Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK/Ark Double Foul: The Dreaded Blarge

Featured Replies

  • Author
:thumb:

 

I thought it was a charge on TV when I first saw and was very surprised that it was initially called a block.

 

I just didn't know you could have a play be called both, ignorance on my part I guess.

 

It's not ignorance on your part. It's logical to think that way.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anyone would question Clyde on the rules. The gripe most UK fans have I believe is that one ref emphatically made a blocking call and none of the other refs signaled anything immediately (or at least it went unnoticed). From the stands, it looked like a charge.

 

And the Arkansas' coach goes crazy, and two officials trot over to the replay monitor while the 3rd is lining Teague up for free throws. So while I thought in live action it was a charge, it APPEARS that we end up getting a video review to determine block/charge and out of that we get the ludicrous "blarge" as Clyde calls it.

 

Can we get some common sense written into the rule book? Between this nonsense, and the 6 players on the court, common sense is desperately needed.

  • Author
And the Arkansas' coach goes crazy, and two officials trot over to the replay monitor while the 3rd is lining Teague up for free throws. So while I thought in live action it was a charge, it APPEARS that we end up getting a video review to determine block/charge and out of that we get the ludicrous "blarge" as Clyde calls it.

 

Can we get some common sense written into the rule book? Between this nonsense, and the 6 players on the court, common sense is desperately needed.

 

Why don't we just go to the video for all block/charge calls?

Why don't we just go to the video for all block/charge calls?

 

That's not what I'm saying at all. Just that the rules for when its allowable to go to replay seem odd, and especially so in this situation.

 

When officials disagree about who gets the ball (after it going out of bounds) they simply come together, discuss, and make a decision. Why isnt' this the same thing? It's quite clear that its impossible to have a simultaneous block and charge (unless we start talking about 2 defenders I guess), so calling it that way is idiotic. If that is how the rule is written, why don't we go to the arrow when officials initially disagree over who has possession?

Why don't we just go to the video for all block/charge calls?

 

I really hope it doesn't come to that. And I'd bet we see a lot less charge calls stick if that's the case.

My guess is we didn't see the official who got the player control because of the camera angle.

 

I was at the game, couldn't see him do it there either.

When there is a double whistle ie one official calls a block and the other calls a charge, by rule, you administer fouls to both and go to the point of interruption.

 

I'd have to see the video again but I thought the foul happened before Teague released the ball which means POI would have been UK possession. However, if Mobaar is correct and it went to the arrow that means they felt the foul happened after the ball was released.

 

Regardless, they went by the rulebook.

 

I think we should implement a new rule that allows the officials to fight (like hockey). Winning official gets the call.

FWIW, I watch a loooooot of basketball every year and have never seen a double foul called at any level on a charge/block situation.

My guess is we didn't see the official who got the player control because of the camera angle.

 

I saw it. It happened right in front of where I was sitting. Greene had at PC foul and Nance had the block on the baseline.

FWIW, I watch a loooooot of basketball every year and have never seen a double foul called at any level on a charge/block situation.

 

First time I've ever seen it, as well. I've seen both refs make different calls then talk about it and decided one way or the other.

First time I've ever seen it, as well. I've seen both refs make different calls then talk about it and decided one way or the other.

 

That's the one thing you CAN'T do as an official. As stupid as it is, you have to follow the rulebook.

That's the one thing you CAN'T do as an official. As stupid as it is, you have to follow the rulebook.

 

Certainly you've seen a ref call the ball out of bounds one way then another overrule him right?

Certainly you've seen a ref call the ball out of bounds one way then another overrule him right?

 

I have seen it. As a former official, I've done it. But, block/charge is a different animal. Here's why:

Out of bounds calls are black and white. It either went off of player A or player B (in most circumstances). The only time I ever went to a fellow official to change their OB call was when I was 150% sure. Maybe the calling official was right on top of the play and couldn't see who it went off of. Or there are some instances, for instance on the baseline, where an official is watching his/her primary and the ball goes out and they have no idea and guess. Afterall, they have a 50/50 chance of getting it right! This is when a fellow official should come in and help out if they are certain of who touched it last.

Block/charges are different. There's a lot of grey area, because it's a judgment call. From one angle it could have looked like the defender got there. From across the floor, it might have looked as if the defender slid under the offense. I can tell you there is a difference. The best learning tool for officials is "The Eye in the Sky", the video recorder. I can tell you from experience that watching the replay of plays helps officials because it shows plays from a different angle.

I hope this makes some sense.

That's the one thing you CAN'T do as an official. As stupid as it is, you have to follow the rulebook.

 

So the rulebook should be changed. Period. If that is the rule (and I believe you/Clyde), its idiotic and should be changed.

Block/charges are different. There's a lot of grey area, because it's a judgment call. From one angle it could have looked like the defender got there. From across the floor, it might have looked as if the defender slid under the offense. I can tell you there is a difference. The best learning tool for officials is "The Eye in the Sky", the video recorder. I can tell you from experience that watching the replay of plays helps officials because it shows plays from a different angle.

I hope this makes some sense.

 

Its certainly different (black/white vs judgement) but it is 100% NEVER BOTH. Judge whichever you want, but don't say its both. Calling both GUARANTEES that you got it wrong.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.