Everything posted by SKINPIG
-
Is basketball a year round sport?
You obviously look at it differently than I do Rojas. I think where we differ the most is...Smaller schools or school without "great" programs are far more plentiful than large schools with "great" programs. I see the problem being at all these less than great programs where coaches make these kids pick a sport or play year round in the 9th grade. I honestly believe a successful HS team (whatever sport) is made up of kids that will work hard and leave it on the floor/field every night out. I just don't think AAU is responsible for those teams.
-
Is basketball a year round sport?
In my opinion these kids do NOT "have" to play basketball year round in some form of AAU to be successful. Unfortunately, 90% of high school coaches think year round basketball is a must. High School basketball players in KY are no better now than they were before all this AAU stuff started, some will argue that the players of twenty five years ago were better skilled than today's players. Some will even say that AAU basketball is detrimental to many players, as well as just a money racket. Here's a scenario where I think year round AAU basketball can hurt. Joe is a 6'4" 9th grader. Of course he's played pivot during his Middle & Elementary days and his HS coach probably already has him pegged as his (back to the goal) center. He plays AAU year round at center with his back to the goal, never learning other skills that may enable him to face the basket and beat someone off the dribble. Next thing you know, he's a senior, he's still 6'4" and playing center. Most, and I stress most, AAU coaches are interested in one thing, winning, and it's safe to say that there's not a whole lot of skills (not normally taught) being taught during these AAU tourneys. I honestly believe that skills are better developed in these younger guys at the local park where there is some tough "street ball" so to speak, being played. He will try and experiment with things he would never try in front of his coach. Some will argue that if you don't have AAU that the players won't work on their games. If the coach has to MAKE him play, he's probably not going to get any better anyway. It's high school sports, not a Div 1 combine from the 7th grade on. Some gifted kids may set goals that require them to play/practice year round in their favorite sport but for the most part, in my opinion 99% of the kids would do just fine practicing with their coach during the season (in any sport). That 1% will do what they need to do anyway, AAU or not.
-
2007 Clay County
Ben told me himself that he would be playing football and basketball for the Tigers. I did see him getting some workouts in at the complex a few weeks ago...I haven't heard a thing on Phillips...I hope Earl gets back on the team.
-
2007 Clay County
I think the top three teams in the district will be Clay, Whitley Co. and Letcher Central. I'd say Whitley will be the toughest team for Clay to deal with. A young Whitley team lost seven or eight games last year but the losses were close games that could have gone either way against tough competition. A number of Tigers could get the nod to carry the ball this season. D. Collins, K. Marcum, K. Reid, E. Nolan, B. Jackson, R. Couch, N. Reid, C. Nicholson, T. Gilbert, CJ Miller and a few more that I'm forgetting at the moment. All the players you mentioned are back, although I'm not sure about Phillips. If Earl is back, throw him in the mix to carry it too.
-
2007 Clay County
Before you can back up your comment you will have to post the height and speed of each of those players. I think you and Dex both stated short "6'" and slow white guys in your posts. The pictures only tell the color of their skin. How many players play in the NFL VS MLB or the NBA? Which pro sport has the most players? I don't claim to know, I'm just wondering.
-
2007 Clay County
I was thinking the same thing.
-
2007 Clay County
I disagree that the major leagues are "filled" with 6' white guys. Check some rosters, filled won't describe it. A 6' white boy better do something very very special to expect a D-1 scholarship in anything, much less a MLB contract. If he's slow, he better do something very very very very very very special. Anything is possible, but NASCAR is probably their best shot.:thumb:
-
2007 Clay County
Any kid that's less than 6' and is "slow" can excel at many things including sports. For you to make the comment that "the only sport that the kid you are describing can really excel at is baseball" makes me wonder why you made the post. Please clarify "really excel at baseball" for me please. Please tell me why "slow", "short" white boys can excel at baseball but not other sports. Wouldn't this "slow", "short" "white kid need a tremendous arm or superior hitting skills to go along with his aforementioned attributes to "really excel at baseball? Without speed playing the outfield and stealing bases is out. If he's really slow, playing the infield is out. He better throw about 95mph or bat .900 with a HR every third at bat. Please explain. I don't think Kycat was talking NFL or MLB contracts when referring to the Clay kids.
-
2007 Clay County
That's Corey Nicholson, Sophomore to be back-up QB/safety. Corey has the ability to play any position on the field. He plays baseball and basketball too, but I don't know if he's getting in any lifts. Strength is all he's lacking to be a solid contributor in all three sports.
-
2007 Clay County
The schedule has been upgraded. It still may not be as strong as Stepp would have liked, but it's just not that easy to dial in a ten game tough/realistic schedule for Clay right now.
-
2007 Clay County
As the Tigers return most of their skilled people, they also lost some veteran lineman and key defensive players. Smallwood was coming on strong last year at linebacker and I've heard he decided to "not play". He needs to reconsider at get back out there. If you know this kid, give him some encouragement, he don't realize what he's going to miss. I know we're not suppose to expect a whole lot from freshman, but TanMan Gilbert will come in ready to help at almost any position on either side of the ball...He's a BEAST! "Can Zach Lewis take the Tigers to the next step?" I think with his skills/knowledge along with senior leadership from Dobbs, Dunn, N. Dezarn, Rice, Rawlings, Jordan, Stivers, R. Smallwood, B. Dezarn and any other upper class-man I may have left out, (I don't have a roster) they will go to another level next season. I do know this...Expectations are higher and the Tiger Football Faithful will no longer be tickled with five or six wins and one playoff game. Now that's saying something about where the program's heading.
-
South Laurel vs Fairdale, Wednesday@6:30
South 61-54
-
Corbin 66 Bell Co 64 (OT)
Wow! So that explains it. Did Les play football? He would have made a great defensive back...He could look the QB and the receiver in the eye at the same time.:thumb:
-
Corbin 66 Bell Co 64 (OT)
Exactly, that's why it should be obvious before adding or subtracting time. When a ref changes the tenths or deals with less than a second, IMO he's guessing. If you're not going to split hairs in the first quarter, why do it in the last ten seconds?
-
Corbin 66 Bell Co 64 (OT)
You are very clear on the usual reaction time HDE. The clock does not stop when the timeout was asked for by the player or coach, nor does it stop when the foul was committed.. The clock stops when the ref signals for it to stop. The clock man is to never anticipate a call or stop the clock unless the ref signals. If a referee notices that the clock man's reaction was obviously early or late he can correct the error. I don't think it's ever supposed to be a guess.
-
Corbin 66 Bell Co 64 (OT)
So you're saying that not only did you watch the play/foul happen, you also watched the clock close enough to tell how many tenths should have been left. I'll tell you what Les...You are something special.
-
Clay Vs Cumberland Predictions
36?:confused:
-
Clay Vs Cumberland Predictions
Clay won the first meeting this year 53 46. I look for a score much the same Thursday night.
-
South Laurel 75 Corbin 48
Don't surprise me at all. Corbin along with the rest of the 13th still have a ways to go to get to South's level.
-
Corbin At South Score??????
Anybody heard a score?
-
Coach of the Year in 13TH
If you think for one second that beating Clay county isn't a big deal to the Corbin kids today you must have just moved in. The Clay Corbin rivalry is one of the best in the state, and I for one hope it never dies. You better believe Corbin gets up for Clay. As for your snide statement...Sometime in the 90's.
-
Coach of the Year in 13TH
Have I done any more "bad mouthing" than you? I think not.
-
Coach of the Year in 13TH
Yep! And they're coming back my friend.
-
Coach of the Year in 13TH
Now hold it there mathman...You said that South, Corbin and Bell were the top tier teams in the 13th...That's totally different than being ranked in the top four. You cannot put Corbin in South's class, that's crazy.
-
Coach of the Year in 13TH
Yeah right! South maybe, Clay beat bell, Corbin lost to Knox Central, Clay beat Knox Central and The mighty hounds beat Clay. It looks to me like Corbin is in the same boat with Clay. Corbin is OK but don't get so far ahead of yourself just because you beat Clay. I know that's something Corbin fans aren't used to so I understand you over reacting.