Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hurdling The Center On FG?

Featured Replies

Recently, Dixie Junior Zeke Pike hurdled the center on an extra point to block the kick.

 

My question, is this legal?

 

From what I understand it is never legal to hurdle a player if they(the one being hurdled) has at least one foot on the ground.

Edited by doubledeuce

I'm sure we'll get one of our stripes to reply, I also thought this was illegal but I'd like to hear the rule.

It's illegal to hurdle the blockers even if they don't touch the blocker.

 

You cannot hurdle a player who is on one or both feet if no other body part is touching the ground. 2-20 seems to define it. The rule that disallows it looks to be 9-4-3d.

Sorry guys,

 

I'm afraid that you will not be getting any officials to answer rules question on any public forums. Per the KHSAA, officials are not allowed to post any longer.

Sorry guys,

 

I'm afraid that you will not be getting any officials to answer rules question on any public forums. Per the KHSAA, officials are not allowed to post any longer.

 

How was that edict distributed? I'm not a football official and haven't seen anything about this.

A UC player did it last year against Florida in the Bowl game.

A UC player did it last year against Florida in the Bowl game.

 

The rule may be different in NCAA. I'm guessing FED has it as a safety rule.

Recently, Dixie Junior Zeke Pike hurdled the center on an extra point to block the kick.

 

My.

 

The big question is did Coach Tom tell him to cease. If he's known to do that it would seem to set him up for an injury as someone undercuts him.

I saw in a forum a couple of years ago that because it was confusing if the center could be touched at all, or brushed during the rush that the 'standard' was to pretend there is an imaginary post through the centers head. If the defenders line of attack was through that post then it was roughing. So if a defender hurdled the center their line of attack would be through that imaginary post and it should be roughing the center. I did see that happen in a varsity game. And it was not called then either.

 

In addition 'hurdling' a player who is standing is supposed to be illegal.

The big question is did Coach Tom tell him to cease. If he's known to do that it would seem to set him up for an injury as someone undercuts him.

 

It was quite impressive but I agree that it's not the safest way to block a kick. It sure makes a nice story for those days in the bars with your friends.

I saw in a forum a couple of years ago that because it was confusing if the center could be touched at all, or brushed during the rush that the 'standard' was to pretend there is an imaginary post through the centers head. If the defenders line of attack was through that post then it was roughing. So if a defender hurdled the center their line of attack would be through that imaginary post and it should be roughing the center. I did see that happen in a varsity game. And it was not called then either.

 

In addition 'hurdling' a player who is standing is supposed to be illegal.

 

As I read the rule hurdling is illegal if the only part of the hurdled player that is touching the ground is one or both feet.

 

So I guess in the play DoubleDeuce was talking about it would depend if the player that was hurdled had another other part of the body touching the ground. Was his hand on the ground? If so then I guess it's not a hurdle violation.

Did he directly hurdle the center, the gap, or the guard? I only saw it live, and from my angle it was hard to tell exactly where he came through.

What is considered hurtling? Surely a player can jump to block, can they not lead forward, propel themselves etc?

What is considered hurtling? Surely a player can jump to block, can they not lead forward, propel themselves etc?

 

To hurdle requires someone to be hurdled over.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.