Is Joe Morgan really the greatest Red of all time?

Who is the best Red of all time?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Red of all time?

^ Amazing.

It's amazing to think how loaded the mid 70's teams for the Reds were. With a little better starting pitching (say get Seaver in '74 rather than '77) and there would have been no debate over the greatest team of all time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perez played 16 years in Cincy, hit 287 HRs, 1192 RBIs and a .283 BA (.840 OPS).

Joe only played eight years in Cincy, hit .288 with 152 HRs, 612 RBIs, and a .288 BA

I give the edge to Tony for longevity and hitting lower in the order, not to mention Joe joined the Reds during their glory run of the 70s while Perez played in the mid to late 60s on not so good teams

Why not Tony? You ask any of the other big 3, and they all say Tony was the key to the big Red Machine's success both on the field, and in the clubhouse.

I think it comes down to longevity versus greatness for a short period of time. Several of Morgan's seasons in the mid 70's are considered among the greatest seasons in the history of baseball. If we are going to use total numbers as a Red, there are quite a few that have better numbers as a Red than Morgan strictly due to longevity with the team. Plus, you have to include Morgan's .400+ OBP, the stolen bases, the Gold Gloves ... add that in there and I just don't think Perez can be argued above Morgan. I don't discount Perez at all. He is a Hall of Famer and rightfully so. But Joe Morgan had some incredible seasons with the Reds.

This is an invalid poll until my guy Dunn is on it.

Here are a few items for you that the Dunn haters will probably jump all over:

Adam Dunn has the 5th best OBP in Reds history ... just ahead of Pete Rose.

Dunn is #4 all time in HR's as a Red ... just ahead of Ted Kluszewski and just behind Perez.

Dunn is #3 all time as a Red in OPS. The top 5 in OPS in order are Votto .961, Robinson .941, Dunn .900, Morgan .885, E. Davis .877 and then #6 is Ken Griffey at .876.

Dunn is no doubt going to be in the Reds Hall of Fame.

Here are a few items for you that the Dunn haters will probably jump all over:

Adam Dunn has the 5th best OBP in Reds history ... just ahead of Pete Rose.

Dunn is #4 all time in HR's as a Red ... just ahead of Ted Kluszewski and just behind Perez.

Dunn is #3 all time as a Red in OPS. The top 5 in OPS in order are Votto .961, Robinson .941, Dunn .900, Morgan .885, E. Davis .877 and then #6 is Ken Griffey at .876.

Dunn is no doubt going to be in the Reds Hall of Fame.

Rightfully so. :thumb: