Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Youth Football

Featured Replies

Maybe. I went to one meeting eons ago. If you subtract coaches/coaches wives/team moms you were left with 10 or 12 people of the potential 500-600 parents.

 

Just because you don't/can't go to the meeting doesn't mean you aren't interested.

 

No doubt.

  • Replies 82
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Maybe. I went to one meeting eons ago. If you subtract coaches/coaches wives/team moms you were left with 10 or 12 people of the potential 500-600 parents.

 

Just because you don't/can't go to the meeting doesn't mean you aren't interested.

 

I only know of South Kenton having a monthly meeting. Not sure if the other teams do.

A lot of kids don't mind and won't complain, but that's not the issue. The issue is the season is too long, and many practices involve too much contact. No need for 6-12 year old kids to play 14 or 15 games.

 

I agree. Pop Warner implemented new rules in 2012 about contact during practice. Also limited the head on blocking and tackling drills to 3 yards. Which keeps kids from just smashing each other like Big Horn Sheep. I was wondering if any of the youth football organizations in this area have followed suit?

  • Author
I agree. Pop Warner implemented new rules in 2012 about contact during practice. Also limited the head on blocking and tackling drills to 3 yards. Which keeps kids from just smashing each other like Big Horn Sheep. I was wondering if any of the youth football organizations in this area have followed suit?

 

NKYFL is part of the Heads up program.

NKYFL is part of the Heads up program.

 

Heads Up basically concentrates on tackling, equipment, heat and hydration, and concussion awareness, and is a great first step. However, more needs to be done in the NKYFL to address coaches putting together effective practice schedules, the amounts of hitting going on in practice, and the sheer length of the season. There are still lots of coaches using old school methods, especially concerning tackling drills (the old hamburger drill for example) that do more harm than good.

Anyone ever ask what the qualifications are of the guys/gals 'coaching' your kids? Might scare you.

Anyone ever ask what the qualifications are of the guys/gals 'coaching' your kids? Might scare you.

 

My understanding was that the qualifications were basically that...well...you had to be asked.

I hope they are being subjected to some type of background check.

 

I believe you are correct, you get asked to coach. You accept and parents are left to wonder if little Billy is being coached by a guy that got cut from his HS frosh team or played the trumpet. I remember a guy that coached that thought he was the next Lombardi only to find out he was a swimmer in HS with no FB experience at all.

I hope they are being subjected to some type of background check.

 

I believe you are correct, you get asked to coach. You accept and parents are left to wonder if little Billy is being coached by a guy that got cut from his HS frosh team or played the trumpet. I remember a guy that coached that thought he was the next Lombardi only to find out he was a swimmer in HS with no FB experience at all.

 

I'm sure background (criminal) are done especially in this day and time. I really don't think playing the game always translates into being a good coach and I'm sure there are plenty of good coaches at higher levels that may have had little football experience. Good coaches are out there for the right reasons. To teach the game and try to instill a love for that game. The coaches who are out there just to make sure JR is getting to play the spots he wants him to and the win at all costs guys are just as bad. My hats off to the guys that donate their time. Coaching in this day and time must be hard. Way too many distractions for the youth of today. Social media, video games etc etc I could go on. A good coach to me is one who can get your child to improve at something and make you want to come back and play again next year.

  • Author

Background checks are mandatory in nkyfl also 2 hours of heads up football class. Don't forget these coaches are volunteering their time for free 2 hours 3 to 4 days a week.

Anyone ever ask what the qualifications are of the guys/gals 'coaching' your kids? Might scare you.

 

Criminal background checks are required at the BCPWFL.

To coach any sport in the Diocese you must be Virtus trained.

 

But that's bare minimum stuff. Reviewing someone for their coaching qualifications and what bearing that has in terms of bringing them onto the team is up to the head coach.

Background checks are mandatory in nkyfl also 2 hours of heads up football class. Don't forget these coaches are volunteering their time for free 2 hours 3 to 4 days a week.

 

I'm not so sure about that. I do know some organizations do require it, but I'm not sure it's in the NKYFL bylaws, and if it is, I'm not aware that it is being actively enforced.

  • Author
I'm not so sure about that. I do know some organizations do require it, but I'm not sure it's in the NKYFL bylaws, and if it is, I'm not aware that it is being actively enforced.

 

Your probably right.

  • Author
I'm not so sure about that. I do know some organizations do require it, but I'm not sure it's in the NKYFL bylaws, and if it is, I'm not aware that it is being actively enforced.

 

Your probably right.

Your probably right.

 

Again, I could be wrong. But in 4 years with a previous organization as a coach and board member, I was never required to submit to a background check. I do know of one organization for sure that does require head coaches to do background checks (and I'm sure there are others), but that info isn't turned over to the NKYFL. I think anyone that has any dealings with kids should have to complete a background check. But after many years in retail, and from the number of people I've seen fail background checks simply to volunteer with Kenton County schools, I suspect there are more than a few coaches in youth organizations in the area that could not get through a background check.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.