Covington Latin

My dentist played for Covington Latin back in the late 70s and he said he remembers a picture hanging in the school at that time showing a team that made it to the 9th Region tournament, but he wasn't sure what year it was from. He asked me to do some research, but other than looking at microfilm of old newspapers, I thought maybe this would be as good a place as any to ask someone. Does anyone know what year or if at all Covington Latin participated in the 9th Region Boys' Basketball tournament?

My dentist played for Covington Latin back in the late 70s and he said he remembers a picture hanging in the school at that time showing a team that made it to the 9th Region tournament, but he wasn't sure what year it was from. He asked me to do some research, but other than looking at microfilm of old newspapers, I thought maybe this would be as good a place as any to ask someone. Does anyone know what year or if at all Covington Latin participated in the 9th Region Boys' Basketball tournament?

My guess would be when O'Connor played for them in the 70s.

In a post from 'AirYardGo' on a Covington Latin thread from about 2 weeks ago he said that in 1971 the Trojans lost to Holy Cross by 5 points in a district tourney game. I believe that was as close to a Regional tourney game that they ever got, but in the '71 season they apparently suited up a pretty decent squad.

In a post from 'AirYardGo' on a Covington Latin thread from about 2 weeks ago he said that in 1971 the Trojans lost to Holy Cross by 5 points in a district tourney game. I believe that was as close to a Regional tourney game that they ever got, but in the '71 season they apparently suited up a pretty decent squad.

Yes this is true, it was the first round of Districts, so Latin would have not made the regional. I am not 100% sure if they have made it any other years. The only way I could see them making it is if somehow HC, Holmes, and CCH all drew the same side of the District tourney and they beat Beechwood or Ludlow.

We've been lucky since the 97/98 season to have KHSAA.ORG to reference back to, to answer these type questions. It seems like a few years ago there was some discussion on BGP about someone that was working on a 9th Region history book, but I've forgotten the particulars of who that was. I don't know that I could ever seriously commit to the time it would take to do the research, but I think that if I did, I'd find it to be very entertaining work to compile such information. If I could someday make a habit of frequenting the library perhaps I'll catch a little fever of digging through the archives. No promises, but it sure sounds like it would be interesting fun. Anybody know anything more about the rumors from a few years back about a 9th Region book?

I think Melvin Webster, the AD at Brossart, has been working on a 9th Region History book for quite some time. I don't know if that's who you're thinking of or not.

We've been lucky since the 97/98 season to have KHSAA.ORG to reference back to, to answer these type questions. It seems like a few years ago there was some discussion on BGP about someone that was working on a 9th Region history book, but I've forgotten the particulars of who that was. I don't know that I could ever seriously commit to the time it would take to do the research, but I think that if I did, I'd find it to be very entertaining work to compile such information. If I could someday make a habit of frequenting the library perhaps I'll catch a little fever of digging through the archives. No promises, but it sure sounds like it would be interesting fun. Anybody know anything more about the rumors from a few years back about a 9th Region book?

Brian O'Connor. He holds a lot of the records at Thomas More and played pro basketball in Europe and the CBA for the Cincinnati Slammers. The O'Connors that played at Scott the last couple of years are his son and daughter.

He was also drafted by the Knicks.

Brian O'Connor. He holds a lot of the records at Thomas More and played pro basketball in Europe and the CBA for the Cincinnati Slammers. The O'Connors that played at Scott the last couple of years are his son and daughter.

Thats what i thought. His daughter Lauren signed a full ride for volleyball. I believe Daniel is playing somewhere d2. Quite the sports family!