Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Next steps for Bengals and Simpson?

Featured Replies

Next steps for Bengals and Simpson? | Bengals Blog

 

Coming off a playoff berth and with a largely skeptical fan base, will be the most important offseason the Bengals have ever faced. Instead of going out and getting a veteran second receiver in free agency, what message does it send to the fan base that they are going to try and redeem someone one more time? There are lots of players who have potential in this league, but if you base Simpson’s production on results and not the wow factor, he hasn’t delivered. The off-field matter should only reinforce why it isn’t worth it. It’s time for another team to take over the role of redeemer.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I definitely can't argue for people no wanting him back. I still would like to see the Bengals sign him back since he would be for cheap, except don't sign him back to be your #2. Sign him back, but still go out in free agency to get a true #2. He would be a nice #4 to have, and also would be good to have if one of the starting receivers got hurt.

  • Author

Pretty much my thinking too.

Simpson's plea gives Mike Brown leverage to negotiate. Simpson will be a Bengal, but hopefully they find someone (either in free agency or via the draft) to play opposite of #18. I like what Hawkins and Shipley can do in the slot; however, neither is a serious threat on the outside.

  • Author

I agree both Hawkins and Shipley bring a nice skill set to the slot.

I agree both Hawkins and Shipley bring a nice skill set to the slot.

 

I loved Hawkins last year. I felt like he caught everything that was thrown to him.

 

34 targets, 23 catches, 0 drops.

I agree I think they should keep Simpson around. I would still like to see them get a good #2 that is a solid route runner.

I agree I think they should keep Simpson around. I would still like to see them get a good #2 that is a solid route runner.

 

Exactly sign him back, but still try to go get a true #2. Even though he was very inconsistent, he also had some very good games in his first year actually playing. I don't see him being a guy that is going to keep getting in trouble with the law either, especially since he will now be on probation for three years.

I'd say don't let the door hit you in the rear! Not the kind of guy I want to build my football team around.

I'd say don't let the door hit you in the rear! Not the kind of guy I want to build my football team around.

 

Thats the thing you wouldn't be building your team around him. He will be for cheap, he is not a guy who is a big trouble maker IMO. He is someone who got busted for something probably most NFL players do. He is someone who had to wait his chance for years because at first having to learn an offense, than not having a spot because of guys like Chad, TJ, Owens, etc in front of him. He showed what he could do in two games in a system that he had learned in his last two games with Brat. Then last year in a new system in his first year as a starter he had some very good moments, and obviously bad moments. I think so many people look at like well he was a 2nd round pick, so since he hasn't produced means he needs to be gone now. He was only given one year to actually do that, and is worth signing him back IMO since he will be cheap. Sign him back to be your #4 and go from there.

Forget the criminal charges - he absolutely stinks. It took him 4 years to get on the field and then it was because the Bengals had no other option. He can't run routes consistently. He can't catch the ball. I can't remember the exact stat but he was one of the worst in the league at % of passes caught. The guy is horrible as a receiver. I will take anyone over him next year.

Forget the criminal charges - he absolutely stinks. It took him 4 years to get on the field and then it was because the Bengals had no other option. He can't run routes consistently. He can't catch the ball. I can't remember the exact stat but he was one of the worst in the league at % of passes caught. The guy is horrible as a receiver. I will take anyone over him next year.

 

Spot on. The bad far outweighs the good. His poor routes or reads probably caused half of Dalton's picks.

Spot on. The bad far outweighs the good. His poor routes or reads probably caused half of Dalton's picks.

 

It's amazing how many people will criticize Simpson for his inability to run routes but never said a word when Chad was in town.

 

It's equally amazing how many people have given Dalton a free pass (you know, because his WR's don't run crisp routes) yet placed all of the blame on Carson Palmer.

It's amazing how many people will criticize Simpson for his inability to run routes but never said a word when Chad was in town.

 

It's equally amazing how many people have given Dalton a free pass (you know, because his WR's don't run crisp routes) yet placed all of the blame on Carson Palmer.

 

Sorry CC, I don't fall into either category. I have been a long-time critic of Chad. There's a big difference between not running crisp routes and the wrong routes. Some/many of

Dalton's picks were due to Simpson and Caldwell running the wrong route. As far as people giving Dalton a pass, perhaps you're referring to the Bengal WR coach (can't recall his name) that said as much during the season.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.