Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County 3 Dixie 1

Featured Replies

The Conner game was tied when Smallwood came in. If they brought another pitcher in and they lost, then everyone would say why didn't he bring in Smallwood with the season on the line....right?

 

My point is that you open yourself to a question when you start your #4 who puts you in position to have to have your ace come in to close which then might preclude him from starting the championship game.

  • Replies 81
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think everyone is missing the point. I was not there but it sounds like Sexton threw well enough to win. I read of "2 gift runs" so that means with solid D he gives up one. It doesn't matter who they threw if they are only going to score 1 run, they aren't winning many games. This was talked about all year with Dixie. They have the best overall arms but will they score enough to win? The answer is "NO". Not a huge upset with Teegarden on the mound as he is a winner and a true competitor that doesn't get rattled. Dixie's bats lost this game, not their pitchers.

My point is that you open yourself to a question when you start your #4 who puts you in position to have to have your ace come in to close which then might preclude him from starting the championship game.

 

ok...well that's a different topic than why Sexton didn't close the Conner game.

I think that Sexton was the perfect choice to go with because he is more of a pitcher and keeps batters off balance.

 

Smallwood is a thrower and I feel that Boone would have hit him better than Sexton.

Obviously you follow Dixie baseball because not just any NKY baseball fan would know that the CF today was the SS two years ago so why all the harsh feelings towards the kid and Max? Max and Brice could have known something that nobody else knew and thats why he didnt start today, who knows? Also if Dixie did happen to pull this one out would you still be sitting here dogging on Max or would you be praising him for being such a great decision maker?

 

First off I don't believe I'm dogging any kids. I haven't called any kid out, simply stated facts about decisions made by the coach at Dixie. Well if Bryce was down for some reason, why did he eventually come in? Also, he had his number two Stansberry available (senior to boot). I think Sexton did a great job, but in the sixth, when first Boone batter singled, wouldn't you think you'd have someone up throwing in the bullpen? No one went to the bullpen until it was 2 to 1. And then there was no catcher in the pen and the pitcher had to wait till the catcher walked down to the pen. Just my opinion that at that point, either lefty would have given Boone a different look. How does Stansberry feel not getting to throw in the Regionals in his senior year? JMHO.

I can't tell you why Max went with Sexton instead of Smallwood but I can tell you Smallwood has a hamstring issue with him right now. Whether or not that is the reason, I don't have the slightest idea. Another reason could be because Brice all season has for the most part had an issue with getting his pitch count too high. He was used for 2 innings in the semi final and I don't know if Max wanted to possibly use him for 9 innings straight (going back to the Conner game).

 

 

 

1) If you are going to talk about two years ago and you know so much about baseball, then you should also know Cov Cath was the favorite and actually had a better squad that year. You should also know I am a die hard Dixie guy when saying that. There is no reason CCH shouldn't have won the title from 2006-2009.

 

2) You would also know that while the two errors by our SS were big they didn't decide the game. The thing that decided the game, IMHO, was the call at the plate in the 7th inning when our SS made a heck of a decision to come home with the ball and even though Popham tagged the runner 4 feet up the line he was called safe. That was the tying run that sent the game to extras where CCH won.

 

3) And once again if you are so baseball savvy you would know that it was Lloyd back in 2006 when Max threw his number 4 in districts and lost in the first round. However, you would also know that it wasn't the pitcher that cost Dixie that game. It was the error by the third baseman in the 6th inning that allowed Lloyd to get back in the game. Then that Dixie team imploded on themselves and made many mental errors from that point on and lost in 8 innings.

 

 

But then again I guess you are a genius and know everything about baseball so those points are mute I guess. And real quick, how many wins do you have as a varsity head coach? 0? Oh, okay. Thanks.

 

So whether you have wins as a varsity coach or not dictates whether or not one can comment on games in this thread. I guess pretty much all posters need to stop posting their opinions on preps since I imagine none that post are varsity coaches with any significant wins. I just purely and simply think Max mismanages games, especially of the year end variety. Do I think Max is a terrible person? No, quite honestly I think he's a great guy who loves the kids he coaches. I know there are several Dixie grads and parents of previous players who would agree with me wholeheartedly on both points.

I find it difficult to blame the coach for starting a pitcher who went 6 innings and only gave up 1 earned run. Sexton pitched well. To blame the coach for the loss you would have to believe that a different Dixie pitcher (or pitchers) would have pitched a shutout. Anybody willing to guarantee that Smallwood or Stansberry would have done that? Dixie could have used more offense or better defense just as much if not more than better pitching. It's a team game. If they score 3 you need to score 4. If you only score 1, your pitching and defense need a shutout. Dixie did neither so Dixie as a team just didn't get it done.

 

Congratulations to Dixie on a fine season and good luck to Boone the rest of the year!

All year long, I have said that while Dixie had the pitching their "D" and Hitting didn't impress me all that much and I was taken to task because of it.

 

I honestly was stunned when Dixie beat Conner by the number of runs they put up on the board but against Boone, they reverted back to the Dixie team I saw play more times than not, great pitching but poor "D" and taking themselves out of games by poor base running and lack of big hits.

 

With the new format for the KHSAA baseball tourney, I honestly don't think Boone has enough pitching to go real deep into the tourney! I hope they do and I will be rooting for them but pitching could be the Rebels downfall.

 

Good luck Rebels, bring back the hardware to the Ninth Region.

I find it difficult to blame the coach for starting a pitcher who went 6 innings and only gave up 1 earned run. Sexton pitched well. To blame the coach for the loss you would have to believe that a different Dixie pitcher (or pitchers) would have pitched a shutout. Anybody willing to guarantee that Smallwood or Stansberry would have done that? Dixie could have used more offense or better defense just as much if not more than better pitching. It's a team game. If they score 3 you need to score 4. If you only score 1, your pitching and defense need a shutout. Dixie did neither so Dixie as a team just didn't get it done.

 

Congratulations to Dixie on a fine season and good luck to Boone the rest of the year!

 

As always you raise fair points. I'm not blaming. I'm questioning why you rarely use your best pitcher.

I find it difficult to blame the coach for starting a pitcher who went 6 innings and only gave up 1 earned run. Sexton pitched well. To blame the coach for the loss you would have to believe that a different Dixie pitcher (or pitchers) would have pitched a shutout. Anybody willing to guarantee that Smallwood or Stansberry would have done that? Dixie could have used more offense or better defense just as much if not more than better pitching. It's a team game. If they score 3 you need to score 4. If you only score 1, your pitching and defense need a shutout. Dixie did neither so Dixie as a team just didn't get it done.

 

Congratulations to Dixie on a fine season and good luck to Boone the rest of the year!

 

Nice post - I Agree....you can play the "what if" game forever, but in a single game or life itself, sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't.

Sexton pitched a great game.................Honestly the choice of pitchers turned out to be a good one. 1 earned run over 6 innings should equal a W................................But it did not......

 

Congrats to Coach Huff!!!!!

Sexton did pitch very good. The hit on the go ahead run was just a flip of the wrist. The batter took an outside pitch and hit it back up the middle. It went just passed the glove of Sexton. The second baseman was breaking back to cover his position and slipped and fell on the turf when he tried to go back to his right for the ball.

 

This game ended up the same score as last year when Beechwood beat Cov Cath 3-1 in the finals.

I love the guys that come on here and argue over little things. "You wont put your real name up!" haha Boone County won the region Dixie did not. These are the facts. Boone County has the talent to win state, this is my opinion. If you so choose to disagree with my opinion...I dont care. Thanks :)

it might be nice that someone on here talks about the team that won the sectional and the regional tourney. All year long all i hear about is Cov Cath and Dixie and Beechwood and Ryle. it is pretty evident that Boone has the best players, best team and best lineup. Cotton has the best numbers of just about any senior in Northern Ky, Laumann the best numbers of just about any Junior and Teegarden may be one of top Sophomores in the state.. Lets finally give some credit to the team that won and quit making excuses for the ones that lost....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.