Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will the KHSAA ever consider Volleyball for boys?

Featured Replies

I doubt we'll see vball for the boys. There is no feeder system today. Even in Ohio there aren't many teams and either Elder/Moeller/St X wins the state tourney playing against each other.

 

As to the Title IX question I don't think adding a sport would be an issue by itself. I think its more of an issue of how many girls have the opportunity to participate. There are 3 tests (don't remember what they are) and as long as you meet one I think you're in compliance.

 

With that said, its a great sport to watch when its played well.

 

I don't believe it is OHSAA sanctioned meaning it is more of a club sport.

 

Truthfully outside the metro areas of the golden triangle, I am not sure how big of a sport women's volleyball is in the state.

 

I have a friend who swears the next KHSAA sanctioned sport will be bowling.

There is a parochial grade school league for boys in Northern Kentucky. I believe ST. Pius just won the season ending tournament this weekend.

 

Yea I think I have heard, Pius, Blessed Sacramant, St Henry, St Paul, St Agnes, IHM, St Joes -crescent - all have boys Volleyball. I think it is great as the boys have a blast playing it, and what I really enjoyed most is - it seemed like it was the one sport where they always played to have fun! Wasn't as life or death as some of the others. I know they used to start in

4th grade, but I think I heard they have 3rd grade boys playing now.

 

As for HS - I heard St Henry has a boys club team, and I heard rumors Cov Cath was going to have one as well. Would love to see it expand. I love watching the men's college teams play on ESPN.

I attended high school prior to the implementation of Title IX. Here were the varsity sports in our school at the time:

 

Boys: Football, soccer, cross-country, track, wrestling, basketball, lacrosse, baseball, tennis

 

Girls: Basketball, volleyball, track, softball, tennis

 

Clubs for gymnastics (mixed) and weightlifting (boys).

Edited by mcpapa

There is a parochial grade school league for boys in Northern Kentucky. I believe ST. Pius just won the season ending tournament this weekend.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: St Therese in Southgate has it also .

My sons played in the NKY parochial league. I can't call that a feeder system as it was nothing more than rec ball. The boys had a great time and their goal was to see how hard they could serve it.

I wish it was available when I was in school. It's probably the most fun adult leagues to play in and co-ed is great too.

I doubt we'll see vball for the boys. There is no feeder system today. Even in Ohio there aren't many teams and either Elder/Moeller/St X wins the state tourney playing against each other.

 

As to the Title IX question I don't think adding a sport would be an issue by itself. I think its more of an issue of how many girls have the opportunity to participate. There are 3 tests (don't remember what they are) and as long as you meet one I think you're in compliance.

 

With that said, its a great sport to watch when its played well.

 

They would not have to worry about the issue if the KHSAA would just recognize cheerleading as a sport.

I have a selfish view on this topic. I am against it because it would hurt Wrestling from growing in Kentucky. It would be a lot easier for a school to start a volleyball team for boys than wrestling.

 

Title IX has really hurt wrestling at the high school and college level.

I have a friend who swears the next KHSAA sanctioned sport will be bowling.

 

It is a sanctioned sport in Illinois and so is bass fishing.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.