Matt Jones going to work at CBSSports.com full time.

FormerCawoodTrojan

What percentage of hardcore, pro-UK, UK 'insider' website running mouthpieces attended Duke? I definitely see the irony.

I know exactly who Matt Jones is. Never heard of the Meiners fellow. Of course, the only time I pay attention to UL is when they play UK anyways.

And, as stated earlier, I attended UK and loved every second of it. Still rooted for Duke and still hated UK basketball. Loved everything else at UK though. Especially the 1996 National Championship celebration. Best party I have ever attended. Word up.

Terry Meiners is a UK grad that has had his own radio show on WHAS in Louisville (the largest and most powerful signal station in Ky) for many, many years.

He used his 50,000 watts to lick Pitino's boots when he came to UL and slammed all things UK to get in good with Slick Rick. He had a sweet deal going until he made a comment on air about how his free seats in the Chicken Bucket weren't as good as his in Freedom Hall. Then Turtleneck Tom pulled the plug on his show with Pitino. To those who think he was not a huge mouthpiece for UL is totally laughable.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What percentage of hardcore, pro-UK, UK 'insider' website running mouthpieces attended Duke? I definitely see the irony.

I know exactly who Matt Jones is. Never heard of the Meiners fellow. Of course, the only time I pay attention to UL is when they play UK anyways.

And, as stated earlier, I attended UK and loved every second of it. Still rooted for Duke and still hated UK basketball. Loved everything else at UK though. Especially the 1996 National Championship celebration. Best party I have ever attended. Word up.

He went to Duke for law school. I have no idea where he went for under grad. What percentage of Duke law applicants get in? Pretty impressive and I think nothing less of his UK fandum. I didn't go to UK and I love UK basketball.

He went to Duke for law school. I have no idea where he went for under grad. What percentage of Duke law applicants get in? Pretty impressive and I think nothing less of his UK fandum. I didn't go to UK and I love UK basketball.

Undergrad=Transylvania

Definitely impressive. Definitely ironic. I definitely don't think less of his fantom. If I could have gotten into Duke I would have gone there. I am too short, unathletic and my jumper was broke. UK is an awesome school. No doubt.

Terry Meiners is a UK grad that has had his own radio show on WHAS in Louisville (the largest and most powerful signal station in Ky) for many, many years.

He used his 50,000 watts to lick Pitino's boots when he came to UL and slammed all things UK to get in good with Slick Rick. He had a sweet deal going until he made a comment on air about how his free seats in the Chicken Bucket weren't as good as his in Freedom Hall. Then Turtleneck Tom pulled the plug on his show with Pitino. To those who think he was not a huge mouthpiece for UL is totally laughable.

Thanks for the background info. Never heard of him. I definitely see the irony in both situations.

Jones explained on the radio (Thursday's first hour, I think) that CBS let him go. Said CBS explained to him that they wanted their college b-ball site to be hard-news driven, which Jones is not the best at (putting it mildly). Would explain why they hired Jeff Goodman.

Am I wrong in thinking he didn't use his CBS credentials properly to get hard-news driven stories?

Meiners is Pitino supporter moreso than UofL.

And frankly, it's not all that out of the ordinary for folks in Ky to go to one school and cheer for the other. There are plenty of people in Louisville who grew up UK fans who go/went to UofL because of convenience's sake.

Bottom line still comes down to the extreme irony of Matt Jones, the guy who is a hardcore UK fan and a mouthpiece for the fanbase of hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, felt like UK law wasn't good enough for him and instead opted to go to Duke, the school that most of those aforementioned followers of Jones almost universally revile, some to the point of thinking of Duke as UK's No. 1 rival.

It is ironic that Meiners went to UK, simply because he's called UL games for a long time.

But Matt Jones going to Duke, IMO, is a far greater happenstance--simply because his circle of influence has widened to the size that it is today.

Meiners is not an announcer for the game broadcasts. He does, however, do promotional stuff at UofL games for local companies.