How do you think Knight stacks up against Wall ?

Wildcat Dad

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's crazy at all to think Knight could be a better college player than Wall. His ability to shoot is a huge plus that Wall never had...and, to compound things for Wall, the UK team he played on didn't have any shooters to complement his strengths, IMO.

I was never overly impressed with Wall's defense (other than the spectacular plays he made from time to time). I'm hoping Knight will be better there as well.

I'll go a step further Wildcat Dad. While I don't have any expectation of a 35-3 season, I believe this UK squad could ultimately have a stronger chance to win a title. We replaced unusual inside dominance with a team that should be able to shoot the basketball and score in a greater variety of ways. I think that bodes well for March.

We'll have to see how the freshmen play when the real games start, but if they are as advertised and develop at a reasonable rate, I like our chances in March better than last season.

I thought UK had enough talent to overcome their lack of shooting last season. I'm glad that shouldn't be a concern this time around.

I don't think it's crazy at all to think Knight could be a better college player than Wall. His ability to shoot is a huge plus that Wall never had...and, to compound things for Wall, the UK team he played on didn't have any shooters to complement his strengths, IMO.

I was never overly impressed with Wall's defense (other than the spectacular plays he made from time to time). I'm hoping Knight will be better there as well.

I'll go a step further Wildcat Dad. While I don't have any expectation of a 35-3 season, I believe this UK squad could ultimately have a stronger chance to win a title. We replaced unusual inside dominance with a team that should be able to shoot the basketball and score in a greater variety of ways. I think that bodes well for March.

We'll have to see how the freshmen play when the real games start, but if they are as advertised and develop at a reasonable rate, I like our chances in March better than last season.

I thought UK had enough talent to overcome their lack of shooting last season. I'm glad that shouldn't be a concern this time around.

:thumb: I agree with you on both of your statements ; either way Last years team or This years team is a very nice problem to have . The way it looks 2011 freshmen could be totally off the charts maybe a little bit of the last two years combined into one .:popcorn:

Good post.

I agree with a lot of things said and thanks GT for the back up with your expertise. :D

To get to the Bledsoe Lamb debate. UKMF let me ask you this. Did you see Bledoe play defense last year? Now did you see Lamb's defense over the past 3 days? It is completely different. Bledsoe had his moments don't get me wrong and is a good player but IMO Lamb will be better. There is no evidence in this, like I said before in my post earlier this is just all my opinion could be wrong but also could be right.

I haven't seen Lamb play defense, no. You'll never convince me watching these kinda scrimmages gives anyone any insight into the type of players these guys are. Because of that, I did not watch any of the 3 games (sans 2-3 minutes of game 1).

Couldn't agree more with every point 5wide...good post.

See, we had to go back two decades to find a player more polished on the block at 18 years old than Cousins was. Shaq, a top 5 Center of all-time at that. And people say Kanter is more polished down low? I can't buy that until I see it.

Not down low, but he's actually got a mid range jump shot, and for all I know a 3-point shot, and in the college game, I'll take that every time.

I knew there was a reason I loved you, even though I don't know you of course, and thought, you were one of the smartest posters here, and now I know why. And I agree completely

I haven't seen Lamb play defense, no. You'll never convince me watching these kinda scrimmages gives anyone any insight into the type of players these guys are. Because of that, I did not watch any of the 3 games (sans 2-3 minutes of game 1).

I actually think it gives you some insight. Since it is almost completely new team, I enjoyed watching the first two games. You get to see how good of a shooter the players are. How good of a passer and team oriented they are. The first game Knight was still in high school mode a little bit. Kind of a ball hog. You would have got to see how players like Miller and Liggins looked in the true dribble drive. So I think there were good reasons to watch a game or two if you are a fan. I do understand that you can't take everything from these types of games but I have to completely disagree with you that there is absolutely no insight in these games. There isn't much I'll give you that though.

Not down low, but he's actually got a mid range jump shot, and for all I know a 3-point shot, and in the college game, I'll take that every time.

That's not really an advantage though the same way Cousins was. What kind of production will Kanter give UK, Harangody like stuff? I know he (Kanter) has more talent than him, but I think that's about what his impact will be like. 17 points, 9 rebounds, hit some jumpers, etc.

There were no other Demarcus Cousins type players out there. Guys who can step out and hit jumpers in college are alot more common than guys with legit NBA post player size who can dominate around the hoop. I think UK had some holes on their team last year (shooting, turnovers, experience) but Cousins was the trump card they held on everyone along with Wall's jaw dropping 5 minute flashes where he was unstoppable. I think Cousins was a unique talent for the college game and I would take that anytime over a guy like Kanter. Of course maybe when the season starts I'll change my mind, but I just don't see how he can really compare to Big Cuz at this time.

That's not really an advantage though the same way Cousins was. What kind of production will Kanter give UK, Harangody like stuff? I know he (Kanter) has more talent than him, but I think that's about what his impact will be like. 17 points, 9 rebounds, hit some jumpers, etc.

There were no other Demarcus Cousins type players out there. Guys who can step out and hit jumpers in college are alot more common than guys with legit NBA post player size who can dominate around the hoop. I think UK had some holes on their team last year (shooting, turnovers, experience) but Cousins was the trump card they held on everyone along with Wall's jaw dropping 5 minute flashes where he was unstoppable. I think Cousins was a unique talent for the college game and I would take that anytime over a guy like Kanter. Of course maybe when the season starts I'll change my mind, but I just don't see how he can really compare to Big Cuz at this time.

I will take 17 points and 9 rebounds every night out of a college center not to mention the guy guarding him can't clog the middle ,which means the middle is even more open for the dribble drive . I think some are being pretty critical of Kanter ,especially with him being projected to be a top 3-5 pick in next years draft. (Guy must have talent).

Only 17 points and 9 boards a game?? Wow. :idunno:

I will take 17 points and 9 rebounds every night out of a college center not to mention the guy guarding him can't clog the middle ,which means the middle is even more open for the dribble drive . I think some are being pretty critical of Kanter ,especially with him being projected to be a top 3-5 pick in next years draft. (Guy must have talent).

Only 17 points and 9 boards a game?? Wow. :idunno:

You guys are missing what I'm saying. I never once said that I didn't think Kanter would be good. But, to compare him to Cousins at this point is premature and a little bit laughable IMO. Cousins is a guy that many said would have been a clearcut #2 option in the draft had it not been for his attitude. We've seen Kanter in highlights from Europe and an All-Star game.

I also think that not all double doubles are created equally. Cousins was the ultimate mismatch in UK's favor in every game last year. Not player had enough strength to really push him around. What I was saying is that Kanter could put up similar numbers but in a different fashion.