?

I agree that Morgan is very good defensively...they defended Belfry VERY well Tuesday night.

I did not specify how many counties' teams are in the mountains of Kentucky and only mentioned Pike County because this county's mountains are so vivid to me.

The hill vs. mountain theme has plagued me for a very long time.

So no, nobody soiled my cereal this morning. Did somebody taint your slop, SKINPIG?

 

Since you're the geography expert why don't you give us a vivid desription of which counties are in the Mountains. I guess if Pike County and a just couple more are designated Mtn teams then Pike could be labled King of the Mtns all the time! Tainted slop don't bother me at all man, I'M A PIG!!! OINK! :banana:

No question teams from the mountains can play defense. "Mountain Ball" is a style of play that is in your face and can be very physical. Teams that are not from the mountains should travel to East Kentucky every year to exp[erience this brand of basketball because your team will be more battle tested at the end of the season. Folks in the mountains love their basketball.

It seems that with most mountain teams, it is better to hide these problems by playing teams in your region four and five times a season, rather than venture out and have the weaknesses exposed in the interest of making a better ballclub and not getting embarrassed in the first round of the Sweet 16.

 

Results from the past 5 state tournaments for regions 12-16(BOLD), which verify what you say in some cases.

Region 12

05 - SOUTH LAUREL (won it all)

04 - Mason Co. 71 - WAYNE CO 57

03 - Rose Hill 65 - SOUTH LAUREL 46

02 - Whitesburg 52 - WAYNE CO 51

01 - SOUTH LAUREL 64 - Campbell Co. 63

01 - Male 63 - SOUTH LAUREL 53

 

Region 13

05 - CORBIN 75 - Lone Oak 67

05 - Univ. Heights 67 - CORBIN 61

04 - Prp 69 - ROCKCASTLE 55

03 - Daviess Co. 68 - CUMBERLAND 35

02 - Paducah Tilghman 58 - ROCKCASTLE 43

01 - CLAY CO 81 - South Floyd 65

 

Region 14

05 - E-town 70 - PERRY CENTRAL 60

04 - PERRY CENTRAL 61 - Morgan Co 45

04- Warren Central 55 - PERRY CENTRAL 31

03 - Oldham Co. 68 - POWELL CO 46

02 - WHITESBURG 52 - Wayne Co. 51

02 - North Hardin 92 - WHITESBURG 43

01 - Ashland 47 - HAZARD 35

 

Region 15

05 - Henry Clay 69 - SHELBY VALLEY 38

04 - Caverna 57 - EAST RIDGE 41

03 - Ballard 66 - SHELBY VALLEY 48

02 - Oldham Co 56 - SHELBY VALLEY 42

01 - Clay Co. 81 - SOUTH FLOYD 65

 

Region 16

05 - Univ. Heights 62 - ROWAN CO. 53

04 - Perry Central 66 - MORGAN CO. 45

03 - ROSE HILL 65 - South Laurel 46

03 - Ballard 83 - ROSE HILL 78

02 - Lex Cath 65 - ASHLAND 51

01 - North Hardin 71 - GRAYSON CO 65

You got 2001 16th region result wrong. Grayson County?

In the 12th Region Somerset has a tough defense. Earlier in the year they held the high powered Southwestern Offense to 39 points. Although the offense hasnt came around yet. The Defensive side of the ball is where they are strong.

Let me see if I have this straight: You're angry because people are calling certain schools "mountain schools" even though they may not actually fall inside some defined geographical boundary? Wow.

 

First of all, I was angrier the morning I made that post than the situation warranted and my only excuse is that I had not had coffee or breakfast yet. However, I would have been somewhat upset even if I had been "all coffeed up" and well fed. Geographical boundaries have nothing to do with my displeasure though. I think there are big differences between hills and mountains and I maintain that many of the schools mentioned are in the hills. Of course I was primarily concerned with the local high school which I cannot name.

Sorry if I offended you, Jim Schue, or any other member of BGP.

I intend to drink my usual 2 cups of java and eat my breakfast before posting again.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.