Paintsville at Somerset

Paintsville has better speed than what you think!! But I believe that Somerset has more people with speed and that will make a big difference. I hope that Paintsville wins, but their D isn't as good as Somerset's D and that will probably be where this game is decided. Paintsville can move the chains and score, but they can't win a scoring contest with Somerset. The Paintsville D has got to step up!!

First half of last week's game, Paintsville played solid D. At the half, they went away from what they were doing in the first. BMR stated in the Big Sandy News yesterday that changes were made at the half that didn't need to be. He said he didn't know why they were changed either, so I'm guessing one of the assistants made an error in changing the defense. I'll be down there tomorrow, can't wait hope to see a good game by both teams. Defense is the deciding factor in this game, I'm not worried about the speed as much as hoping and praying the Tiger defense shows up this week. Good Luck, LET'S GO BIG BLUE!!!! 4 quarters, 48 minutes that's not too much to ask is it? Let's play the complete game Tigers. Now or never, go hard or go home.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the Jumpers win big. It's been 6 years since our last regional championship. If the Jumper defense comes to play:

Somerset 42

Paintsville 13

You have a lot of reasons to be confident, but why such a lop sided win? As far as speed goes, this is one of the quicker Paintsville teams. No one player has excellent speed but everyone on offense and defense can run. Somerset is the most balanced team Paintsville has played this year, but after facing 3 straight run only teams, Pikeville, Evarts, and Lynn Camp I think the Tigers may be better suited for a balanced offense.

My prediction:

Paintsville 30

Somerset 25

I hope the Jumpers win big. It's been 6 years since our last regional championship. If the Jumper defense comes to play:

Somerset 42

Paintsville 13

I would love to see this outcome. Although, Somerset would have to play a flawless game. Somerset is very good this year but I have a lot of respect for Paintsville as well. Paintsville is a very good just like all of the teams that have made it this far. Good teams are hard to blowout. The only way I see the game getting ugly like this is if the defense shuts down the run and Paintsville is forced to pass the ball.

It is good to see such optimism though. :thumb:

The only way I see the game getting ugly like this is if the defense shuts down the run and Paintsville is forced to pass the ball.:

If Somerset doesn't think Pugh can beat them with his arm, they may be in for a long night. Just ask Evarts if Pugh can throw, or even Lynn Camp.

FYI- Pugh has thrown for over 1000 yds this year.

I think this game will play out similar to the Pikeville game although I think Paintsville will put more points up on the board. However, giving up 40 points to Evarts in 3 quarters throws up a red flag for me. District 8 this year reminded me of the old WAC in the late 80's early 90's--teams that can put a lot of points up and where anyone can beat anyone on any given night. That said each team also seems to have a serious weakness in at least one facet of their defense. While I'm not ready to annoint Somerset as the 2nd coming of the 1985 Bears defense I think they're a little more rounded and can make enough stops to win the game. I'll say Somerset 40 Paintsville 19.

Paintsville has better speed than what you think!! But I believe that Somerset has more people with speed and that will make a big difference. I hope that Paintsville wins, but their D isn't as good as Somerset's D and that will probably be where this game is decided. Paintsville can move the chains and score, but they can't win a scoring contest with Somerset. The Paintsville D has got to step up!!

I saw both team's speed this year. Somerset is WAAAAAAAAY faster. Unless Paintsville was holding some speed back or out of the game last week, speed is all to the Jumpers!! NO comparrison.

If Somerset doesn't think Pugh can beat them with his arm, they may be in for a long night. Just ask Evarts if Pugh can throw, or even Lynn Camp.

If Paintsville thinks Somerset is a one dimensional team with the pass, just ask.... anybody. Newell can run you over when he touches the ball. They will make you work all night just wondering what they will do next. Pugh is a good quarterback, but wait 'til you get a load of Deaton. It's hard to have the time to throw the ball at Somerset. Exchanges in the backfield can even get rough. Like I said before, way too fast. The Jumpers won't ignore anybody at this junction and will be prepared for whatever is thrown at them friday.

I'm sure Somerset would much rather have him throw the ball than run it. I say this for two reasons.

1)This is not Paintsville's style of offense

2)Pugh's arm strength is questionable (that is the word on the street)

I wasn't putting the kid down by saying he couldn't get it done throwing the ball but I will say this; if he has to throw the ball it will extend the game and be a very long night for the Tigers. I've seen the Evarts game and I wasn't much impressed with the passing game. (the difference in that game was speed; it's as simple as that)

That being said, Good luck to both teams tonight and everyone have a safe trip over to Somerset! :thumb:

If Paintsville thinks Somerset is a one dimensional team with the pass, just ask.... anybody. Newell can run you over when he touches the ball. They will make you work all night just wondering what they will do next. Pugh is a good quarterback, but wait 'til you get a load of Deaton. It's hard to have the time to throw the ball at Somerset. Exchanges in the backfield can even get rough. Like I said before, way too fast. The Jumpers won't ignore anybody at this junction and will be prepared for whatever is thrown at them friday.

I have said all week that this is the most balanced team Paintsville will play all year.

If you think Paintsville is going into this game thinking the Jumpers are one dimensional you're mistaken. Paintsville isn't ignoring anyone either. I haven't had the opportunity to see this Deaton kid, but I've heard nothing but good things. The athletes in the backfield and at the receiver positions make his abilities even more dangerous. Paintsville knows Newell can run, trust me they're going to be looking to avenge against Somerset as they destroyed them in the 1st round of the 2003 playoffs. These are the same kids Newell ran all over, all night long his sophomore year in the playoffs.

I don't feel the pass beat us against Paintsville, it was the run. I think Paintsville scored two their first two tds threw the air, but those drives were made by the runs of Pugh, Ward, and Freno. Paintsville had good balance on offense in those drives, but if you stop their run, I think they are in trouble. They are not a drop back passing team, they need their running game working to make their passing game work. Also I feel for Paintsville to win this game, Ward needs to get the ball alot. As cold as it will be, I think a 240 pound+ fullback coming at you all night, will gain yards. Somerset has a huge speed advantage, Pugh will not be able to make the number of big plays he did the last two weeks, others will need to step up for Paintsville. I feel Paintsville will need to get 2 to 3 stops on defense per half, and be able to answer on those stops, if they can do that their chances improve greatly.

Question:

How good is the O and D line for Somerset?

The D line has been a weakness for the Tigers most of the season, especially against the strong Offensive linemen they've been up against as of late.

I'm sure BMR has made adjustments there, but just wondering how strong, expecially the O line is for Somerset?