Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic at Ryle (Scrimmage)

Who do you think wins this game? 35 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Who do you think wins this game and why?

  • Replies 32
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we add an option the poll?

 

* How in the world can you tell who "wins" a scrimmage?

  • Author
Can we add an option the poll?

 

* How in the world can you tell who "wins" a scrimmage?

 

One team scores more than the other. :D

Even better, freshman team scrimmaging each other as well on practice field @ 6pm

Any team that comes out bragging about winning a scrimmage are losers.

What is interesting about this scrimmage is if Ryle hopes to be a factor in 6A they should blow CCH out and if CCH expects to challenge Highlands they should blow Ryle out. In other words, this scrimmage will tell us a lot.

Smart coaches don't "show their hand" in a scrimmage. Why would they? Scrimmages are to work out the kinks. Get down substitutions, alignments, assignments, etc. That's why they're called scrimmages. Unless 1 teams is significantly superior to the other, most scrimmages end close as far as scoring because that's not what the scrimmage is for. Most coaches don't place much merit in a scrimmage "win". It's just part of the preseason preparation. Sure, it's always nice to say "we won" but until it counts toward the season record, it doesn't count. In this scrimmage, my prediction is that it should either end in a tie or maybe CCH gets the "win" by 1 score.

Fan, if your prediction is correct then it will be a long year for both teams.

Fan, if your prediction is correct then it will be a long year for both teams.

 

Define long year? What if Ryle has re-tooled and are a caliber similar to last year? What if CovCath's defense has significantly improved it's ability to stop the run? While I'll admit those are both BIG if's, I think a close scrimmage does not mean that both teams will have long years. I could see both schools playing tight in a scrimmage, and still have very successful seasons.

 

If you define long years as not being able to beat Highlands or win the state champinships then the vast majority of KY High school teams will have very long years.

kyvince, both teams being extremely strong, thus having a close scrimmage is certainly possible, but highly doubtful, so yes I think a close scrimmage means a long year for both teams.

kyvince, both teams being extremely strong, thus having a close scrimmage is certainly possible, but highly doubtful, so yes I think a close scrimmage means a long year for both teams.

 

We disagree on behalf of both schools.

 

If I'm Ryle I work on the passing game more than I will probably pass in the regular season. I want to find out if it's something I can use effectively or do I give it to Travis 45 times per game. I want to figure out who my Mike is since I have big shoes to fill. I might try two or three kids. I also want to see if I can find a 2nd runner so that if my passing game isn't where I want it to be and I don't want to kill Travis I have another option. Maybe it's there. Maybe it's not. The scrimmage is the time to find out.

 

For CCH, I want to see who replaces Connelly and Schult on the outside for Bir to go to. Connelly was a huge safety blanket for Bir last year. Who is is this year? Do we have one ? Maybe I find out that I do not and then I adjust my offense accordingly. Do I have anyone ready to step into a hole and stop a run? Do I stay back defensively and react or do I become aggressive with blitz packages? I might give more carries to my 2nd and 3rd backs to see if they're ready to relieve Gabe Gray. I already know what I've got in Gray so I don't need him to have a lot of carries and risk being injured. Which of my 7 or 8 DB candidates can do it in a real game vs practice?

 

Coaches approach scrimmages differently. Dale probably approaches his to win especially against T. Works fine for him. The rest of us are not HHS or T but that doesn't mean that by playoff time these questions will not be answered and we then go head-to-head with what we now know works.

You should be a Coach Clyde.

 

Both teams also have regular season games next week and I am sure they would like to build some momentum going into the regular season. If each of these teams had two scrimmages I would lean more your way Clyde but as it stands I think both teams need to figure your concerns out in practice and use the scrimmage to build momentum.

A week before your first game is not the time for experiments. What you see in this one will be very similar to next week's regular season game with your starters attempting to get in sync. You may tweak a few things before next week, but that's about it. If this was being played 3 weeks ago, you would have time to toy around.

If I'm not mistaken this will be approached like a regular season game with the scoreboard, clock etc operating as usual.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.