Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anyone Catch the End of ...

Featured Replies

Can someone explain why the player throwing the ball in the air should be a T?

 

Delay of game...

  • Replies 66
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Delay of game...

 

DOG's require a warning before issuing a T.

 

Secondly, how can you have a DOG when there has been no whistle?

DOG's require a warning before issuing a T.

 

Secondly, how can you have a DOG when there has been no whistle?

 

DOG if the walk or out of bounds was properly called. Nothing if they blew it as bad as they did...

DOG if the walk or out of bounds was properly called. Nothing if they blew it as bad as they did...

 

So had the whistle blown correctly and then he threw the ball the official would have a judgment call to make. Did he believe the player threw the ball in disgust with the call or did he think he threw it in excitement at thinking he won the game? First would get a T. The second would get a warning. However, let's remember that had a whistle blown there's a 99.99% chance the kid doesn't throw the ball anywhere.

However, let's remember that had a whistle blown there's a 99.99% chance the kid doesn't throw the ball anywhere.

 

I disagree there. He was launching that ball in celebration even if a whistle had started to blow IMO...

Delay of game...

 

Didnt the ball go way up in the stands as well?

Didnt the ball go way up in the stands as well?

 

Almost the 2nd deck...

Higgins has been pretty bad in games that I have seen him ref this year, always hate to see him in a UK game. I'm afraid the game has passed him by..........................

Expert said a player throwing the ball is not a "T", he is a player, example a long shot at the end of half/Game and the ball goes away into the stands. Four seconds left and he heaves the ball and it goes into the band section does he get a"T"? No.

Expert said a player throwing the ball is not a "T", he is a player, example a long shot at the end of half/Game and the ball goes away into the stands. Four seconds left and he heaves the ball and it goes into the band section does he get a"T"? No.

 

No difference in throwing the ball a football field away from the basket? Bad example...

Not my example, just sharing what an expert offical said on Mike & Mike. But he made sense and you don't.

 

Football field from a basket? He said he was a player not a cheer leader. And that was his point. I've shot some balls that looked like the St. Johns player, do I get a "T" because I'm a horrible shot?

Not my example, just sharing what an expert offical said on Mike & Mike. But he made since and you don't.

 

Now there's some irony.

 

There was no attempt at the basket. It wasn't a shot attempt, and the ball was thrown 300 feet (the length of a football field in case you missed the reference) in the opposite direction of the hoop. It was done in celebration because he thought the game was over. It clearly wasn't even though two guys that owe Moses $5 missed the call.

 

You're a football guy Larry. Think of the celebration rules in place at the NCAA level. While the hoops rules obviously don't match, it was just as bad as any legit TD celebration flagged on the grid iron. Saying it was no different than a last second shot attempt is laughable...

I am a football nut and ex basketball offical, he was a player, and again I was repeating what the expert said. And

I'm glad to give you a chuckle. Here is what I'd call for throwing the ball up in the air the distance of a football field. Nothing, but I would have given Lavin a "T" for being out of the box. And like I said this morning I brought that up and the radio host said "no one has said anything about Lavin, and you make sense". Did I spell sense wrong earlier?

 

Kyle Kurick was flagged for a celebration which is a small form of your football example, but that was a bad call.

He didn't throw the ball up in the air to run out the clock or make a last second attempt at the basket. He tried to throw it to the top of the gym in celebration of a game that wasn't over. And did so after he traveled and stepped out of bounds. Strike 1, 2 and 3...

So, what happens now, we call the Rutgers coach and have a do over. I don't think he was trying for the "Top of the Gym", kid was happy they moved on, refs made a mistake not 3 Strikes 1/2/3, but 4 like I pointed out. I guess we need a replay offical in a booth at side court, or give the coaches a red flag and one chance to have a review.

 

 

Oh, I went to bed after my last post, but I was wondering if you had any insight on my catch of Coach Lavin leaving his assigned area of the court.

 

Bottom______ in all sports we need to do better to get things right, even baseball has come a long way with looking at homeruns, but ask Jim Joyce.

 

As I officated games I tried to be a fair as I could and even went to my partner on a close call to get his perspective and even have changed a call to be fair. NFL/College game is so much better with what they have added to get it right. There is even a commerical about a kid who goes to his coach and tells him that the ref got it wrong..."coach I knocked the ball out, its their ball".

 

Its called playing hard but fair. Refs need to do the same thing and these three guys need to do more to show that they have to be more accountable. Running away into their locker room was just sorry on their part. Chances are Rutgers with 1.7 would have lost anyway, but it was just wrong.

 

GT, this last part was just my thoughts on the thread topic and has nothing to do that has been written between us.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.