Marshall County hires Steve Etheridge as their new head football coach.

Marshall County is a tough situation. The parents make it difficult. It will be interesting in seeing how the new coach will handled entitled parents and players.

The last coach there to have great success was Mike Lawson, before him, the late Jim Shelton....you know what both of those fellas had in common? They kept the parents at bay and taught tough hard hitting football.

Marshall County is a tough situation. The parents make it difficult. It will be interesting in seeing how the new coach will handled entitled parents and players.

The last coach there to have great success was Mike Lawson, before him, the late Jim Shelton....you know what both of those fellas had in common? They kept the parents at bay and taught tough hard hitting football.

Sooo many posts about coaching changes include this first part. It may certainly be true, but I also think it is cliche in a lot instances and "entitled" is in the eye of the beholder. Your point was valid that a good coach doesn't have those issues.

Sooo many posts about coaching changes include this first part. It may certainly be true, but I also think it is cliche in a lot instances and "entitled" is in the eye of the beholder. Your point was valid that a good coach doesn't have those issues.

I played at MC from 1993 - 96 and later returned to coach there when I started my career in education. I was blessed to be apart of some great success at Marshall county as a player. I know the term "entitled" does seem cliche but I am speaking from multiple experiences. One thing that most people do not know about Marshall county is that most people there are pretty well off. There is quite a bit of money and pretty good to great jobs in the area. Many of the folks who are born there never leave. They are MC for life. You know that a hungry dog hunts best, and well lets say the dogs there have it pretty good and just aren't too hungry. The last thing I will say in regards of this is that many of the young men who are playing now are the kiddos of the guys I played with in the 90's and watched in the late 80's. Those fella's me included have been called entitled, and we know that apples don't fall far from the tree or get out of the orchard.

I hope the new coach is able to handle all the challenges that he has signed up for! He will need some folks he can trust and will help him lay down the law in his program! We will see how serious the administration is here at Marshall county by how many new coaches they let the new guy bring into the building to bolster the program.

If Marshall County Administration doesn't get this right they will never have another opportunity to truly right the ship. Coach Ethridge is a heck of a coach and knows football and what he will want to run fits the personnel that is walking the hallways of the school building. If they allow him to bring in quality assistant coaches which will require giving him more money to pay guys to come there and a weight room that is appropriate for a 6A school he will have a shot to be successful. You can look online at what Marshall gives a head coach money wise for assistant coaching stipends and its not even in the ball part of what it should be. If they do none of those things then any coach with a brain will understand that football is about 5th on the list of sports as far as importance of success goes. I wish Coach E the best and would love to see Marshall be competitive again like the 05-08 years.