Coach Cal: "I will be at Kentucky"

Watusi

[h=6]Via Facebook

"My good friend Bob Rotella came in town last night and brought along a true winner Keegan Bradley along with the Wanamaker Trophy he won. Here's a picture of Bob, Keegan, Larry Brown and the Wanamaker Trophy, all true champions. Also, as I’ve said before, I have the greatest job in basketball at any level. Why would I be interested in another job? I love being the coach of the Commonwealth’s Team. To the Big Blue Nation and all the recruits that are coming or want to come, I will be at Kentucky."[/h]430524_10150619129508912_103368083911_9221093_297275173_n.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty strong words. Most coaches give lip service when talking about their coaching situation, and most will say something like "I have no intention of leaving University XYZ"

I don't think I've ever read a comment quite like "To all the recruits that want to come, I Will Be Here".

I was just listening to Rome and he was interviewing some NBA writer or analyst about the Knicks job. Sorry, I didn't catch who it was he was talking with. This analyst said Calipari is definitely in the mix for the job. He said it would take a lot of money to get Cal (not as much as Phil) but he said that Calipari wants to get back to the NBA, likes New York and for the right price might make the move. He also said money will not prevent the Knicks from getting who they want for the job.

I was just listening to Rome and he was interviewing some NBA writer or analyst about the Knicks job. Sorry, I didn't catch who it was he was talking with. This analyst said Calipari is definitely in the mix for the job. He said it would take a lot of money to get Cal (not as much as Phil) but he said that Calipari wants to get back to the NBA, likes New York and for the right price might make the move. He also said money will not prevent the Knicks from getting who they want for the job.

I could potentially see him going if they win it all this season. I don't think Cal wants to leave the college game without reaching the top of the mountain first. JMO.

Pretty strong words. Most coaches give lip service when talking about their coaching situation, and most will say something like "I have no intention of leaving University XYZ"

I don't think I've ever read a comment quite like "To all the recruits that want to come, I Will Be Here".

Exactly.

Not trying to be argumentative, but Coach Strong was just as vehement in his words at the end of the football season, and everyone is eschewing him. Personally, I think they'll both be here for the long haul. But I can't see that Cal's statement is any stronger than Charlie's.

Not trying to be argumentative, but Coach Strong was just as vehement in his words at the end of the football season, and everyone is eschewing him. Personally, I think they'll both be here for the long haul. But I can't see that Cal's statement is any stronger than Charlie's.

Outside of the very obvious difference that Coach Cal is at a "destination" job, whereas Coach Strong is at a "stepping stone" job (not a shot at UofL, just a fact), I'd agree.

Outside of the very obvious difference that Coach Cal is at a "destination" job, whereas Coach Strong is at a "stepping stone" job (not a shot at UofL, just a fact), I'd agree.

:thumb: Same statement, different circumstances.

Right after the announcement was made, Calipari was all over it, saying this on Twitter:

"@UKCoachCalipari: I love being the coach of the commonwealth's team. To the #BBN & all the recruits that are coming or want to come, I will be at Kentucky."

Same sentiment as FB. Coach Cal obviously doesn't want any distractions for the NCAA tournament.

The difference is that Kentucky's basketball program is ELITE while Louisville's football program is currently stuck in a mid-major conference. There are few, if any, jobs in college basketball better than the University of Kentucky. On the other hand, I'm not sure if Louisville football is a top 20 coaching position.

With that said, if Kentucky wins a national championship this year, I think Cal should take the Knicks job. Money isn't a huge issue, but it's always a factor. Although Kentucky pays well, the Knicks will pay more. New York is probably a top 5 NBA job.

The difference is that Kentucky's basketball program is ELITE while Louisville's football program is currently stuck in a mid-major conference. There are few, if any, jobs in college basketball better than the University of Kentucky. On the other hand, I'm not sure if Louisville football is a top 20 coaching position.

With that said, if Kentucky wins a national championship this year, I think Cal should take the Knicks job. Money isn't a huge issue, but it's always a factor. Although Kentucky pays well, the Knicks will pay more. New York is probably a top 5 NBA job.

And I say it doesn't matter, because Charlie could be vague, and be looking for a higher profile and more money. So could Cal. It's all relative. Yet when Charlie states his loyalty to not only the Cards but to the city, people like you want to shoot his words down as "coach speak". I disagree.

And I say it doesn't matter, because Charlie could be vague, and be looking for a higher profile and more money. So could Cal. It's all relative. Yet when Charlie states his loyalty to not only the Cards but to the city, people like you want to shoot his words down as "coach speak". I disagree.

Yes, "people like me" believe that Charlie Strong would leave Louisville in a heartbeat for Florida, Alabama, LSU, or some other elite program. I don't think Cal will leave Kentucky for any other college program, but I absolutely believe that he'd leave Kentucky for New York, New Jersey, Chicago, Los Angeles or Miami (with Lebron).