Mark Gottfried to N.C. State ...

westsider

If he loses it won't be fun. But it'll be even more problematic as the fifth, sixth, or seventh choice.
Why would that be problematic? He has the job, no matter where he was on the totem pole. And losing isn't fun in any case.

I fail to see your point ... why does that matter, if you already have the job?

Okay, I'll try this one more time. How will Gottfried be able to handle it if and when he starts to lose & the fan base starts saying things like he wasn't the guy we wanted, we settled for Gottfried, he was a desperate hire, etc. etc. How will that affect him, because it's obvious he was far from the first choice?

It doesn't matter right now because he does have the job & he has neither exceeded nor failed to meet expectations. If and when he loses, the NC State fans will naturally begin moaning because they struck out on every coach they wanted & had to settle for Gottfried. I'm wondering how he's going to be able to handle it when that day comes.

When you're the #1 choice and you lose, it's not fun but I think most fans will give you some time because you were the guy they wanted. When you're the #5 or 6 or 7 choice, they're not nearly as understanding. I'm wondering how Gottfried will be able to cope with that.