Everything posted by Straitshooter
-
Frederick Douglass - 2020 Schedule
Anyone know who the new QB will be at Douglass? They've had a different one transfer in every year so I just assume that will happen again.
-
Saint Xavier changes from local equipment provider
Maybe not for your local school situation. Where I am there have been a wave of counties switching. They aren't doing that if there isn't some advantage. It is usually money. Amazon might not save me money either, but it sure is a lot easier to know that I can get my dog food delivered to my door on the same day every month and I don't have to lug that 50 lb bag to my car for the same price as Amazon. So, all things being equal, give me the easier method every time.
-
Saint Xavier changes from local equipment provider
Maybe not for your local school situation. Where I am there have been a wave of counties switching. They aren't doing that if there isn't some advantage. It is usually money. Amazon might not save me money either, but it sure is a lot easier to know that I can get my dog food delivered to my door on the same day every month and I don't have to lug that 50 lb bag to my car for the same price as Amazon. So, all things being equal, give me the easier method every time.
-
Saint Xavier changes from local equipment provider
BSN comes in and woos the administration with the one-stop ordering thing and they fall in love with it. I can see why too. If you told a principal you could get EVERYTHING you need for the school from BSN you jump at that chance. Garbage cans, cleaning supplies, PE equipment, benches, trash bags, footballs, baseballs. Then you get a check back at the end of the school year, which the district people love.
-
Saint Xavier changes from local equipment provider
What if you could save money AND get good service? That's possible with these large companies. BSN, for example, has purchased a lot of local companies like Lowe's Sporting Goods and kept them in business by utilizing them as a local avenue. Also, maybe sadly, but these big companies pay to get the firs dibs on things. The local company is put on the back burner by Nike, Adidas, whoever and by using the big company you get the sizes, selections, colors, etc. that you want because you were expedited. I love local companies, but districts are being asked to pinch pennies wherever they can and parents are asked to fundraise more and more. It is just hard to justify when the big company will deliver it to your door in a couple days and they have automated billing, your own account on the website, etc.
-
Marshall County hires Steve Etheridge as their new head football coach.
Sooo many posts about coaching changes include this first part. It may certainly be true, but I also think it is cliche in a lot instances and "entitled" is in the eye of the beholder. Your point was valid that a good coach doesn't have those issues.
-
11th Region Draw
From an administration standpoint, it was a lot more beneficial for the region to have district winners host. 1) Four different gates being collected vs. two = more money for the region 2) 2 less nights (4 if you count girls as well) of renting EKU arena = less overhead cost 3) Tournament hosts don't have to be gone 8 nights
-
Frederick Douglass - 2020 Schedule
If that is true, then how do we tag @KHSAA in a post? Prior to 2018 you were only allowed one scrimmage.
-
Woodford County 58 Spencer County 48 (30th District)
I'm sure a faithful Spencer follower that currently can't comment would be able to give us a some solid reasons why this one played out the way it did. But Spencer is young...so wait till next year.
-
Open Job: Anderson County
I think Johnny Utah nailed my point. I don't know anything about his teaching, but taking away what is probably the number 1 reason he was there in the first place might force him to look at other options at other places OR give him the free time now to be a better teacher.
-
Open Job: Anderson County
That said, he will land on his feet.
-
Open Job: Anderson County
Almost all coaches are teachers as well. Principals are under a lot of pressure to have high quality teachers in the classroom as well. Sometimes taking away a coach's supplemental duty either gives them more free time to straighten up as a teacher or gives the principal an opportunity to replace them with a better teacher come hiring season. I don't know much about the situation, but coaches are under year to year contracts so there may have been loose ends the admin wanted tied up before they made a change.
-
Nathan McPeek officially named Douglass Head coach
Not all of it was on him, but a lot of it was and another large part was on the principal...who was also a McPeek (his uncle).
-
Frederick Douglass 78 Tates Creek 73
Is this an upset?
-
Oldham County 55 Collins 44
What makes it “truth”? The fact that you said it? Im gonna hesitate to believe that. Have you gotten both sides of the story? Do you have any idea what Collins coaching staff has to say about the situation? Just wait about 10 days and you’ll have plenty of time on your hands to investigate BOTH SIDES of the story.
-
What 2021-2022 games would you like to see?
Why would they be doing that? 2020 is the second year of the two-year rotations. 99% of the teams around me have their schedule set, they just switched locations from 2019.
-
What 2021-2022 games would you like to see?
Coaches and AD's are filling in their schedules for the 2021-2022 rotation now. What matchups would we as fans like to see?
-
8th Region Week 10 Review - Showdown!
Great list. I think everyone is right where they should be.
-
George Rogers Clark's new arena
So the first time kids should play on the college floor should be the state tournament? That doesn't seem like it would make for a good transition. Also, you haven't been to many region games if you think the college gyms are half empty. They aren't playing them at UL or UK they are playing them in college arenas that are not much larger than the one we are discussing in this post.
-
Jock Sutherland Classic moved to Lexington Catholic
This didn't age well.
-
Cats Pause Region 8 Rankings
Great point. Let's talk about the teams that will be a factor in the region outcome. As I said in my original post, the Oldham schools will have some battles I think. Those will be some fun games to attend.
-
Cats Pause Region 8 Rankings
You really think that the 8th region pre-season rankings are political? Look, I'll admit that there are probably a lot of coaches in the region that don't know what every team has coming back or how much someone has improved. Also, it is a testament to the strength of the 8th region in that these coaches honestly probably forgot about Spencer County because the region is so deep. I will absolutely get out and watch games, but if I do that then that makes it impossible to do a pre-season ranking doesn't it? It is pre-season, it doesn't determine anything. But at the same time, like I've said before, Spencer County has made 2 region tournaments in the last 21 years, and now you are in a 5 team district. I know from experience that no matter the competition, a 5 team district is a lot harder to win. so at the end of the season the only team that I care about is the one at the top of the ranking because that means they won the region. If it makes you feel better, we can put Spencer county 2nd in the region rankings every year for the last 21 years. Maybe you can have trophy made for that. I think Spencer County has some good players, but you put them on this pedestal every year and they and you become a lightning rod for comments when they don't succeed.
-
Cats Pause Region 8 Rankings
Nate Bryan (@nateinsoprts) posted the Cats Pause Region Rankings as voted on by coaches. I thought the 8th region was pretty accurate. It looks like the Oldham County schools will have some battles this year.
-
Frederick Douglass or Covington Catholic?
I mean a game that matters in the playoffs. Twice they've gone into the playoffs and lost to Scott County. This year may be a different story, but when it counts Scott County seems to win.
-
Frederick Douglass or Covington Catholic?
I would take CovCath until Douglass proves they can win a game that matters. I think the discipline and structure of the CovCath team would win out over the talent that Douglass has.