Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brandon Knight to Kentucky!

Featured Replies

:banana:

 

Now if Cal can get Lamb, then real in Jones, we would be set. Expect to see a whole lot more DDM next season.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having trouble getting real excited about these one and done players. I think you can get by with recruiting one per year but to bring in three or four is a program killer. We are becoming a one year stepping stone to the NBA. I know some of you are fine with that but I am not. With Cal we are going to have a completly different team from year to year with little or no experience. I realize I shouldn't complain about the talent level of these players but I really don't see a group of freshmen ever winning the NCAA title and that is the ultimate goal.

I am having trouble getting real excited about these one and done players. I think you can get by with recruiting one per year but to bring in three or four is a program killer. We are becoming a one year stepping stone to the NBA. I know some of you are fine with that but I am not. With Cal we are going to have a completly different team from year to year with little or no experience. I realize I shouldn't complain about the talent level of these players but I really don't see a group of freshmen ever winning the NCAA title and that is the ultimate goal.

 

Agree with your premise that you can't consistently field team after team of "one-n-dones" and expect to win the big prize; but in Cal's defense, I don't think that's his goal either (nor his history before this year)? This year was a situation where major rebuilding was needed with a few weeks of recruiting left, and it turned out pretty good. Nobody that I have heard ever expected this many of these kids to go pro--Wall & Patterson, and maybe Cousins (many thought at least 2 years) were the only ones, while Orton, Bledsoe and Dotson were counted on as multi-year guys.

 

The potential lock-out in 2011 by the NBA has a lot of kids scrambling for a piece of the pie ahead of schedule. I think you'll see the "one-n-dones" be a smaller piece of the pie as we move forward. Remember, he's barely been on the job a year and was left with a pretty empty cupboard, and with the five defections this year, is having to scramble again. Sounds like the NBA will soon adopt a rule similar to baseball's, where a kid either goes straight to the pros out of HS, or goes to college for at least two years. Then everyone can complain about "two-n-dones"?? :D

Agree with your premise that you can't consistently field team after team of "one-n-dones" and expect to win the big prize; but in Cal's defense, I don't think that's his goal either (nor his history before this year)? This year was a situation where major rebuilding was needed with a few weeks of recruiting left, and it turned out pretty good. Nobody that I have heard ever expected this many of these kids to go pro--Wall & Patterson, and maybe Cousins (many thought at least 2 years) were the only ones, while Orton, Bledsoe and Dotson were counted on as multi-year guys.

 

The potential lock-out in 2011 by the NBA has a lot of kids scrambling for a piece of the pie ahead of schedule. I think you'll see the "one-n-dones" be a smaller piece of the pie as we move forward. Remember, he's barely been on the job a year and was left with a pretty empty cupboard, and with the five defections this year, is having to scramble again. Sounds like the NBA will soon adopt a rule similar to baseball's, where a kid either goes straight to the pros out of HS, or goes to college for at least two years. Then everyone can complain about "two-n-dones"?? :D

 

 

:thumb:

The head of Knight's school said he's one of the finest students ever at that school.

With the current commits, I see only Poole being here for year two. And by year three we will probably be down a scholarship or two due to to all the early entries and graduation rates. I guess I should just live in the present and be happy!

With the current commits, I see only Poole being here for year two. And by year three we will probably be down a scholarship or two due to to all the early entries and graduation rates. I guess I should just live in the present and be happy!

 

You don't lose scholarships for early entires.

 

You lose scholarships if they're not making progress towards a degree during the time they stay.

 

I agree Kanter and Knight are likely one and done. The class clearly isn't finished though.

Great news. If Cal can land Lamb and Leslie and/or Jones, we'll have the lineup rounded out.

 

Whether everybody knew Knight was coming or not, it's always nice to make it official. Nobody knows what these kids are thinking, so its always possible they'll have a change of heart. It also might help a little with landing some of the remaining targets. It certainly shouldn't hurt. Hopefully two or three more studs will want to try to replicate what Wall and company accomplished last season.

Brandon Knight

? (Lamb? Liggins?)

Darius Miller

? (Jones? Leslie?)

Enes Kanter

Knight

Lamb/Selby

Miller

Leslie/Jones

Kanter

 

That's what I was hoping for. I'd like to get Selby, but from what I've read recently, it doesn't sound like that will happen. I had a guess that we might get him, but it doesn't seem likely. I'd like to get one of the PF's and one of the G's. Of course, I'd like to get them all. But, I'm just glad to be getting some of them for a change. :lol:

Yeah. Mark Selby down for KU not UK.

You don't lose scholarships for early entires.

 

You lose scholarships if they're not making progress towards a degree during the time they stay.

 

.

 

You do get dinged for early departures even if they are "on track." There is a point given for being on track and for returning. So, UK will lose a lot of points due to early departure. The key is that if every player is fine academically upon departure then UK can be below the 925 limit but still retain all scholarships. However, if they are below 925 and even one player is not where he needs to be academically , its going to be a problem.

In my above post, I was referring to all the guys completing the rest of the year and being in good academic standing. I find it hard to believe that if these guys hire agents that they are going to continue going to class knowing there is a multi million dollar contract at stake. I would personally be working on my game to get ready for draft camps and individual team workouts. I doubt that English 101 is on their minds. I will give major props to these players if they finish out the year in good academic status cause you know these agents are pulling them in a different direction. It is a tough situation for a young person to be in.

Great news. If Cal can land Lamb and Leslie and/or Jones, we'll have the lineup rounded out.

 

Whether everybody knew Knight was coming or not, it's always nice to make it official. Nobody knows what these kids are thinking, so its always possible they'll have a change of heart. It also might help a little with landing some of the remaining targets. It certainly shouldn't hurt. Hopefully two or three more studs will want to try to replicate what Wall and company accomplished last season.

 

 

Excellent point. Just ask Joe B Hall about how he knew that Ralph Sampson was coming to UK along with Bowie. Everyone in KY believed Sampson was coming and it didn't happen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.