Lex Cath 42 Cov Cath 39

Birdsfan

I was a little disappointed in Cov Cath's gameplan. I know that they wanted to do what they've done all season long, but when everyone of your WR's has 1 on 1 coverage, I think you have to take a shot downfield.

They did it very rarely in the HHS game, but came up with an 80 yard TD to Bovard. They did it very rarely again last night, and threw an INT to end the game. Had they taken shots down the field earlier, I think they would have made a few big plays and Lex Cath would have had to do something about it. I can't complain too much, since they put up 39 points, but it's frustrating to watch. Kudos to the LC DB's though. They were very physical at the line, and played a great game.

Bovard's diving catch at the sideline on 3 & 18 was a bigtime play. I believe it was a gain of 16, and Ellison ran for the 1st on 4 & 2. A great catch by Kurt.

Bovard's catch on the final drive was one of the best I have ever seen; the ball was literally out of bounds and only about 5-6 inches off the ground; what a CLUTCH reception!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points CC. To beat LexCath you have to keep Burke in the pocket. Burke is a good pocket passer but he is as good as it gets throwing on the run and as a running QB.

I thought CCH did what they needed to do to win the game but LexCath came through with big play after big play when they needed it.

CCH has a lot to look forward to in the future. They may not be as talented next year but I think they will be very good.

Loss of down was correct.

As much flack as you have given Coach Sphire "and his mustache :rolleyes: " I hope 42 points was good enough for you!

Cov Cath has a very classy program. That game was what High School football is all about. Lex Cath made the big plays down the stretch coming from a lot of different people. Burke really kept his composure in an off night even though he had about 375 yds and 5 T.D.'s + another 100 rushing. Burbage+Caldwell are as explosive as a duo as I've seen since Jones and Bush were at Male. Ellison also rushed over 100 yds and threw for a nice little chunk too. Ben Revere showed why he is arguably the top defensive back in the state again last night. He held Bovard to about 3 or 4 catches for around 30-40 yards. He made the pick that sealed the deal in the end. Couldn't happen to a better person. As for Lex Cath not being able to run, they rushed for over 200 last night in their 550+ of total offense!

Two great teams with a great performance. Lex Cath/Highlands should be a dandy!! Congrats to Cov Cath on a nice season. Congrats to Lex Cath on getting one step closer to their goal!

Lex Cath went for it on 4th down 3 times, I think. Once was at the end of the game when they ran the reverse and were stopped short. Were the other 2 times TD's?

The first time resulted in a 1 yard TD pass.

The second time resulted in a first down. If you remember, it was 4th and 5 and they tried to draw CCH offsides with a hard count. It did not work. They STILL went for it on 4th and 10 and gained 12 yards.

The next time was the screen pass to Israel were it looked like he was shot out of a cannon as he bolted down the sidelines for a TD.

As much flack as you have given Coach Sphire "and his mustache :rolleyes: " I hope 42 points was good enough for you!

Glad you mentioned that. I was thinking last night on the drive home that I need to give props to the LC staff for getting over a hump that has been troublesome for them in the past.

I enjoyed watching the Knights play. Their D is probably going to catch up to them at some point but their O can compensate for it. I liked the gutsy 4th down calls by Coach Sphires. I like his passing game (routes, etc).

Hats off to the entire staff.

The first time resulted in a 1 yard TD pass.

The second time resulted in a first down. If you remember, it was 4th and 5 and they tried to draw CCH offsides with a hard count. It did not work. They STILL went for it on 4th and 10 and gained 12 yards.

The next time was the screen pass to Israel were it looked like he was shot out of a cannon as he bolted down the sidelines for a TD.

The last play you mentioned was the turning point in the game: CCH was up 10- 32-21, and would have taken over around mid-field with about 10 minutes left in the game.

Glad you mentioned that. I was thinking last night on the drive home that I need to give props to the LC staff for getting over a hump that has been troublesome for them in the past.

I enjoyed watching the Knights play. Their D is probably going to catch up to them at some point but their O can compensate for it. I liked the gutsy 4th down calls by Coach Sphires. I like his passing game (routes, etc).

Hats off to the entire staff.

Classy post! Hats off to the kids, fans and staff at Cov Cath too. They have a proud tradition there and the kids witheld that tradition last night. It was a hard fought battle for both teams. Cov Cath is probably only going to get better as they get used to the new staff. Ellison really had a great year!

FC's skilled passing combo exploits an area of concern for the Bluebirds, yet they only put up two scores.

I don't get the above. The wideouts for LC caught 4 TD passes.

With CovCath scoring 39 on LC's D, I feel quite good about the Bird's chances to host another semi-final.

While your point doesn't change, LC's D gave up 32 points.

BTW, is the left O tackle really big or is that an illusion due to being next to a small guard? He looked big.

He looked huge. I'd guess he's about 6'3''.

As far as the 4th down calls, they were very gutsy. I'm sure that I wasn't the only Cov Cath fan nervous when they ran the reverse on 4th down. It wouldn't have surprised me one bit to see the ball carrier make a couple of moves and fly into the endzone. It seemed like CCH came so close to making the tackle every time, only for Lex Cath to make a move and scurry for another 5-10 or 50 yards.

I was impressed with Lexington Catholic's ability to make the big plays.

Another thing that I noticed was how well LexCath tackled, while in pursuit. It seemed like they were able to catch the CCH players from behind almost every time, while it was the exact opposite for CCH. LC has amazing team speed, and I think it'll show in the HHS game next week too.

Cov Cath is probably only going to get better as they get used to the new staff.

Next year's success will hinge on the play of the o-line and the d-line. The o-line loses two-year starter Zach Spradlin , o-tackle Eric Fangman, and guard Tim Smith. The d-line loses the stud in the middle Mike Hudson and the right DE position. Losing Sean McGee in the middle will be a blow plus Fro and Brett Sutton.

With that said, CCH will return 5 or 6 players that will be some of the best in NKY - Pete Sutton, Bovard, Castenada, Brown, Flynn, and Bleser.

I would expect to see the emphasis go from run to pass next season as Bleser's strength is passing. I think you will see Pete Sutton and Bovard have bigger seaons than they had this year. Pete Sutton may be the toughest matchup in NKY next season for opposing defenses.

Should be an interesting season as always. Their schedule will get tougher as Boone and Dixie will be much better than they were to start the season.