Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rianna Gayheart Named 2010-11 8th Region Player of The Year

Featured Replies

Congratulations to Owen Counties Rianna Gayheart for being named

2010-11 8th Region Player of the Year. She is a great young lady and certainly is deserving of this honor!!!!!

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Rianna!! Some top quality competition to beat out this year...and still just a junior! (Got to admit though, it's kind of weird to see her win POY for the Region, but come in 2nd in the NCKC conference POY)

Congratulations to Rianna!! Some top quality competition to beat out this year...and still just a junior! (Got to admit though, it's kind of weird to see her win POY for the Region, but come in 2nd in the NCKC conference POY)

 

It looks like the bigger schools hold her in a higher regard... A lot of these things are very political, and several do not vote for the best players. That being said, IMO Gayheart is very deserving and is an excellent player. Congrats to her.

It looks like the bigger schools hold her in a higher regard... A lot of these things are very political, and several do not vote for the best players. That being said, IMO Gayheart is very deserving and is an excellent player. Congrats to her.

 

If you were to put all the players in the region into a "draft" the first 12 picks would look much different then the 12 people selected for all-region.

 

 

That being said I felt Gayheart or Whitfield were easily the two best players all-around this season in the region. Coming in as #1 and #3 on the list I would say the coaches did a pretty good job here. Most of the time the top of the list is pretty good...it's the bottom half that is normally more "political"

  • Author
If you were to put all the players in the region into a "draft" the first 12 picks would look much different then the 12 people selected for all-region.

That being said I felt Gayheart or Whitfield were easily the two best players all-around this season in the region. Coming in as #1 and #3 on the list I would say the coaches did a pretty good job here. Most of the time the top of the list is pretty good...it's the bottom half that is normally more "political"

Good Point. Here's the Top Five

1.Gayheart

2.Devine

3.Whitfield

4.Wainscott

5.Dixon

Congratulations to Rianna! A great accomplishment by a very solid player.

Just because I don't know.........What are the guidelines for this honor? Is it individual or team oriented? Do the coaches that vote actually use the stats of the players or just vote on who they get to see play? Any education on my part would be appreciated as I simply don't understand how they are picked. I don't disagree, especially with the top five, I just don't understand how they get ranked. Thanks for any help........

Congrats to Rianna!

Just because I don't know.........What are the guidelines for this honor? Is it individual or team oriented? Do the coaches that vote actually use the stats of the players or just vote on who they get to see play? Any education on my part would be appreciated as I simply don't understand how they are picked. I don't disagree, especially with the top five, I just don't understand how they get ranked. Thanks for any help........

 

Coaches vote. They can use any criteria they wish...Im sure some look at stats but most probably just go off of seeing the girls play. A lot of it is political...especially towards the bottom of the list with several coaches "lobbying" for their kids to be voted on the team. I think for the most part the top kids on the list deserve to be there, and certainly the ones that make the team at all are good players...just hard to believe some coaches actually think that _______________ is a better player then say Eriel Mckee (who didn't make the list) from Anderson County.

 

I use her as an example just because that's the situation im closest too. If you are going to place all the players in the region in a pool there is NO WAY eriel isn't taken with one of the first 12 picks. And their are def a few more examples across the region as well.

 

 

But really it's all for fun and debate IMO. Depending on which games you've seen your opinion of girls across the region could be very different.

I find it hard to believe McKee didn't make it too. Does someone have a complete list?

Coaches vote. They can use any criteria they wish...Im sure some look at stats but most probably just go off of seeing the girls play. A lot of it is political...especially towards the bottom of the list with several coaches "lobbying" for their kids to be voted on the team. I think for the most part the top kids on the list deserve to be there, and certainly the ones that make the team at all are good players...just hard to believe some coaches actually think that _______________ is a better player then say Eriel Mckee (who didn't make the list) from Anderson County.

 

I use her as an example just because that's the situation im closest too. If you are going to place all the players in the region in a pool there is NO WAY eriel isn't taken with one of the first 12 picks. And their are def a few more examples across the region as well.

 

 

But really it's all for fun and debate IMO. Depending on which games you've seen your opinion of girls across the region could be very different.

 

I know this has been talked about before on other threads over the year, so sorry if I'm being a little redundant. But, I think the number of games you (as a team) play WITHIN the region during the regular season will largely affect the ability/willingness of some coaches to vote for a particular player on that team. Owen County (Gayheart) has played 22 games within the region...Anderson County (McKee) has played 8. And while you could take that same argument and ask why Wainscott made it with Simon Kenton only playing 6 regional games, I think you may have to look at the fact that Sydni is a senior and Eriel is just a freshman. Sydni may have been named more for a "body of work" (over several years), as opposed to just for this season. If Eriel continues to do what she's done this year, for three more years, I'd be absolutely stunned that she isn't on the list when she's a senior...even if Anderson County only plays 6-8 regional games each year.

I believe you could make a very strong case for Gayheart, Whitfield, or Wainscott to be player of the year. They all three put up big stat numbers along with playing great defense. All three are completely well rounded players on both ends of the floor. They are all key players that make their team successful. Remove any of them from their current team and South, Owen and Simon are not very successful. South has the most depth beyond Whitfield, and the best chance to still be successful without her. Simon would probably win about half their games if they did not have Wainscott. And Owen would be well below 500 without Gayheart.

I believe you could make a very strong case for Gayheart, Whitfield, or Wainscott to be player of the year. They all three put up big stat numbers along with playing great defense. All three are completely well rounded players on both ends of the floor. They are all key players that make their team successful. Remove any of them from their current team and South, Owen and Simon are not very successful. South has the most depth beyond Whitfield, and the best chance to still be successful without her. Simon would probably win about half their games if they did not have Wainscott. And Owen would be well below 500 without Gayheart.

 

I totally agree!!!

I know this has been talked about before on other threads over the year, so sorry if I'm being a little redundant. But, I think the number of games you (as a team) play WITHIN the region during the regular season will largely affect the ability/willingness of some coaches to vote for a particular player on that team. Owen County (Gayheart) has played 22 games within the region...Anderson County (McKee) has played 8. And while you could take that same argument and ask why Wainscott made it with Simon Kenton only playing 6 regional games, I think you may have to look at the fact that Sydni is a senior and Eriel is just a freshman. Sydni may have been named more for a "body of work" (over several years), as opposed to just for this season. If Eriel continues to do what she's done this year, for three more years, I'd be absolutely stunned that she isn't on the list when she's a senior...even if Anderson County only plays 6-8 regional games each year.

 

My question is, what do you do when they won't play you? I think that you have a valid point. I also think the smaller schools will always stick together.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.