Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AP Poll from 1986

Featured Replies

I came across an old clipping that had the AP Poll on the same page. At first I thought it was from 1985 but since Newport wasn't included in the AAA poll, now I am pretty sure it was from 1986. It was posted the week of the first round of the playoffs. If anyone can confirm the year, I'd appreciate it.

 

The poll looks odd to me now because of the Jefferson County segregation and because they only ranked the top 5 teams in each class. There is a lot of same-old names on there but there are some that may surprise you, too.

 

Anyway, I enjoyed looking at it trying to remember some of the teams on there. Maybe you will too.

 

.86 AP Poll.jpg

  • Replies 62
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That brings back fond memories. 3A used to be a bear of a division.

  • Author

Belfry ended up losing to Owensboro in the finals thaty year, but I can't remember how the other classes fared.

 

Was that Cumberland team quarterbacked by Freddie Maggard?

There is something mystical to me about the old Jefferson County 4A. I can't pin down what I find so amazing about it.

Henry County's Tim Harris led the nation in scoring that year.

  • Author
Henry County's Tim Harris led the nation in scoring that year.
What were Tim's numbers that year?
  • Author
There is something mystical to me about the old Jefferson County 4A. I can't pin down what I find so amazing about it.
Me too, it was so different than anything we are used to now. And look at DeSales ranked ahead of St X, and Fairdale ahead of Trinity and St X.

This was also the year Danville beat Highlands in double OT by a missed PAT. Danville was also coached by Duffy this year.

  • Author
That brings back fond memories. 3A used to be a bear of a division.
Yes it was. All the classes were more competitive.

 

I was surprised not to see CovCath mentioned, didn't they win it all the following year?

I came across an old clipping that had the AP Poll on the same page. At first I thought it was from 1985 but since Newport wasn't included in the AAA poll, now I am pretty sure it was from 1986. It was posted the week of the first round of the playoffs. If anyone can confirm the year, I'd appreciate it.

 

I can confirm it, just looked it up in the Park City Daily News archives on Google News. It's from November 4th, 1986. I figured it had to be from that year anyway, as Warren Central only had one 9-1 record during the days of the Jefferson County/State AAAA split. They started 6-0 that year, best start in school history. Boone County, down there in the receiving votes, blasted the Dragons by 20 in the State AAAA championship, overall semifinals. In fact, Boone rolled up the #1, #2, and #3 teams in that poll by an average of 20 points a game.

Yes it was. All the classes were more competitive.

 

I was surprised not to see CovCath mentioned, didn't they win it all the following year?

 

They won it in 1987.

 

PT won in 1985.

Owensboro in 1986.

  • Author

Thanks DF. A fun thread would be "Guess the year" and post a poll at random from years past.

  • Author
They won it in 1987.

 

PT won in 1985.

Owensboro in 1986.

That is what I thought. CovCath went from not making the playoffs in 86 to winning it all in 87.

 

Belfry was on the losing end of both of those (85 & 86) :cry:

That is what I thought. CovCath went from not making the playoffs in 86 to winning it all in 87.

 

Belfry was on the losing end of both of those :cry:

 

I did see that. I didn't want to bring up bad memories.

 

Wasn't it 1980 when the Belfry area had a lot of fires going during the playoffs?

  • Author

No I think that was 86 but I was away at college so I can't confirm it.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.