• Jeff Fischer
    • Mike Holmgren
    • Other (Please Specify)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any specific reasons why?

I see him as a good HC, but as spindoc or someone else mentioned in another thread, he seems to struggle a bit with in game adjustments.

I think many of them struggle with in game adjustments. As for Tomlin, he leaves the play on both sides of the ball to his coordinators. Unless I'm totally mistaken, I don't see him with much input on either side unless it's a crucial call (4th and inches, etc.). I for one would like for him to have a bit more input. By all accounts he's heavily involved with the preparation on both sides, but once they kick it off, he relies on his coordinators.

In Tomlin's defense, it's difficult to argue with his results, bottom line.

Why did Belichek struggle so badly in Cleveland? Aren't there other factors that go into making a good NFL coach? Good GM, good scouting/drafting, good ownership, etc................

The organization that a coach works for determines a lot. Thats why I would go with Parcells, because he basically built his teams from scratch each time and took players to fit HIS schemes. Tomlin had the great fortune of following a great Coach in a great organization that was already established as an organization with an identity.

I could never vote for Belichek because he has not won a Super Bowl since he was caught cheating, nor has he been deep in the playoffs. No one can tell how much of his success was legit. Yes, he's put together GOOD teams since then, but not GREAT.

I think many of them struggle with in game adjustments. As for Tomlin, he leaves the play on both sides of the ball to his coordinators. Unless I'm totally mistaken, I don't see him with much input on either side unless it's a crucial call (4th and inches, etc.). I for one would like for him to have a bit more input. By all accounts he's heavily involved with the preparation on both sides, but once they kick it off, he relies on his coordinators.

To be honest I'm not as concerned with how hands on he is in a game if his preparation and reliance on his coordinators pays off. You don't have to be a hands on guy to win, and win he does. Now in all fairness, a lot of that can also be attributed to the Steelers who from a totally unbiased opinion are the best run team in the league.

:thumb:

I think longevity is what Tomlin lacks more than anything at this point. If he stays in Pitt for another decade with the same results, he'll be there.

Two guys, Jeff Fisher and Andy Reid, I believe are great coaches, but the lack of a Super Bowl win eliminates them from being the best.

This is a tough question. Belichick has a great resume.

Parcells has a good argument with his success with multiple teams.

No one has mentioned Tony Dungy, but I think he has a great case. He took over a perennial loser in Tampa and made the playoffs 4 of 6 seasons. And the team won a Super Bowl the year after he left (I suppose that can be used to argue for or against him). But, he won with a conservative offense and a great defense in Tampa. Then he goes to Indy, never misses the playoffs, wins a Super Bowl and does it with a completely different team...high powered offense and questionable defense. I think being able to adjust to your talent is always the sign of a great coach.

Parcells won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler at QB. Gruden won with Brad Johnson. The QB's for the other coaches...Brady, Roethlisberger, Favre, Manning, Elway. Does that factor in?