Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK/Ark Double Foul: The Dreaded Blarge

Featured Replies

When I officiated I always held the closed hand to stop the clock, we always discussed in pre game to give this call to the lead official that the play was coming towards . That was why it was important for us not to give the signal to quick on this call . If we did come out with both officials giving different calls it went with the lead officials call

  • Replies 64
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I officiated I always held the closed hand to stop the clock, we always discussed in pre game to give this call to the lead official that the play was coming towards . That was why it was important for us not to give the signal to quick on this call . If we did come out with both officials giving different calls it went with the lead officials call

 

Which is how it should be. It's either a block or a charge, it can't be both. Stupid rule.

  • Author
When I officiated I always held the closed hand to stop the clock, we always discussed in pre game to give this call to the lead official that the play was coming towards . That was why it was important for us not to give the signal to quick on this call . If we did come out with both officials giving different calls it went with the lead officials call

 

What did you tell the coach who came out on the short end of the stick?

Oh, I watched you play. I know what you tried to do.

 

So I come out strong with a charge call and then my partner gets me to change my mind. How do you explain that the the coach of the defensive team? What might be a good explanation?

 

Haha! It wasn't necessarily that I tried to do it. Just caught taught tangled up, so figured let's make this a best case scenario. No intent to hurt, but if I could get their best player (D-1 athlete) an extra foul, why not. Got a little rep sometimes for being a dirty player, I thought it was being smart.

 

But anyway...

 

I guess you'd have to go with the explaination that my partner saw it differently than I and we went with his call, which happens all the time in basketball. It's definitely a difficult situation. If I were a coach, yeah I would be pretty fired up about that explaination, but I would at least know what they were talking about. If the officials came over and said we are calling a block and a charge, I would be irrate and then I guess look like a fool later when someone showed me the rule book. Either way, I don't feel like the "blarge call" is the best answer in my opinion.

Oh, I watched you play. I know what you tried to do.

 

So I come out strong with a charge call and then my partner gets me to change my mind. How do you explain that the the coach of the defensive team? What might be a good explanation?

 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

  • Author
Haha! It wasn't necessarily that I tried to do it. Just caught taught tangled up, so figured let's make this a best case scenario. No intent to hurt, but if I could get their best player (D-1 athlete) an extra foul, why not. Got a little rep sometimes for being a dirty player, I thought it was being smart.

 

But anyway...

 

I guess you'd have to go with the explaination that my partner saw it differently than I and we went with his call, which happens all the time in basketball. It's definitely a difficult situation. If I were a coach, yeah I would be pretty fired up about that explaination, but I would at least know what they were talking about. If the officials came over and said we are calling a block and a charge, I would be irrate and then I guess look like a fool later when someone showed me the rule book. Either way, I don't feel like the "blarge call" is the best answer in my opinion.

 

When do we see two officials raise their hands and make different calls and we only go with one? The only one I can think is if you have a call where one has a foul for , say, a hold but the other official says he had a travel before the foul. That makes sense and is easy to explain to a coach. The blarge isn't that. There is no good acceptable explanation you can give a coach.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

Glory days haha! Grown up a lot since then, pick up ball at the rec will do that to ya!

When do we see two officials raise their hands and make different calls and we only go with one? The only one I can think is if you have a call where one has a foul for , say, a hold but the other official says he had a travel before the foul. That makes sense and is easy to explain to a coach. The blarge isn't that. There is no good acceptable explanation you can give a coach.

 

But you think a coach will be accepting of an official coming over and saying we are going to call both a block and a charge? They probably wouldn't argue as much because they'd be dumbfounded.

Honestly I don't remember it happening because like I said I always marked it , if I was the trail to see if the lead called . If I would have made the call I would have explained it that it was the leads call . But I always marked first hesitated to see if the lead made the call (that was the way I was taught on that call ) . I was also always told that an official was doing a good job if the game went an no one notice the officials was on the floor . Police the game not effect the out come which in my opinion to many officials do today .

I don't think anyone would question Clyde on the rules. The gripe most UK fans have I believe is that one ref emphatically made a blocking call and none of the other refs signaled anything immediately (or at least it went unnoticed). From the stands, it looked like a charge.

YES there is go old school let the lead make the call first ,trail marks in case it is not called by the lead .But also I don't like the 3 officials . I told you I was old school official the 3rd one just lets the officials get lazy in my opinion.

It basically boils down to these to officials (Tony Greene and Mike Nance) not holding their whistles.

By the way, this was the 3rd game in a row UK has had Mike Nance. I find that odd.

Glory days haha! Grown up a lot since then, pick up ball at the rec will do that to ya!
Wait til it hurts to bad to even play rec, that means retire from playing and question the referees calls now .LOL
I don't think anyone would question Clyde on the rules. The gripe most UK fans have I believe is that one ref emphatically made a blocking call and none of the other refs signaled anything immediately (or at least it went unnoticed). From the stands, it looked like a charge.

 

:thumb:

 

I thought it was a charge on TV when I first saw and was very surprised that it was initially called a block.

 

I just didn't know you could have a play be called both, ignorance on my part I guess.

  • Author
I don't think anyone would question Clyde on the rules. The gripe most UK fans have I believe is that one ref emphatically made a blocking call and none of the other refs signaled anything immediately (or at least it went unnoticed). From the stands, it looked like a charge.

 

My guess is we didn't see the official who got the player control because of the camera angle.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.