Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stats question

Featured Replies

I have a question about blocked shots.

 

Player A on offense drives down the lane and is fouled during the his shot by Player B. Following up on the play is Player C who blocks the shot. Is Player C credited with a blocked shot?

I have a question about blocked shots.

 

Player A on offense drives down the lane and is fouled during the his shot by Player B. Following up on the play is Player C who blocks the shot. Is Player C credited with a blocked shot?

 

I would say no since the play is dead at the time the foul is committed. I don't know the rule, but I would not record a blocked shot in that situation.

I would say no since the play is dead at the time the foul is committed. I don't know the rule, but I would not record a blocked shot in that situation.

 

I agree.

But the play isn't dead at the time of the foul. Player C could still be called for goaltending. So shouldn't he still be able to get credit for a blocked shot too?

  • Author

And that is what I thought until someone brought up these two points:

1. If he does not block the shot and it goes in, the basket is good and we have an "and 1" situation

2. If he blocks it and it is ruled goal tending, the goal is good and we have an "and 1".

 

So with these two points in mind, shouldn't the block count as a blocked shot.

And that is what I thought until someone brought up these two points:

1. If he does not block the shot and it goes in, the basket is good and we have an "and 1" situation

2. If he blocks it and it is ruled goal tending, the goal is good and we have an "and 1".

 

So with these two points in mind, shouldn't the block count as a blocked shot.

 

Great points...I guess I would have to be there statting to see what I would do.

But the play isn't dead at the time of the foul. Player C could still be called for goaltending. So shouldn't he still be able to get credit for a blocked shot too?

 

I see what you're saying, but from the shooter's standpoint, he doesn't get a FG attempt on the play unless it's a goal-tend. So I would think it couldn't be a blocked shot for that reason.

Statman would turn to me at that point and say, "What do you think". lol

I see what you're saying, but from the shooter's standpoint, he doesn't get a FG attempt on the play unless it's a goal-tend. So I would think it couldn't be a blocked shot for that reason.

 

Wait a second Randy. The shooter does get the attempt if it goes in.

And that is what I thought until someone brought up these two points:

1. If he does not block the shot and it goes in, the basket is good and we have an "and 1" situation

2. If he blocks it and it is ruled goal tending, the goal is good and we have an "and 1".

 

So with these two points in mind, shouldn't the block count as a blocked shot.

 

But if it doesn't go in, it's not a FG attempt. :lol:

I'd give him the block since if it goes in then it counts.

No block since there was not a shot attempt in the books.

Also there would be no rebound for the person who grabbed the blocked shot since it never really happened.

No blocked shot. Can't get credit for the block shot if there is no shot attempt.

No blocked shot. Can't get credit for the block shot if there is no shot attempt.

 

Excellent discussion and maniac is the winner in my mind...no shot attempt = no blocked shot.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.