Has the "drive for five" become the most lackluster season in Bluebird history?

I know that many Highlands fans are not happy with what the SOS has been this year, but the facts are that HHS is 8-0, is atop all the Class 4A rankings right now, and has a player in Towles who is likely the frontrunner for Mr. Kentucky Football, an award which ONLY ONE HHS player has ever won. Who knows what will happen from here on out, but I just don't buy this season being lackluster to-date. I guess I must be missing something...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, HHS let CovCath hang 37 on them? You are kidding, aren't you? Let them?

That has got to be the most over the top comment posted on BGP's even by a HHS fan. I guess CovCath outstanding O-line, Gabe Gray, Blake Bir and his Wr's had better send a thank you note to HHS thanking the Bluebirds for laying down!

Why not say instead, that CovCath gave HHS all they could handle but still won the game! But HHS let them? :rolleyes:

I agree with the bold print above. Cov. Cath. played hard and almost pulled it out. That game definitely revealed a big weakness in Highlands defensive line that the coaches had better improve or they might not beat Elder, or Cov. Cath. in the playoffs. With that being said, I hope the Birds go undefeated.:thumb:

He's a Highlands fan mainly pointing out the ease of the schedule has made for a lot of blowouts which has taken some of the luster off of the excitement of the season. Outside of the CovCath game there really hasn't been much excitement. I would expect this to change though as the playoffs near as well as tonight.

He's a Highlands fan mainly pointing out the ease of the schedule has made for a lot of blowouts which has taken some of the luster off of the excitement of the season. Outside of the CovCath game there really hasn't been much excitement. I would expect this to change though as the playoffs near as well as tonight.

Exactly. Take nothing away from the talented group of kids this year. There have been some spectacular plays.

Here you have it: 4 wax jobs of Harrison' date=' Holmes, Pendleton, and Mason Co. Mason's game was a bust when their stud RB Harris had his season end prematurely. They played a Dixie squad that was billed as "Pike vs. Towles". However, it was anything but with their best RB out and an awful defensive effort to boot. The Ryle game will be much of the same with Elliott now out. To add insult to injury, the Birds let Cov. Cath hang 37 on em'. So now we have the latest buzzkill in what was billed by many as one of the best crosstown rivalries of 2011, [b']now seemingly turning into a game that has absolutely no meaningful significance whatsoever[/b]. Yet still, with the season almost over, most fans are still scratching their heads wondering just how good the Birds really are this year......

I bolded two parts of your post for commenting...

The Elder team Highlands faces tonight (at Elder) will probably represent the toughest competition Highlands will face all year, including the playoffs. So, if HHS plays well tonight then I think it will bode very well for the team going forward this year. Thus, the Elder game is hardly meaningless... other than the CCH game (since CCH probably represents HHS' biggest roadblock to winning the 4A state title), this Elder game may be the most meaningful game HHS plays this year.

And no one should buy any of this stuff about Elder being a terrible team (by KY standards) this year, with or without suspensions. As someone posted earlier, Elder would likely be a top two or three team in KY this year. Plus, I noticed that Elder has a junior RB (who is expected to play tonight) who is about 6'3" and 230 pounds, running behind a huge O-line. I can't think of any better preparation for having to face teams like CCH or Johnson Central in the playoffs than having to go against this tonight. Go 'Birds!

I bolded two parts of your post for commenting...

The Elder team Highlands faces tonight (at Elder) will probably represent the toughest competition Highlands will face all year, including the playoffs. So, if HHS plays well tonight then I think it will bode very well for the team going forward this year. Thus, the Elder game is hardly meaningless... other than the CCH game (since CCH probably represents HHS' biggest roadblock to winning the 4A state title), this Elder game may be the most meaningful game HHS plays this year.[/QUOTE]

I agree JB . If Highlands loses this game , I can see the Ohio fans looking down on Ky football even more than they do now . With the suspended starters not playing for Elder , they will be saying that Highlands couldn't even beat Elders second team. On the other hand , If Highlands wins or wins big , the other Ohio schools will look at the Elder program a little differently . I won't say that they would be the laughing stock of the GCL South , but the Elder program would take a huge step back in the eyes of the other Ohio teams . Go Birds !!!

^ Should Highlands win (and in no way am I counting my chickens... this game is a toss-up), I suspect it will be the first time in a long, long time (maybe ever) that a GCL-S team lost to two Kentucky opponents in the same year. Plus, both losses would have been home losses for the GCL-S team. It is precisely because of stats like this that everyone should be careful in predicting a HHS victory. GCL-S teams don't often lose, and very, very rarely lose to KY teams. This game will be a tough one for both teams.

Here's a question: what Kentucky teams (besides Louisville Trinity) have ever beaten Elder?

Highlands is currently 0-4 against the Panthers. I know that CovCath has played Elder (and played in some close games), but I don't recall CCH winning them.

How about Louisville St. X... have they ever played against and beaten Elder?

I know that Trinity has defeated Elder in 2002, 2010 and 2011. Also, Elder beat Trinity in 2009. Have there been other games played between Trinity and Elder?