Scott 65 Conner 63

Imo Conner can still make some noise in the district and regional tournaments, if coach Hicks can find a few guys to score the ball with some consistency. They have not been a good shooting team but maybe he is finding ways to get the right people the ball in good situations. I said it before and I'll say it again coaching will play a big part in the 9th region tournament this year. I think the coach that can make the right moves at the right times and put their teams in the best matchups can help get them to the finals and you never know what can happen in the big game. Look at last year's championship game. Who would have thought that Newport would blow Holmes out like they did.

Scott 65, Conner 63

Scott (12-8) - Haynes 4 1 9, Smith 7 5 20, Daugherty 0 1 1, Stivers 2 5 9, Jackson 1 0 2, Farris 5 2 16, Roberts 4 0 8. Totals 23 14 65.

Conner (10-14) - Way 1 0 2, Liechty 2 5 9, Miller 2 0 5, Flesch 3 1 9, Robinson 10 1 24, Hodges 7 0 14. Totals 25 7 63.

Scott 11 18 25 11 -65

Conner 22 8 20 13 -63

Kellen Smith hits two free throws with 12 seconds left for the final margin. Conner has a couple of opportunities at the end but cannot convert.

Scott got a huge game from Nick Farris in addition to Smith 20 points. Farris hit some big shots down the stretch and Smith was probably very close to a triple double.

Conner still has to be the big mystery in the area. Don't know if I have ever seen a team ranked #1 in preseason and then struggle to finish .500?

Would be very surprised to see Conner be able to rebound and make it out of districts at this point.

Conner fans can't feel real comfortable right now. The Cougars have not been able to beat any of the top ten teams this year. Although, outside of tournament play, all of their losses are to top ten teams. It's a bit confusing for these guys. Last night's game was another example where the Cougars could have won the game, but failed to execute the whole four quarters. Kellen Smith is a stud. No questions asked. He started off slow, but finished extremely well. Scott got a huge lift from Nick Farris. His threes were game changing. At at time when Scott had lost Haynes to an ankle injury, Farris stepped it up. There were some bright spots for the Cougars. Clay Robinson continues to shoot the ball well. He leads all scorers last night and Tyler Hodges gets a double double. Scott did a great job of pressuring Flesch and not allowing him to be a scoring factor after the first quarter. He saw double and triple team traps on almost every possesion. He did do a good job of getting the ball down the court, but it limited his scoring which has been a big lift for the Cougars the last 5 games. IMO, Conner settled for too many threes off of the broken press and it cost them alot of one and dones. Scott exectued and pulls out the win. It was a good game. There is life in Hebron, but they desperately need a big win.

I saw Hodges' final shot attempt of the game to tie it on the news highlights and it clearly looked like he got fouled. Event the sports guy on Channel 5 questioned it live. I know its tough to make that call as time is expiring but wow, his arm was hit as he shot.

^Shouldn't the call be made regardless of the situation? A foul is a foul no matter what the clock reads, right? Coach JH was not happy with this non call. I think it's fair to say that Shields struggled mightily Friday night in Hebron. For Conner, comes down to one thing now. Just beat Ryle in their fourth meeting in the District Tournament.

I saw Hodges' final shot attempt of the game to tie it on the news highlights and it clearly looked like he got fouled. Event the sports guy on Channel 5 questioned it live. I know its tough to make that call as time is expiring but wow, his arm was hit as he shot.

No doubt he was fouled but it just could be added to the long list of calls that were questionable both ways. Coach Hicks was stuck with a T in the second half which he deserved. Went out of his way to make sure he got the T giving the officials little choice. Funny thing was the call that he caused him to blow up was probably the right call.

Typical 9th Region officiated game as it seemed that everyone who played in the first half had two fouls by halftime. Good run for Scott to get acclimated to 9th Region officiating so that if they make the regional tournament they won't have to adjust as much as other 10th Region teams

Y'know... as poor of a season as Conner is having considering they were picked pre-season #1, in their last 10 games they are 5-5 with their 5 losses coming in chronological order from:

Ryle 61-47

Campbell County 69-67 (3 OT's)

Ryle 58-54 (2 OT's)

Boone 56-45

Scott 65-63

They have 4 regular season games remaining:

Walton, Holy Cross, Holmes, & NewCath

Even though they really don't have any quality wins, they're starting to show that they can play with fairly decent teams, they just can't seem to finish. With as crazy a season as it has been in the 9th, it wouldn't surprise me that after they get some good challenges in with their last 4 games, that they'll start looking tuned up to face post season. It would be a far stretch for them to regain their #1 billing, but I don't think their season is over. Conner typically comes on late in the season anyway...

For what it's worth (and this isn't scientific because of different strengths in schedules) here are the records of many teams in the 9th from their last 10 games as of Feb. 5th @ 6:30 pm:

The rest of the regular season should help us get an idea of who is peaking at the right time.

New Cath - 8-2

Holy Cross - 8-2

Dixie - 7-3

Holmes - 7-3

Boone - 7-3

Ryle - 7-3

Conner - 5-5

Cooper - 5-5

Beechwood - 5-5

CovCath - 4-6

Highlands - 3-7