Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Terrence Jones Verbal

Featured Replies

I wonder why KY's not recruiting him. I don't know a thing about the kid other than they compared him to Pervis Ellison on Rivals, and that sounds pretty darn good to me. One would think he would certainly be a better back up plan than Thornton, but there again, that's why I'm not a recruiter or a coach now.

 

I've watched Cothron numerous times, and I never walked away impressed. Might just be me, but he plays soft with little to no motor. Sometimes the measurables are only a small part of the story...

  • Replies 156
  • Views 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with Maggard is his attitude and everyone associated with him. Like a bunch of middle school kids taking up for the leader of the gang. If he would learn how to respect people he would do much better. I dont look at Matt Jones site for recruiting purposes, but there is some funny stuff there.

 

I'm only a casual observer, but I noticed that about MM's site too. Very, very strange.

I'm only a casual observer, but I noticed that about MM's site too. Very, very strange.

He has zero interest in having the 18% types on his site, and often goes to far to make sure that happens. I'm not a fan of the style, but I'm sure it is rough keeping it from turning into TCP...

Maggard IMO is the best at recruiting info. He's cocky but good at what he does.

What about Jeff Drummond, does he have any respectability? I've heard positive signs about Johnny O but it's early on but at least it was positive news. And as far as Jones, whatever anyone says is just a guess right now. My gut feeling says he stays over at Washington but that is completely a gut feeling no insider trading on this one. I hope I am wrong but you know. I'd actually be slightly surprised if he chooses UK, of course it would be a pleasant surprise.

He has zero interest in having the 18% types on his site, and often goes to far to make sure that happens. I'm not a fan of the style, but I'm sure it is rough keeping it from turning into TCP...

 

That's fair enough, it is "his" site. And, he does seem to have good info most of the time.

What about Jeff Drummond, does he have any respectability?

 

I think both Jeff and Jody Demling do a really good job covering recruiting as reporters. The line between being a reporter and being a scout is really thin these days, and I don't think either would say scouting a game is their focus. They are there to watch a certain recruit or two and report on what they saw...

I dont know why any major coach would put their trust in any "scout". Thats why they pay assistant coaches to recruit. Maggard is a Scout, a message board owner, a comic in Mexico, and someone who is never wrong. But like the poster said, its his board and his life. He can say anything he wants on his site, but there has never and I mean never been a bigger jerk than Marc Maggard.

I dont know why any major coach would put their trust in any "scout". Thats why they pay assistant coaches to recruit.

 

Hard to recruit when the NCAA has restricted the AAU/Camp period to roughly 20 days out of the 4 months of action for coaches...

I have talked to alot of coaches and most wont use scouts, or rather pay for them.

I have talked to alot of coaches and most wont use scouts, or rather pay for them.

If you are talking to D1 coaches they are not telling the truth. D2 and D3 don't have the same restrictions and can still hit the road on their own. I do know the yearly fee for the national guys at the D1 level is really low, so they would be out of their minds not to find one they trust and have them be their eyes on the road while the coaches have to stay home...

Maggard is rubbing off on you.......

Funny considering I'm close to guys that get paid to scout for almost every major D1 program and they aren't named Maggard. Do you really thing Telep, Daniels, Meyer and the rest of the national guys aren't getting paid to scout while they are on the road? I know of at least 5 former high major assistant coaches who run scouting services now as well.

 

You are letting your hate for Maggard cloud the discussion. He's a polarizing figure, so I get that. Bottom line is I'm not him and have my own path in this business. Doubt that all you want because I split costs here and there on the road with him. If you want to be wrong because you dislike him, get in line...

^We respect what you do GT and what you contribute to this board. Without you, we'd be lost out on the recruiting scene, thats for sure...

^We respect what you do GT and what you contribute to this board. Without you, we'd be lost out on the recruiting scene, thats for sure...

Thanks. Just making my position in this debate as clear as possible. While I don't agree with a lot that Maggard does, I do respect the fact he is there in the gym non stop from April to August. I also have a lot of respect for Demling and Drummond for doing the same on the reporter side. If you do the work, manage the time away from your family to watch kids play hoops and are able to make a living off of it, you are good in my book. Spending 30 of 45 hours in a gym over a weekend sounds a lot better than it actually is... :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.