Bishop Brossart looking for new Varsity Soccer Coach

BBsports

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this after Brossart lost to Highlands in the district finals. Coach was having some problems with parents who felt that certain kids were not getting the amount of playing time that was justified for a "select" player. Sad sad state of affairs and a no win situation for the coach.

That is unfortunate to hear. Didn't Bray win a state championship while coaching at Holy Cross? If not, he was in the championship game at least once, maybe twice. But this wouldn't be the first time disagreements with parents caused a coach to leave a sports program. Parents are the best and the worst of most sports programs. You have great ones who support the program and make it so much better and then you have the ones who only care about their child and can not rationally evaluate their child's abilities.

But this wouldn't be the first time disagreements with parents caused a coach to leave a sports program.

This is especially true at this particular school. The adminstration and athletic director are fabulous, as are the students themselves. But when the beer is flowing at the Men's stag or the folks are partying during the holiday weekend, all of the sudden good people become incompetent, and strides made during a season are forgetten.

Agree!!! I believe there were a lot of Brossart players and parents who felt this way too.

Kevin would not be a good choice. He behaved very unprofessionally last year when he didn't get the job. Terry Bray was the right choice and they will not find a better coach than he to succeed him. If Kevin had gotten the job last year, the record would not have been better, probably would have stayed the same and more drama would have unfolded because Kevin would have been consulting the previous coach for every decision and the previous coach was fired.

Kevin would not be a good choice. He behaved very unprofessionally last year when he didn't get the job. Terry Bray was the right choice and they will not find a better coach than he to succeed him. If Kevin had gotten the job last year, the record would not have been better, probably would have stayed the same and more drama would have unfolded because Kevin would have been consulting the previous coach for every decision and the previous coach was fired.

I have a great deal of respect for Kevin; he is direct and honest. I guess there are those who would have problems with that.

If the Administration and AD are fabulous they would have stepped in and backed their coach before it got this far.

Good point. What can an AD do in order stop parents from acting like jerkoffs? What could Mel Webster had done to prevent this?

I don't know if it was Bray as much as it was the assistance he brought in. At JV he put a guy who he met over the past Girls Basketball season who coached 8 year old boys soccer. At frosh he put his daughter. Believe me it was not working out at those levels. I've always felt a good Coach surrounds himself with coaches as strong or if not stronger Bray chose differently.

Why should parents not have a say in the coaching staff selection? If a coach is not getting the most from the talent on the team, the coach should be held accountable. High school soccer is not for teaching soccer to players, it is for developing a team of soccer players into a unit that advances as far as possible towards the goal of a State Championship. If that means some players sit the bench because they are not as skilled as the starting or second string players, so be it. If those players are unhappy with their limited playing time, perhaps they should seek other extra curricular activities for which they are better suited. Can you imagine a football coach giving equal playing time to the 4th string quarterback just because he was on the team and tried hard at practice? How quickly would they be gone?