Newport Central Catholic 56 Covington Holy Cross 21

Dlbdonn

NCC obviously dominated this game and is to be congratulated. They're going to be a tough out the next two games.

Let me give some love again to the HC senior class. I don't know if they won any games as freshman and they had the unenviable task of following what many consider to be HC's best ever football class.

Congrats to Big Grin, Josh Jasper, Cory Fuller, the Knochelman kid, and the rest of the senior class for taking HC further down the playoff road than any of the previous teams. Once again football provides a great life lesson.

Hold your heads high, boys.

Indian Pride!

NewCaths lines won this game. Kelly was able to run with a full head of steam all night. They dud not punt once. Cain, Hayes, and Hitchew all had huge games as well
And I believe that they had only one penalty and that was late in the game when they had it obviously won .

Jake Geisler had a touchdown too . On a fumble recovery in the end zone .

And then he and big Jack did their best impression of Kelly and Hightchew's td celebration side bump. :clap::lol:

Catch the replay of this game on nkysports.com.

AS for the game....

Holy Cross came out and made a statement from the get go, as Walker took the opening kickoff 95 yards to paydirt to out the Indians up 7-0 just 14 seconds in to the game.

As they've done all year though, the Breds responded by marching right back down the field for a td.

Holy Cross then took a 14-7 lead but it was all Breds from there.

They'd score the next 3 td's to take a 28-14 lead heading in to halftime but the key play of the game, IMO was when Holy Cross came up with a big 4th and 1 stop on their own 1 yard line with 2minutes til half but couldn't convert. Poor play calling and a botched punt gave the Breds the ball at the Indians 17 with just over a minute left and they'd punch it in 3 plays later to take away any momentum from an HC come back. HC would march down to the Breds 10 but a high pass as time expired ended the half.

Newcath punched it in right out of the half to go up 35-14 but once again HC responded with a nice play action pass from Arlinghaus to Josh Jasper.

It'd be all Newcath after this though. They scored 21 straight, including a fumble recovered by Geisler in the end zone to cap the scoring off and send the Breds in to the state semi finals with a 56-21 win.

For the Breds, Kelly, Hightchew, Hayes, and Cain all ran all over HC all night. Bhola did a nice job in coverage all night on Jasper. My player of the game however, was Logan Martin. He was in the Indians backfield all night chasing Arlinghaus and never allowed him to get his feet set and get comfortable in the pocket. Great game by the Breds.

I think they made a statement that the 2A state title is going to run through Newcath this year.

Congratulations to NCC for their big win tonight. They did dominate both sides of the ball. I was impressed with their secondary coverage on the HC wide receivers. Arlinghaus was forced on numerous occasions to run out of the pocket instead of pass. HC did not have the beef upfront to slow the the NCC running game. I do not see NCC being stopped in the next two games. Once again, kudos to the Breds and good luck at state. (Yeah, I'm one of those HC "homer" guys).

Congratulations to NCC for their big win tonight. They did dominate both sides of the ball. I was impressed with their secondary coverage on the HC wide receivers. Arlinghaus was forced on numerous occasions to run out of the pocket instead of pass. HC did not have the beef upfront to slow the the NCC running game. I do not see NCC being stopped in the next two games. Once again, kudos to the Breds and good luck at state. (Yeah, I'm one of those HC "homer" guys).

Great post.

BTW, I know I mentioned it earlier, but Clayton Bhola did a great job tonight in coverage for the Breds tonight. Bhola, Daunt, and Woltermann were everywhere for the Breds tonight. An all around great perfromance by the Newcath defensive secondary.

AS for the game....

Holy Cross came out and made a statement from the get go, as Walker took the opening kickoff 95 yards to paydirt to out the Indians up 7-0 just 14 seconds in to the game.

As they've done all year though, the Breds responded by marching right back down the field for a td.

Holy Cross then took a 14-7 lead but it was all Breds from there.

They'd score the next 3 td's to take a 28-14 lead heading in to halftime but the key play of the game, IMO was when Holy Cross came up with a big 4th and 1 stop on their own 1 yard line with 2minutes til half but couldn't convert. Poor play calling and a botched punt gave the Breds the ball at the Indians 17 with just over a minute left and they'd punch it in 3 plays later to take away any momentum from an HC come back. HC would march down to the Breds 10 but a high pass as time expired ended the half.

Newcath punched it in right out of the half to go up 35-14 but once again HC responded with a nice play action pass from Arlinghaus to Josh Jasper.

It'd be all Newcath after this though. They scored 21 straight, including a fumble recovered by Geisler in the end zone to cap the scoring off and send the Breds in to the state semi finals with a 56-21 win.

For the Breds, Kelly, Hightchew, Hayes, and Cain all ran all over HC all night. Bhola did a nice job in coverage all night on Jasper. My player of the game however, was Logan Martin. He was in the Indians backfield all night chasing Arlinghaus and never allowed him to get his feet set and get comfortable in the pocket. Great game by the Breds.

I think they made a statement that the 2A state title is going to run through Newcath this year.

Is the QB for Holy Cross a senior? He is a nice player.