Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best NCAA Officials

Featured Replies

Reading the Karl Hess thread brought me to bring this up. Who are the best officials at the D1 level? Here are my Top 5:

1. Tom Eades

2. Doug Sirmons

3. Ed Corbett

4. Patrick Evans

5. John Hampton

 

Please save your Worst 5 for other thread I've started.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ones who I don't know. I typically only know an officials name if he's terrible.

  • Author
The ones who I don't know. I typically only know an officials name if he's terrible.

 

My point for posting this was to get the good ones some recognition and get their names out there.

 

If you don't know names, check out http://www.statsheet.com and find a game they have recently worked.

They are all good....any NCAA D1 official that steps on the floor has thicker skin than anyone else in the world!! The criticism that they take night in and night out is unreal...always wrong, never right....instant replay for every call made.....these guys are truly troopers, they travel every single night for nearly 5 months, and I do mean travel.....Fla. to Cal. over night on the red-eye special.......then get ready to be verbally abused once again.....cudos to all D1 officials!!

They are all good....any NCAA D1 official that steps on the floor has thicker skin than anyone else in the world!! The criticism that they take night in and night out is unreal...always wrong, never right....instant replay for every call made.....these guys are truly troopers, they travel every single night for nearly 5 months, and I do mean travel.....Fla. to Cal. over night on the red-eye special.......then get ready to be verbally abused once again.....cudos to all D1 officials!!
Bob Valvano said that Big East officials make $3,500 per game plus expenses. Nice gig.
  • Author
Bob Valvano said that Big East officials make $3,500 per game plus expenses. Nice gig.

 

SEC gets $2880 I think.

They are all good....any NCAA D1 official that steps on the floor has thicker skin than anyone else in the world!! The criticism that they take night in and night out is unreal...always wrong, never right....instant replay for every call made.....these guys are truly troopers, they travel every single night for nearly 5 months, and I do mean travel.....Fla. to Cal. over night on the red-eye special.......then get ready to be verbally abused once again.....cudos to all D1 officials!!
.

 

I can promise you I have thicker skin than Karl Hess.

No way.....have you ever officiated in college basketball??

Yes way, and yes I officiated both football and basketball.

SEC gets $2880 I think.

 

From what I've read that is high.

 

I read an article where a top NCAA official was followed around . It said he made about $1,000 per game maybe a few bucks more in some conferences.

 

They get expense money which probably does bring it up to around $2k.

Yes way, and yes I officiated both football and basketball.
Then you should know not to downgrade your fellow officials...wouldn't have wanted to be on the floor or gridiron with you....what conference did you officiate in at the collegiate level??
Then you should know not to downgrade your fellow officials...wouldn't have wanted to be on the floor or gridiron with you....what conference did you officiate in at the collegiate level??

 

I didn't down grade anyone. I just said I had thicker skin. What difference does it matter what conference, or even what level? I hated to be on the floor or field with rabbit ears. Quit worrying about what everyone who doesn't matter is saying, and just do your job. I never once even thought about tossing a fan. Give me a break.

They are all good....any NCAA D1 official that steps on the floor has thicker skin than anyone else in the world!! The criticism that they take night in and night out is unreal...always wrong, never right....instant replay for every call made.....these guys are truly troopers, they travel every single night for nearly 5 months, and I do mean travel.....Fla. to Cal. over night on the red-eye special.......then get ready to be verbally abused once again.....cudos to all D1 officials!!

 

I agree!

  • Author
From what I've read that is high.

 

I read an article where a top NCAA official was followed around . It said he made about $1,000 per game maybe a few bucks more in some conferences.

 

They get expense money which probably does bring it up to around $2k.

 

I have a couple of buddies that work SEC/Big 12/Big East. They say the morning after a game at say Kansas, there is a deposit in their bank account for $2880. And your right, this is for actually doing the game and for all expenses.

I didn't down grade anyone. I just said I had thicker skin. What difference does it matter what conference, or even what level? I hated to be on the floor or field with rabbit ears. Quit worrying about what everyone who doesn't matter is saying, and just do your job. I never once even thought about tossing a fan. Give me a break.
Just don't agree with officials making comments that are negative about other officials......you probably didn't officiate in college or even high school varsity...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.