Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Central Hardin 21 Mercer County 2 ( 5 Innings)

Featured Replies

This had to be the most lopsided State Finals in the history of the KHSAA.

Congratulations to Central Hardin on the State Championship and congratulations to Mercer County on an outstanding season. Again, Mercer County left it all on the field with the win over PRP and were really at a disadvantage by playing so late last night. But honestly, the best team did win.

It also helped Central Hardin that they had one of their best pitchers available still. If I was told right, Mercer County started a freshman pitcher?

Congrats to Central Hardin on the state title. If my memory serves me right, the last time GRC was in the state tourney they played Dunbar in the first series, who also went on to win the state title.

Congrats to Central Hardin on the state title. If my memory serves me right, the last time GRC was in the state tourney they played Dunbar in the first series, who also went on to win the state title.

 

I don't believe GRC had ever participated in the state tournament before this season. It is possible they lost to Dunbar in the sectional.

It also helped Central Hardin that they had one of their best pitchers available still. If I was told right, Mercer County started a freshman pitcher?

 

They did. The Danville paper said prior to tonight's game his two biggest career starts were against Burgin in the first round of the district and against Lincoln County in the first round of the region. He will be a very good pitcher but Mercer County was just flat out of pitching and out of gas after the huge win against PRP.

Heck of a season for Central Hardin with a 36-4 record. Congrats to CH. Mercer surprised me by getting to the final and had a very fine year.

I don't believe GRC had ever participated in the state tournament before this season. It is possible they lost to Dunbar in the sectional.

 

That is right ..that is why I said, Dunbar in the first series....couldn't think of the word sectional. Point being seems like whoever we draw, that is who wins the state.

That is right ..that is why I said, Dunbar in the first series....couldn't think of the word sectional. Point being seems like whoever we draw, that is who wins the state.

 

Sorry about that Goldie, I didn't read your first post right. Yeah, that is some bad luck for Clark. If I'm not mistaken, did I read they have won the region five or six times, yet had never advanced to the state tournament before this year? That's some bad luck and tough opponents!

-Central Hardin's 21 runs tied for the most ever in a championship game. Bardstown St. Joseph beat Jenkins 21-10 at Parkway Field in Louisville in 1953.

 

-Central Hardin became the first fifth region school to win the state championship since Elizabethtown in 1975. Elizabethtown has won two state titles ('70 and '75), as has current fifth region school Caverna ('61 and '72).

 

-Mercer County became the first 12th region school to make it to the state championship since Somerset in 1981. Somerset's state title in 1974 marks the only championship win ever for a 12th region school.

Sorry about that Goldie, I didn't read your first post right. Yeah, that is some bad luck for Clark. If I'm not mistaken, did I read they have won the region five or six times, yet had never advanced to the state tournament before this year? That's some bad luck and tough opponents!

 

Believe the last time we went was in 2007...hard to get out of the 10th region with Harrison Co.

Mercer County was really at a major disadvantage; they weren't allowed under KHSAA rules to use their top pitchers and went to a young kid who wasn't ready for that stage.

JT Long is a freshman but I don't think that was as much a factor as was the early errors Mercer had. He's not much of a strikeout pitcher and he never threw harder than 79 on the gun. Mercer ended the game with more errors than hits and JT Long had already been pulled when Central Hardin had their 14 run inning. I understand the thought that he may not have been ready to pitch on this stage but Mercer had 2 pitchers that were capable of slowing down the Central Hardin bats and neither was eligible to pitch tonight. It seems that you must have 3 stud pitchers to win this tourney. And some luck....

JT Long is a freshman but I don't think that was as much a factor as was the early errors Mercer had. He's not much of a strikeout pitcher and he never threw harder than 79 on the gun. Mercer ended the game with more errors than hits and JT Long had already been pulled when Central Hardin had their 14 run inning. I understand the thought that he may not have been ready to pitch on this stage but Mercer had 2 pitchers that were capable of slowing down the Central Hardin bats and neither was eligible to pitch tonight. It seems that you must have 3 stud pitchers to win this tourney. And some luck....

 

That's my point exactly...it's next to impossible to win with two really good pitchers - must have at least 3. The 14 run inning was just insult to injury. I'm not sure Mercer could've overcome the 7-run 2nd inning.

Central Hardin wins the state championship and celebrates:

 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.