Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nelson County Looks for New Head Coach

Featured Replies

Confirmed that Nelson County is looking for a new head coach. This is an absolute travesty. Nelson was 0-10 this year, but absolutely had nothing to do with coaching or lack thereof. Try playing 4-A football with 180 pound lineman. There are other issues as well that could be discussed but would get me thrown off ehre. Hell, they beat Manual in the playoffs last year. Bill Mason is a player's coach with energy, a winning attitude, and pretty good technical knowledge of the game, particularly on defense. There are many schools that would be passing up a golden opportunity by not calling him.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed that Nelson County is looking for a new head coach. This is an absolute travesty. Nelson was 0-10 this year, but absolutely had nothing to do with coaching or lack thereof. Try playing 4-A football with 180 pound lineman. There are other issues as well that could be discussed but would get me thrown off ehre. Hell, they beat Manual in the playoffs last year. Bill Mason is a player's coach with energy, a winning attitude, and pretty good technical knowledge of the game, particularly on defense. There are many schools that would be passing up a golden opportunity by not calling him.

 

Tell you what, looks like they lost a good one when coach Rogers left to go to Graves, he seems to be really turning that program around.

  • Author
Tell you what, looks like they lost a good one when coach Rogers left to go to Graves, he seems to be really turning that program around.

 

Mike Rogers is a hell of a good offensive coordinator, I know that, and you can't overcome his loss, institution of drug testing, 180 lb. lineman, and an undedicated administration and expect to win with consistency. Laying it on the coach was the coward's way out.

Mike Rogers is a hell of a good offensive coordinator, I know that, and you can't overcome his loss, institution of drug testing, 180 lb. lineman, and an undedicated administration and expect to win with consistency. Laying it on the coach was the coward's way out.

 

I don't know anything about that situation, I just hope that coach Rogers sticks around and makes something out of Graves county. I would like to call Mayfield the new "titletown" someday, lol.

  • Author
I know one coach they have already contacted.....confirmed.

 

Who? Is this the old "Breathitt County coach makes triumphant return to Bardstown" bit?

I have a feeling that Rogers maybe interested

  • Author
I have a feeling that Rogers maybe interested

 

Interesting. He had such a great season at Graves County, I would think he would want to keep pluggin' up there. I know his family is still here, but . . .

I know his family is still here, but . . .

 

 

Couldnt have said it better myself

 

FAMILY is Unreplaceable

I have a feeling that Rogers will at least look into it as I know for a fact that Nelson County still has a strong tie to him...would not be the least bit shocked if he puts his name in for the coaching job up there...as I personally think that he would have a better opportunity up there to turn that program around and be successful than he would down here as Graves will always be a basketball school (and this has nothing to do with Coach Hatcher as he has done nothing but support the football program, but more importantly with the fan base at Graves County) I would hate to see him leave, but you can't blame a man for wanting to go back to his roots if he gets the opportunity.

Hearsay,

 

It was a good article.....what's going on with this? Even though I'm a former Tiger, I have to wonder what's up with the OTHER Nelson County team?

  • Author
Hearsay,

 

It was a good article.....what's going on with this? Even though I'm a former Tiger, I have to wonder what's up with the OTHER Nelson County team?

 

It would take its own thread, but in a nutshell Nelson County has refused to make improvements or advancements to its athletic programs (football and others) since 1995 when they built their current facilities. Where they once were the class of 4-A in that department, other programs have since equaled them and passed them by. The administrators micromanage the team. Whereas other programs have P.E. class during earlier periods when football players can lift weights, watch film, review scouting reports, etc., at Nelson that is not prioritized so the players are forced to do those things after practice, often late into the night, which limits practice time. The school simply will not spend $ on sports. Philosophy perhaps.

 

Add that to several other factors, including, the institution of a drug-testing policy that unfortunately caused some players to quit; the loss of an offensive coordinator to Graves Co.; the simple fact that many kids would prefer to play video games and cruise the strip than work two-a-days in August (a fact that Coach Mason would not compromise on); and the most glaring problem this year - that Nelson played 4-A football in the toughest region in the state with 180 lb. lineman, and you have all the ingredients of an 0-10 season.

 

This is a program that beat Manual in the playoffs last year. It is a good program with tradition. Mason was a good coach. IMO, he had a bad administration. Firing him only magnifies theadministration's own refusal to point the finger at themselves.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.