Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Doyel praises Wildcat Nation

Featured Replies

Good read, and really puts last nights game in perspective.

 

Kentucky loser on the court, but winner off of it.

 

The biggest winner all week was Kentucky basketball, and don't look at me like that. I know the score from Tuesday night, when unranked South Carolina beat the No. 1 Wildcats. That was Kentucky's first game in the No. 1 spot, and it was Kentucky's first loss of the season. The Wildcats will not be perfect this season. Although, if you ask me, they already are.

 

And don't look at me like that. Like I said, I know what happened Tuesday at Columbia, S.C.: South Carolina 68, Kentucky 62.

 

But I know the score. The bigger score. And the biggest winner all week was Kentucky, which raised more than $1 million for Haiti. It's $1 million and counting, by the way. Kentucky isn't finished raising money for Haiti in the wake of a devastating earthquake.

 

Put that number in perspective. The American Red Cross, the gold standard in this country when it comes to helping others in their time of need, was among the first international groups to pledge money for Haiti. And how much did the Red Cross pledge? Exactly $1 million.

 

Kentucky basketball tried to send more money to Haiti than the American Red Cross. ...

 

So while I'm applauding Kentucky basketball, I'm also going to applaud Kentucky basketball fans. It's too simplistic to say Kentucky basketball has raised more than $1 million (and counting) for Haiti without saying who wrote most of the checks: Kentucky basketball fans. This $1 million wasn't a money order from the Kentucky athletic department to Haiti. This was a whole lot of $5, $10 and $25 donations from the good people of Kentucky, a state that has been hit as hard as any by our country's economic struggles. ...

 

They gave more than China, which pledged $1 million for Haiti. They gave half as much as Germany, which pledged $2.17 million. Britain sent $10 million. Japan sent $5 million. Kentucky basketball fans sent $1 million, and counting. ...

 

And if you're feeling good at this moment about Kentucky basketball fans, please allow yourself to feel good about the Kentucky basketball coach. Calipari isn't well-liked by people outside of the Kentucky fan base. ...

 

But I know this:

 

An earthquake devastated Haiti on Jan. 12, and within five days Calipari had used the power and the passion of Kentucky basketball to raise more than $1 million for victims, with more on the way as Calipari is auctioning off a dinner with himself and Ashley Judd to the highest bidder. President Obama felt the need to call Calipari and thank him, and Kentucky basketball fans, for their help. Maybe you can tell, but I still can't believe this story. The Kentucky basketball community gave $1 million! That's as much as all of India. It's more than Sweden ($850,000). Nothing against those countries, either. Good for them. Every bit helps.

 

Kentucky lost to unranked South Carolina on Tuesday night, but I've never been more impressed with the Wildcats.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad sending money to Haiti doesn't make you a winner on the basketball court.

Too bad sending money to Haiti doesn't make you a winner on the basketball court.

 

Yeah, because that's what it's all about, right?

 

Ignorant post.

 

Lots of props to John Calipari, the Kentucky team / staff, and those Kentucky fans who donated. $1 million is impressive, but Doyel really puts it in perspective by comparing it to the amounts that other countries gave.

Too bad sending money to Haiti doesn't make you a winner on the basketball court.

 

It helps make you a winner in life though right?

 

I'm glad Cal doesn't think like you do. Part of his job is showing these kids how they can help less fortunate people with the abilities and blessings they have been given.

Yeah, because that's what it's all about, right?

Ignorant post.

 

Lots of props to John Calipari, the Kentucky team / staff, and those Kentucky fans who donated. $1 million is impressive, but Doyel really puts it in perspective by comparing it to the amounts that other countries gave.

 

Yes it is.

 

It helps make you a winner in life though right?

 

I'm glad Cal doesn't think like you do. Part of his job is showing these kids how they can help less fortunate people with the abilities and blessings they have been given.

 

I'm sure that's Cal's reasoning behind all that. I'm sure it had nothing to do with publicity.

Too bad sending money to Haiti doesn't make you a winner on the basketball court.

 

For some reason, that Avatar never seemed more appropriate than it does after this comment.

Yes it is.

 

 

 

I'm sure that's Cal's reasoning behind all that. I'm sure it had nothing to do with publicity.

 

For a charity to be successful you have to make it as public as possible. Regardless of why you think he did it, Haiti has over a million more dollars because of him and the BBN.

Yes it is.

 

I think we've found the guy who is sending the players messages about playing better on Facebook.

Yes it is.

 

I'm sure that's Cal's reasoning behind all that. I'm sure it had nothing to do with publicity.

 

Watch one of the videos where Coach Cal is talking to the team. He tells the team that you don't do things for publicity, unless that publicity is going to help your cause.

 

In this case, that publicity raised over $1 million for a country who has been devastated by a huge earthquake.

I think we've found the guy who is sending the players messages about playing better on Facebook.

 

Okay,maybe I'm wrong, maybe sending money to Haiti does make you a winner on the basketball court. :idunno:

Watch one of the videos where Coach Cal is talking to the team. He tells the team that you don't do things for publicity, unless that publicity is going to help your cause.

 

In this case, that publicity raised over $1 million for a country who has been devastated by a huge earthquake.

 

:cry: Coach Cal gets me every time. What poem was that from?

Okay,maybe I'm wrong, maybe sending money to Haiti does make you a winner on the basketball court. :idunno:

 

Where did I say that?

 

It makes you a winner in life, which is way more important.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.