Stats question

I have a question about blocked shots.

Player A on offense drives down the lane and is fouled during the his shot by Player B. Following up on the play is Player C who blocks the shot. Is Player C credited with a blocked shot?

I would say no since the play is dead at the time the foul is committed. I don't know the rule, but I would not record a blocked shot in that situation.

And that is what I thought until someone brought up these two points:

1. If he does not block the shot and it goes in, the basket is good and we have an "and 1" situation

2. If he blocks it and it is ruled goal tending, the goal is good and we have an "and 1".

So with these two points in mind, shouldn't the block count as a blocked shot.

1. If he does not block the shot and it goes in, the basket is good and we have an "and 1" situation

2. If he blocks it and it is ruled goal tending, the goal is good and we have an "and 1".

Great points...I guess I would have to be there statting to see what I would do.

But the play isn't dead at the time of the foul. Player C could still be called for goaltending. So shouldn't he still be able to get credit for a blocked shot too?

I see what you're saying, but from the shooter's standpoint, he doesn't get a FG attempt on the play unless it's a goal-tend. So I would think it couldn't be a blocked shot for that reason.

But if it doesn't go in, it's not a FG attempt. :lol: