Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sportsmanship

Featured Replies

As an impartial observer, the officiating in the entire game of Scott Co vs. Rockcastle Co was some of the worst I've ever seen. However, I have a real problem with the Rock fans booing the Scott Co girls as they left the floor. Boo the officials who were horrible, the KHSAA whom chose the officials, but leave the kids alone. The Scott Co girls had nothing to do with the ineptness of the stripes.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not there but I am sure that the emotions of the moment got to them and they were not really blaming the team but it was dissapointing to get cheated this way. I am sure Scott would have done the same if the situation was reversed

Unfortunately this happens more often than we care to hear about. Bad sportsmanship should not be displayed in such a manner.

 

Bad sportsmanship has definitely happened in our region. The bad thing is that it is not only fans but coaches. Coaches should definitely not be allowed to do this. Administrative should take pride in their schools and do something about this. If they don't, then they are just giving fans and other schools the preception that this is okay. I know for a fact that parents of these schools are not happy with this.

 

Hopefully bad sportsmanship will be addressed in the off season and the coaches will be held accountable. People in other work positions are not allowed to act this way so why should people that teach and coach kids be allowed to do the same. Just my opinion!

You know, if you are going to create a thread to complain about the Rock crowd's sportsmanship, you really should talk about what terrific sportmanship the Rock team showed throughout the tournament. They were the first ones to help the other teams' players off the floor, always made a point to cross the gym to shake hands during intros, etc. Those young ladies certainly represented their team and school very well.

 

That being said, I don't think the Rock crowd was necessarily booing the Scott team. If you were there, you saw what an incredibly horrible ending it was for the Rock team, and I think emotions got the best of them. I truly believe they were booing the fact that the Scott team was told to leave the floor and it just so happened they had to leave right under the Rock student section. I'm certainly not condoning booing kids, but I really think this was simply frustration at the whole situation. The Rock crowd showed class the whole tourney, this was not indicative of their usual behavior.

Unfortunately this happens more often than we care to hear about. Bad sportsmanship should not be displayed in such a manner.

 

Bad sportsmanship has definitely happened in our region. The bad thing is that it is not only fans but coaches. Coaches should definitely not be allowed to do this. Administrative should take pride in their schools and do something about this. If they don't, then they are just giving fans and other schools the preception that this is okay. I know for a fact that parents of these schools are not happy with this.

 

Hopefully bad sportsmanship will be addressed in the off season and the coaches will be held accountable. People in other work positions are not allowed to act this way so why should people that teach and coach kids be allowed to do the same. Just my opinion!

 

Are you saying that the coach should be held accountable for the actions of the fans??

No I am not saying that at all. I am saying that coaches should be held accountable for their actions. I realize they have no control over the fans nor do I think they should be held accountable for what fans do.

 

I've just seen a few instances in this past year where coaches have shown bad sportsmanship. I just think if you are going to complain about fans then you need to discuss how coaches act. That is all that I am saying.

 

Never said anything about coaches being held accountable for fans.

No I am not saying that at all. I am saying that coaches should be held accountable for their actions. I realize they have no control over the fans nor do I think they should be held accountable for what fans do.

 

I've just seen a few instances in this past year where coaches have shown bad sportsmanship. I just think if you are going to complain about fans then you need to discuss how coaches act. That is all that I am saying.

 

Never said anything about coaches being held accountable for fans.

 

 

Gotcha:thumb:

I'm sorry, but that was just general displeasure with the way the whole game went down. They were also booing while the SF trophy and medals were being passed out, so do you think the Rock fans were also booing their own team?

If you get a chance watch the post game interviews from this game. Girls and coach sobbing, Coach said she felt sorry for the fans and was near tears throughout the interview. It must have been a very difficult game on multiple levels.

Somemay have booed but when you feel like you were cheated even tho it was the refs it can sometimes be hard to control your emotions and after you calm down you realize that it was a mistake. I am sure that this has happened to everyone at least once. I was not there but it sure sound like a very dissapointing end for the RC team.

I was there and felt horrible for the Rockcastle kids. The game was extremely poorly officiated throughout. I am from Louisville so I did not have a dog in the fight. But it was extremely bad!!!!!!!!! Those kids and coaches work that hard for that long and then dont get a fair shake is a little hard to accept. I am not saying Rockcastle was better than Scott County. Scott County is a tremendous team as well and should be congratulated for going as far as they did. But the way the game was called was not acceptable.

 

The referees just ran off the floor leaving everyone standing there wondering what was going on. The crowd was booing the situation for the most part...not the kids. The Rockcastle student section may have booed the team, but they are kids as well...so you may take that into account.

 

Yes, the referees were from Louisville.

I was there and felt horrible for the Rockcastle kids. The game was extremely poorly officiated throughout. I am from Louisville so I did not have a dog in the fight. But it was extremely bad!!!!!!!!! Those kids and coaches work that hard for that long and then dont get a fair shake is a little hard to accept. I am not saying Rockcastle was better than Scott County. Scott County is a tremendous team as well and should be congratulated for going as far as they did. But the way the game was called was not acceptable.

 

The referees just ran off the floor leaving everyone standing there wondering what was going on. The crowd was booing the situation for the most part...not the kids. The Rockcastle student section may have booed the team, but they are kids as well...so you may take that into account.

 

Yes, the referees were from Louisville.

 

 

 

When the refs clearly signaled "game over" what should they have done?

The only signal they gave was that "we are outta here." There (in my opinion) should have been some time put back on the clock when the ball went out of bounds on the last possession. They did not get together to even discuss it. The alternate ref at the table seemed confused at the situation. I was sitting right behind the table. Everyone was left in confusion. Both teams stood there for what seemed to be a minute or so before shaking hands. It was just poorly handled throughout.

The only signal they gave was that "we are outta here." There (in my opinion) should have been some time put back on the clock when the ball went out of bounds on the last possession. They did not get together to even discuss it. The alternate ref at the table seemed confused at the situation. I was sitting right behind the table. Everyone was left in confusion. Both teams stood there for what seemed to be a minute or so before shaking hands. It was just poorly handled throughout.

 

You mean the refs were in error? :sssh: No way. :jump:

 

 

 

 

J/K

The only signal they gave was that "we are outta here." There (in my opinion) should have been some time put back on the clock when the ball went out of bounds on the last possession. They did not get together to even discuss it. The alternate ref at the table seemed confused at the situation. I was sitting right behind the table. Everyone was left in confusion. Both teams stood there for what seemed to be a minute or so before shaking hands. It was just poorly handled throughout.

 

Incorrect.

 

Watch the video of the game. The center official (opposite the benches) clearly waves that the game is over.

 

People think that officials run off of the floor solely to "escape." Obviously, there are times that you know its not going to be pleasant if you stick around.

 

However, lets play the game of "the officials should stick around and explain everything" game.

 

Lets say this was the district finals game. Ball goes OOB at the same time the horn sounds. Refs "hang out" to explain everything so that everyone feels good. However, the Rock coach and lets say the best player get a little wound up when they don't like the explanation given. They get so wound up that they end up getting ejected. Now what? First game of the regional tourney will be played without the head coach and without the star player.

 

Is that worth an "explanation?"

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.