Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does anyone in the mountains play defense?

Featured Replies

Granted, my question is a general one, but I have to wonder when reading some of these threads. It seems like every night somebody from out of nowhere goes for 40+.

 

I know the stereotype of mountain kids is that everyone can shoot. But looking at the big picture, it seems as if those kids are sacrificing defense for the desire to be the next Richie Farmer. So I ask you: Where's the Defense?

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Morgan County has made it their cornerstone to play tough man to man defense each and every game.

 

Morgan County is usually among the state top 10-15 in scoring defense the past few years.

 

This year Morgan Co. is giving up 46.0ppg while scoring 62.0ppg. Morgan County has only given up 70 points in a game (6 times) dating back to the 2001-2002 season through today.

Betsy Layne has showed signs of defense at times this season. Before last week's tournament action in Berea, the Bobcats had to come from behind in 3 consecutive ballgames (10+ deficit each contest I believe) to win. They did it with deflections and a nice 1-2-2 zone. They also have the size inside to block shots.

  • Author
I'd say Morgan County has made it their cornerstone to play tough man to man defense each and every game.

 

Morgan County is usually among the state top 10-15 in scoring defense the past few years.

 

This year Morgan Co. is giving up 46.0ppg while scoring 62.0ppg. Morgan County has only given up 70 points in a game (6 times) dating back to the 2001-2002 season through today.

 

Credit to Coach Perry and Morgan. :thumb: They have a fine program and are a fun team to watch.

  • Author
Betsy Layne has showed signs of defense at times this season. Before last week's tournament action in Berea, the Bobcats had to come from behind in 3 consecutive ballgames (10+ deficit each contest I believe) to win. They did it with deflections and a nice 1-2-2 zone. They also have the size inside to block shots.

 

Have yet to see Betsy Layne, but respect a team that takes pride in their defense.

I'd say Morgan County has made it their cornerstone to play tough man to man defense each and every game.

 

Morgan County is usually among the state top 10-15 in scoring defense the past few years.

 

This year Morgan Co. is giving up 46.0ppg while scoring 62.0ppg. Morgan County has only given up 70 points in a game (6 times) dating back to the 2001-2002 season through today.

 

I know that the 16th region likes to shoot the three but I would still have to say (judging by the 16th region teams I've seen) that defense is a hallmark of the 16th.

I dont know if South Laurel is considered mountains or not, but they really can get after a team.

  • Author
I dont know if South Laurel is considered mountains or not, but they really can get after a team.

 

Some of the mountain teams don't like to think of the Laurel Co. schools as being in the club, but yeah, SL plays great defense, and that's why they won last year (and this year).

Not saying it's all mountain schools or the majority, but one thing you have to look at is that some mountain schools have one baller and four roll players. In other words, they have one superstar and four players that are just average and below players. This causes the baller/superstar to shoot 40 shots or so and gets 40 points. Not saying everyone that scores 40 is in this situation, just saying it happens. There is one mountain school that has a player scoring 35 and 40 a game and the next guy to him is probably averaging 8 or 10 and his team averages losing by 15-20 points or so, I'm guessing. The defense is there, it's just that when you play a team like this, coaches let the superstar get his points, shut everyone else down, and win the game by 20 points or so. I've seen it happen time and time again, it works.

Some of the mountain teams don't like to think of the Laurel Co. schools as being in the club, but yeah, SL plays great defense, and that's why they won last year (and this year).

 

I except the Laurel's as being Mountain teams and after seeing several Mtn teams play I would have to say that South is the only team that I've seen that takes pride in their defense. I also liked the way Leslie Co. plays hard on "D". I can't think of another team I've watched that gets in your face from start to finish. For some reason, coaches in the Mtns seem to be having problems getting their players to play both sides of the ball. Who's got the answer? :confused:

I would venture to say South Laurel is also one of the deepest teams in the mountains, which allows them to get after it even more.

 

Thats no excuse, so don't take it that way. But a lot of mountain schools are lucky to have two or three kids who can actually play the game. They are then forced to find 2-3 guys who can just fill out the starting lineup.

 

Conditioning is a huge plus to these types of teams.........some have it & some don't.

  • Author
I would venture to say South Laurel is also one of the deepest teams in the mountains, which allows them to get after it even more.

 

Thats no excuse, so don't take it that way. But a lot of mountain schools are lucky to have two or three kids who can actually play the game. They are then forced to find 2-3 guys who can just fill out the starting lineup.

 

Conditioning is a huge plus to these types of teams.........some have it & some don't.

 

In their really tough games, they may go 8 deep, but it would more likely be 7. Allen, Proffitt, Smith, Hammonds, Marcum, Goodin, Riley.

South Laurel and B-ville both play solid "D" in the 13th.

  • Author
I except the Laurel's as being Mountain teams and after seeing several Mtn teams play I would have to say that South is the only team that I've seen that takes pride in their defense. I also liked the way Leslie Co. plays hard on "D". I can't think of another team I've watched that gets in your face from start to finish. For some reason, coaches in the Mtns seem to be having problems getting their players to play both sides of the ball. Who's got the answer? :confused:

 

It seems that with most mountain teams, it is better to hide these problems by playing teams in your region four and five times a season, rather than venture out and have the weaknesses exposed in the interest of making a better ballclub and not getting embarrassed in the first round of the Sweet 16.

  • Author
South Laurel and B-ville both play solid "D" in the 13th.

 

I think the 13th Region schools will find North Laurel is a pretty good defensive team as well.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.