Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lexington Catholic / Covington Catholic Predictions

Who wins? 61 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Lexington Catholic
      75%
    • Covington Catholic
      24%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Lex Cath is coming off of their 46-27 week 0 victory over Whitley County and Cov Cath is trying to come back from a 61-7 loss to Ryle.

 

Historically, Cov Cath has never fared well in the early season "bowl" games, including last season's 17-23 loss to the Knights in week 1.

Cov. Cath has a long way to go to compete with anybody. They are small, young, and have no Offense.

Lexington Catholic 38-14.

Cov. Cath has a long way to go to compete with anybody. They are small, young, and have no Offense.

 

I feel bad for Bir at QB.

 

Does CCH have a running game? If they don't come up with one soon, Bir is going to get killed back there.

 

Spread them out and do short, quick passes can only last so long.

 

I don't know much about Lex. Cath., but I do know if Cov. Cath. can't score, they are not going to win..... How's that for a prediction?

I feel bad for Bir at QB.

 

Does CCH have a running game? If they don't come up with one soon, Bir is going to get killed back there.

 

Spread them out and do short, quick passes can only last so long.

 

I don't know much about Lex. Cath., but I do know if Cov. Cath. can't score, they are not going to win..... How's that for a prediction?

 

I think you're looking at it backwards. I'll speak generically and not specifically to CCH.

 

A running game that is not a pure power game cannot succeed if the defense doesn't have to worry about medium to deep passing. Logical , right? If you don't have to worry about downfield activity you can stuff the line.

 

Bir is going to be a good qb. He has a better arm than I expected and one that will do well in this offense. Dave sees more than we do so he will determine when it's best to looses the reigns a bit. Once the passing game starts clicking the entire offense will be better.

 

LexCath traditionally is not a strong defensive team compared to NKY teams so I expect CCH to perform better offensively.

 

The question revolves around the defense and their ability to guard an always-strong passing scheme. Ryle's passing scheme is much simpler than the one LC usually throws at you.

  • Author
I feel bad for Bir at QB.

 

Does CCH have a running game? If they don't come up with one soon, Bir is going to get killed back there.

 

Spread them out and do short, quick passes can only last so long.

 

I don't know much about Lex. Cath., but I do know if Cov. Cath. can't score, they are not going to win..... How's that for a prediction?

 

There is a LOT of Cov Cath's success hinging on the offensive line at this point. Their defense can compete, as evidenced in the first half of the Ryle game, but they can't be expected to keep up their game when the offense doesn't ever keep them off the field for any more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

 

Bir has an arm - I've seen it. He also has a some decent receivers and a couple of quality running backs waiting for their chance to bust out the yards. Still, they need the O-line to create a passing pocket for long enough to get a pass off, and they need to make some run-blocks here and there enough to create enough respect for the run to open up a passing game. Basic concepts, yes, but they are the crux of Cov Cath's problem right now. Granted, we are only entering into week 1 here, and Cov Cath is a team that (as I've stated before) historically improved up to their full potential over the course of the season, but the O-line's performance is a blaring weak-point right now that really does create most of the problems that I see for the team.

Cov. Cath has a long way to go to compete with anybody. They are small, young, and have no Offense.

 

They are not small.

They are not young.

Their offense will get better with experience.

As I always ask prior to this game, please LexCath Public Address Announcer, please don't say Catholic did this or Catholic did that as both team are indeed Catholic this Saturday at LexCath.:lol:

 

Please use Colonels and or CovCath and Knights and or LexCath.

 

Thank you :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

 

Now on to the game....

 

I believe the big question for CovCath this Saturday is can the players come back from a total beat down by Ryle last week at Nippert.

 

Historically, LexCath is no push over and I am for one very concerned that the CovCath players are still in a sort of shell shocked mode.

 

What CovCath needs to do to win this game (IMO) is to established the run which would allow the "D" of CovCath to not be on the field like they were last week.

 

If indeed the Colonels can run on the Knights, then a well thrown pass will be open as the game proceeds and if the "O" can get a little confidence in themselves the Colonels will have a chance to win this game.

 

The "D" did find Friday night at Nippert, until they just wore down and out and I think if given a chance to rest and not be on the field all night long, can hold the Knights to earn the "W".

 

Have been told that LexCath has all new visitors bleachers and a new press box, so the Colonels faithful will have a better place to sit and watch the game, than in past years and Mark and the J-man won't have to Broadcast the game from the steps outside the press-box.

 

Thank you LexCath.:thumb:

 

Good luck to both team and I would appreciate hearing about the LexCath team.

 

To listen to the game live from Lexington Catholic on CovCath Internet Radio, just click on the link here! Game time is 8:30 pm

Edited by Theoldguy

What is the series record between these two? I almost believe that Lexington Catholic holds the upper hand. (Please note that I did not say "Catholic" had the upper hand. :D Though it was rather tempting to. :lol:)

I dont think this will be a close one. Knights may be too much.

I have heard the very same thing from NKY visitors. I can't wait to hear what he's calling the 'catholics' this time!

Yeah, I like "The Colonels"

Information was obtained from the KHSAA scoreboard and their information is from 1998 on:

 

98 DNP

99 DNP

00 LexCath 28 CovCath 13

01 CovCath 31 LexCath 14

02 LexCath 29 CovCath 27

03 DNP

04 CovCath 37 LexCath 21

05 LexCath 44 CovCath 39

06 CovCath 56 LexCath 49

07 DNP

08 DNP

09 LexCath 23 CovCath 17

 

So in the seven games that I could find the information for, LexCath has won 4 and CovCath 3.

 

Total points scored for in those seven games for each team were:

CovCath 181

LexCath 159

 

Funny but true! Neither school has been able to win games back to back, so if this hold true this Saturday, the Colonels should come out with the "W".

Information was obtained from the KHSAA scoreboard and their information is from 1998 on:

 

98 DNP

99 DNP

00 LexCath 28 CovCath 13

01 CovCath 31 LexCath 14

02 LexCath 29 CovCath 27

03 DNP

04 CovCath 37 LexCath 21

05 LexCath 44 CovCath 39

06 CovCath 56 LexCath 49

07 DNP

08 DNP

09 LexCath 23 CovCath 17

 

So in the seven games that I could find the information for, LexCath has won 4 and CovCath 3.

 

Total points scored for in those seven games for each team were:

CovCath 181

LexCath 159

 

Funny but true! Neither school has been able to win games back to back, so it this hold true this Saturday, the Colonels should come out with the "W".

 

I think that streak comes to an end.

Like last year, I think this will be a closer game than some think.

 

These two match up very evenly and I expect a good game from start to finish.

 

Look for the Colonels to use the pass a little more this week and try to get guys like Connelly in open space.

 

In the end, I see Lexcath being too much at home.

 

Lexcath 31

Covcath 17

My crystal ball says Cov. Cath. will play much better and the final score will be much closer than last week at Nippert. (How is that for going out on a limb?) Catholic (lexington) over Catholic (covington) by 15-20 points with Bir and the Colonel offense showing sparks of life that portend well for future.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.