CovCath @ Cincinnati Elder Thoughts and Predictions

The 6-0 Colonels invade the Pit on Friday night (12/23). Very tough place to play.

An opposing coach's view on the game:

Elder has two guards that are very solid. They won’t "wow" you but they get the job done by not turning the ball over and they are capable 3 point shooters. Their go to guy is Kyle Rudolph, he is a sophomore big kid that is capable of stepping out and making jump shots. They are very, very disciplined on offense and defense. Most of the time they will play man but will throw the occasional zone at you to control tempo or just to use it as a wrinkle. They will be very patient on offense and make you guard until they get a shot that they want, very rarely will you see them force anything. They are very well coached and they have better players than they did last year. Should be a good test for Cov Cath.

I am looking forward to some grub at Price Hill Chili before the game almost as much as I am the evening's tilt. :thumb:

I don't know to much about Cincy Elder's team this year, but I do know that any time you play at the pit you are in for a battle. With that said I am going with Covcath in this one, I think TJ has another big game and Covcath wins by 4 in the pit. I say it will be 68-64 Blue Colonels.

Elder has slipped over the last few years, but it is never easy playing at the Pit.

From some people I trust, feel that CovCath may actually be a better team than they were last year...and may be emerging as the region favorites, or on par with Holmes, at this juncture.

Losing Tierney for some time will hurt, but they have some quality depth.

In regards to the PIT being a tough place to play, I would say...football, YES...basketball, NO. From the games that I've seen CCH play there the atmosphere was rather dull with more CCH support than Elder. I'm sure it's totally different for GCL games but it was nothing to write home about when I was there.

In regards to the PIT being a tough place to play, I would say...football, YES...basketball, NO. From the games that I've seen CCH play there the atmosphere was rather dull with more CCH support than Elder. I'm sure it's totally different for GCL games but it was nothing to write home about when I was there.

I don't think it has ever been the fans that were the issue in basketball NineOh. :sssh: ;)

Agreed. Last time I was there (Nesto's SR year), there were about 12 students there.

From the scouting report above, sounds like a good matchup. CCH thrives off of creating pressure on the offense and hoping for steals and turnovers. If Elder is a disciplined as described, that will be a good battle.

I hope Elder plays man as it allows for TJ and Bovard to penetrate and either score or dish.

Should be fun and give CCH fans a better indication of what CCH has. Of course, this will tell us nothing as far as how CCH stacks up against the Bulldogs.

HSSB - I think that opening post and coaches' view is dead on your typical Elder team. I could've told you that scouting report, just without the names & grades. ;)

I'd love to see this game, and may have to make the trek over.

With that said, I think Elder will come out and be very physical with the Colonels. I'd be shocked if they let TJ get 20. I'd be surprised if CCH or Elder scored 60. At the Pit (which I agree is very overrated), the refs will allow very physical play. I think Elder wins a close one in the 50's, as CCH continues to adjust to physical play without Tierney at the point.

I hear Elder has a 6'8" soph or junior that is a really nice player.

As for the PIT, I disagree with who ever thinks its not a hard place to play, because it is. Everytime I've been there the crowds were good size and the Elder fans loved when the Kentucky teams came across the river. It gave them a chance to dress up in all the farm gear they could find and heckle the players.

Not to mention the visitors fans aren't aloud to sit anywhere near the court. They have their own section above and away from everyone else. For those who don't know about this, imagine this. If your team was playing at Conner you would sit across from the bench in the upper level with the rails in front of you and you aren't permitted to sit anywhere else because of season ticket holders at the pit. Most impressive are the scoreboard which you don't see at alot of colleges.

I also believe the away team fans pay a different price than the Panthers fans.

The Pit is a tough place to play, but it's nowhere near as difficult as the football field.

I'd say that Covington Catholic is actually a tougher place to play than The Pit, actually.

The visiting fans do have to sit in the upper deck, but it's not that big of a deal IMO. The bigger problem for visiting teams is the Elder fans behind both benches, if anything.

BTW, that scoreboard you mentioned was turned off a few years ago, at the request of CCH. The sign flashes & blinks, and was a distraction for some of the shooters from Park Hills.

To be honest, the most difficult thing about playing in The Pit, as HSSB alluded to, is often times the officiating.