Mark Gottfried to N.C. State ...

westsider

I suspect N.C. State would be fairly happy if Gottfried repeated his Alabama success there ...

I agree. I like Mark from his Murray State days and he leveled off at Bama, but some pretend he did absolutely nothing in his Tuscaloosa stint. He brought about a consistent winning product at Bama, got them to the Elite 8 once, and many trips to the top 25. We are talking about Alabama where basketball comes third behind football and spring football.

I can't help but think N.C. State would be a good gig if the right person came in there and took over. I know it was long ago, but they dominated at one time and are right in the middle of some historical programs. 2 national titles as well.

I can't help but think N.C. State would be a good gig if the right person came in there and took over. I know it was long ago, but they dominated at one time and are right in the middle of some historical programs. 2 national titles as well.

Being right there with UNC and Duke will be very tough. Gottfried usually had some very good talent/athletes at Bama so that tells me that he can recruit. I hope that he does well at N.C. State, the N.C State alums and fans are going to have to realize that....."Norm Sloan, David Thompson or Jimmy Valvano are not walking through that door".

Being right there with UNC and Duke will be very tough. Gottfried usually had some very good talent/athletes at Bama so that tells me that he can recruit. I hope that he does well at N.C. State, the N.C State alums and fans are going to have to realize that....."Norm Sloan, David Thompson or Jimmy Valvano are not walking through that door".

I think the big thing would probably be the negativity that fans may have. But like always, "you can't please everyone".

Perhaps. I was just referring to the fact that Gottfried was way down on NC State's wish list & wondering how he'll cope with that in the future.
I suspect Gottfried is happy just to be back in the coaching game with a chance to resurrect his career.