Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why do regions trade officials?

Featured Replies

And if, as you say, the region is much more critical than the districts, and certainly the regular season, then why would you want to change? I mean, if you are accustomed to officials keeping the hand checking in-check during the regular season, and you suddenly run into officials that are much more liberal in their allowance for it in the regional tourney, you don't suddenly get "accustomed" to it. And likewise, if you as a post defender have been allowed to use certain moves/maneuvers to establish position, and suddenly the officials are calling every little contact...what do you do? And to say that if your opponent is (or is not) allowed to do it, then you are too, really isn't a valid argument IMO.

 

I understand that players/coaches have to adjust to how the officials call the game...but, IMO them finding out HOW it's going to be called when you're in the most critical games of the year, is not the time to do it.

 

I would rather take my chances on the "known" than the "unknown".

 

Amen, brother! It's time to play the game, not be indecisive and become frustrated wondering how to figure out the new 32 minute reality.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of high school athletics is to benefit the student-athletes, is it not? What is best for officials has absolutely no business entering into the equation, since they come and go as virtual independent contractors for every game that they agree to call. The coaches - they are big boys and girls who should not figure into the equation very much either, however they invest themselves significantly more into the student-athletes and their well being than the officials have. The real question is: "Are the student-athletes being best served by having outside officials?" Well, I'm sure that there are lots of folks whose opinions fall on both sides of the question, however mine falls on side of staying inside the region, as I believe that the players benefit better from it.

 

I couldn't agree more, I was just stating that is the reason that the officials want to switch. I agree with you, let's do what's best for the kids, not the adults!

After watching the boys play at Henry Co. Monday night, I can't imagine why there can be much of a desire to have 6th region officials any time in the near future. Stay "in."

I think the kids benefit more from the out of region officials. Don't get me wrong; with the exception of the girls' final, I thought the girls' 8th was horribly officiated...but it was horribly officiated in an even-handed way. I saw no team get an advantage. We have some horribly officiated games done by 8th region officials, too.

 

The kids are going to have to learn how to adjust to the officials; that's the way it is all year (all their games aren't "in-region") and in the Sweet 16. And I think the players benefit in the fact that the out-of-region officials are less likely to be watching for certain things the "in-region" officials may already be predisposed to look for. For example, watching out for a kid that they already expect to get into foul trouble, etc. These guys come in as blank slates - which is good news for the kids.

 

I agree with you, CM.

I agree with you, CM.

If I am not mistaken the coaches decide whether the local officials stay in or go out, so any discussion should be centered on what "they" want, not the officials.

If I am not mistaken the coaches decide whether the local officials stay in or go out, so any discussion should be centered on what "they" want, not the officials.

 

Principals/AD's vote on the officials staying in or going out, not the coaches.

Principals/AD's vote on the officials staying in or going out, not the coaches.

 

Most would find it hard to believe that the principal/AD does not consult with the coach.

If I were an official in a region where the coaches/AD's/principals didn't want me calling their post-season, I wouldn't feel very good about myself. I would want those people to say, "Hey, we've got good officials, let's keep 'em!"

If I were an official in a region where the coaches/AD's/principals didn't want me calling their post-season, I wouldn't feel very good about myself. I would want those people to say, "Hey, we've got good officials, let's keep 'em!"

 

Often it is the officials who desire to go outside if the region.

Often it is the officials who desire to go outside if the region.

 

Like where?

Check rotations of which officials went what regions. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but the 6th went to the 8th, and the 8th went to the 12th. I have no knowledge of where the 12th went or who came into the 6th. Someone else will have to get provide additional information as to who voted for what, etc.

Check rotations of which officials went what regions. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but the 6th went to the 8th, and the 8th went to the 12th. I have no knowledge of where the 12th went or who came into the 6th. Someone else will have to get provide additional information as to who voted for what, etc.

 

I'm pretty sure the officials in these regions have nothing to do with going out of region. As mentioned earlier, it's the coaches/AD's/Principals making the decision.

I'm pretty sure the officials in these regions have nothing to do with going out of region. As mentioned earlier, it's the coaches/AD's/Principals making the decision.

 

Please allow me to respectfully take issure with you. True, schools vote. However the wishes of the officials to go outside to avoid scratches, etc. are not always ignored. When those who cast the votes ponder all of the variables, I do not believe that is done entirely without considering the wishes of the officials. Think about it: Who wants officials that do not want to be there??? I won't give any specifics, but I have personally overheard officials indicate their eagerness to be going outside region in order to be able to call games and not be scratched inside of region. To discount this as "coaches/ADs/principals making the decision" misses the mark, and it is naive to think so.

It's not really the Coaches its usually the Officials Association that requests them. Officals who are involved with big calls are often approached in the public at dinner or stores and comments made to them because in the Region etc every call is magnified.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.