Anthony Epps new coach at Marion County

• 2 weeks later...
Does Epps currently coach?

He's been an assistant for the Marion girls the past few seasons.

I think he's going to do a great job; he seems to have brought that cool, calm demeanor with him that we saw during his UK days, which will be needed to handle the Marion Co. fanbase, which can be a bit vocal at times. Obviously, him having the local ties (along with those two big championship rings) will help ease that scrutiny some.

Just because you are a teacher, does not make you the best for the job.

I agree with that statement, however I thought there was a rule/regulation that said if there was a certified applicant they must be considered over a para professional?

Maybe I am mistaken but if he isn't a certified teacher I believe that Marion County will have to post the basketball position again next year and if a certified person in the system is qualified they have to hire them. I am sure their are loopholes for administrations to go through and I am glad to see an administration make it happen if they believe he is the best man for the job.

I agree with that statement, however I thought there was a rule/regulation that said if there was a certified applicant they must be considered over a para professional?

Maybe I am mistaken but if he isn't a certified teacher I believe that Marion County will have to post the basketball position again next year and if a certified person in the system is qualified they have to hire them. I am sure their are loopholes for administrations to go through and I am glad to see an administration make it happen if they believe he is the best man for the job.

I think that depends on the school system and is not necessarily a statewide thing. I may be wrong.

Considered or preferred? Big difference there.

I guess I could be wrong I thought it stated in bylaw 27 that a certified/qualified applicants took precedence over para professionals. I am sure school districts are not going to violate KHSAA laws. I firmly believe in schools hiring the best person for the job. I believe some districts just interpet things differently.