Everything posted by AshlandTomcat41
-
Ashland vs. Russell Predictions
ttt
-
All Time Leading Scorers at Rupp During State Tournament
Id say JR Vanhoose is way up there too.
-
Ashland Basketball
Yep. Good point!
-
Ashland Basketball
Haha, dont flatter yourself. :thumb: j/k
-
Ashland Basketball
I dont think anyone is trying to run him off, I just think that some people have some honest questions about things going on in the program.
-
Ashland Basketball
I was waiting on that type of response! Haha. I agree about the stup/step down thing. There are VERY few coaches I would trade Flynn for.
-
Ashland Basketball
Very good post. But there is one correction, Flynn missed the Region Championship 2 times 2000 and 2005.
-
Ashland Basketball
That line coming from you!?!?!?!? j/k :lol:
-
Ashland vs. Russell Predictions
Who knows....
-
Ashland Basketball
Since the '97-'98 season.
-
Ashland Basketball
I agree, Flynn is a good coach. Even though me previous may sound like I dont think so, Flynn is one of the best coaches in the region.
-
Ashland Basketball
You are right about Coach Breeden. I played briefly for him before breaking my ankle my freshman and junior years. His basketball knowledge is second to none, and at times he was a complete basketball maniac that would put the fear of God in you in a matter of seconds. Personally I thought he was a fantastic Coach, and to me he just seemed on another level. I know that everyone respected him, and wanted to play for him. I dont know if that can be said about Flynn. I would love to see Breeden back on the Ashland sidelines someday, but I know he is not big on sharing athletes with other sports, so I dont know if he will ever coach in high school again. I agree with you that it is "the nature of the beast" but I would just like to have a coach that the players loved, and loved playing for.
-
Ashland Basketball
No one is calling for Flynn's head. Its just an honest discussion.
-
Ashland Basketball
I basically agree with you :thumb:
-
Ashland Basketball
You are probably right.
-
Ashland Basketball
I wasnt the Fairview loss that brought this about. For the last couple of years there have been these rumblings. Coach Hart has only been at Ashland for 3 years and Flynn is in his 8th I think. In his first 2 years I think that Coach Hart's teams over achieved, especially in '04, by making it to Regional Finals in '03 and '04, which is basically the basketball equivalent of winning a game at Rupp, which Flynn has only done once. I know thats comparing apples to oranges, but Coach Hart changed the attitude about Ashland Football. He built a program, and its effects can been seen from the Ashland JFL to Verity, and to the Tomcats. When I was in high school Wayne Breeden built basketball into a program where you had 30 or 40 kids wanting to play basketball, and you actually had cuts. Its not that way now, I look at some of the kids that play now, and I think those same kids would have been the first ones cut back in the mid 90's.
-
Ashland Basketball
Sadly,I can confirm this.
-
Ashland Basketball
Ok here is what I think about this topic. I feel the worst thing to happen to Mike Flynn in his tenure at Ashland is Leon Hart. Everyone, and I mean everyone LOVES Coach Hart. Kids want to play for him, that is evident by the growing number of kids coming out for football every season. I dont feel the same thing can be said for Coach Flynn and the basketball team. Goliath made a great point about the number of kids who play a year or two then quit. You dont quit when you love your coach. Back when I was in school '94-'98 and even from '99-'02 basketball was king at Ashland, but now I think football has taken over as #1. Former Coach Larry Hall didnt live in Ashland, had no active roll in JFL or Verity Football. I feel he didnt create a program, but simply fielded a team every year, he did nothing to get the community involved. You could maybe say the same thing about Flynn. Could you imagine a Leon Hart coached team with Arliss Beach and Ryne Salyer among others?!?!? Thats not to say that people dont care about basketball, but there is a sense of community associated with the football program. There is dedication from the guys that work on the field, go to the weekly film sessions, watch practice everyday, and work football camp. I just think that basketball got put on the backburner, and it doesnt help Coach Flynn when basically ALL his contributing basketball players are concentrating mainly on football from April to November, and most of them could be considered better football players than basketball players. I feel that Flynn will stay around atleast until next year and most likely until Matt graduates, but after that he has no reason to stay. And I dont think too many people will be sad to see him go. I think he is a good coach, but could probably be a better coach in a different situation.
-
Ashland Basketball
Goliath, my father and I had basically this same conversation until like 1am the other night, and we both pretty much agree with you. Ive gotta get to class, but I will make sure and post my feelings on this issue later today.
-
Lexington Catholic 49 Ashland 40
:lol:
-
Ashland vs. Russell Predictions
Oh Im sure they are on the way....
-
Ashland vs. Russell Predictions
Cats Pause I think...
-
Ashland vs. Russell Predictions
Good point.
-
Ashland vs. Russell Predictions
Hopefully that will prove true. That is a good question Frances, anyone know where the district is this year??
-
Lexington Catholic 49 Ashland 40