Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds options at SS

Who would be the Reds best option at SS? 24 members have voted

  1. 1. Who would be the Reds best option at SS?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Well, judging by these names that are being thrown around, guess we're starting the new decade off as we ended the old. A losing ball club. 11th straight year. What a joke...:puke:

  • Replies 81
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Well, judging by these names that are being thrown around, guess we're starting the new decade off as we ended the old. A losing ball club. 11th straight year. What a joke...:puke:

 

 

 

I've been anxiouxly awaiting your positive comments. I knew they were coming. :lol: I can't believe you haven't found a new team by now. :D

I've been anxiouxly awaiting your positive comments. I knew they were coming. :lol: I can't believe you haven't found a new team by now. :D

 

Just want mine to be better. I just have a lower threshold for incompetence than you. o fer the 2000s says it all. Guess you think thats a POSITIVE...:lol:

  • Author
Just want mine to be better. I just have a lower threshold for incompetence than you. o fer the 2000s says it all. Guess you think thats a POSITIVE...:lol:

 

 

It is what it is. The Reds can only spend so much. I think they have a done a good job of building up the talent in the organization the past few years. They just need to start parlaying that into success on the field. There's not a whole lot out there available at the SS position. Cabrera is one of the best options available. What do you want them to do?

It is what it is. The Reds can only spend so much. I think they have a done a good job of building up the talent in the organization the past few years. They just need to start parlaying that into success on the field. There's not a whole lot out there available at the SS position. Cabrera is one of the best options available. What do you want them to do?

Win games. I know the small market climate hurts them. Other clubs have overcome the same problems to at least put competitive teams on the field. I'm not sold on the building up talent thing either. Where are these guys? We had a catcher go down last season and who do they have? No one. They have to go out and sign, of all people, Corky Miller. Thats a joke...They had injuries in the OF, who replaces them?? They have two legit major league position players. Votto and Phillips. I won't count Rolen until his AARP card arrives. Now their talking about adding another 35 + year old infielder? Yeah the makings of another 70 W season. I'm not sure why you would even begin to get excited about that? Oh yeah, you're "positive". And i'm negative. Let's throw out right and wrong, as we are talking about "our" team. Can't say nothing bad about them. Not a good fan if you do. What a joke...:ohbrother:

  • Author
[/b]

Win games. I know the small market climate hurts them. Other clubs have overcome the same problems to at least put competitive teams on the field. I'm not sold on the building up talent thing either. Where are these guys? We had a catcher go down last season and who do they have? No one. They have to go out and sign, of all people, Corky Miller. Thats a joke...They had injuries in the OF, who replaces them?? They have two legit major league position players. Votto and Phillips. I won't count Rolen until his AARP card arrives. Now their talking about adding another 35 + year old infielder? Yeah the makings of another 70 W season. I'm not sure why you would even begin to get excited about that? Oh yeah, you're "positive". And i'm negative. Let's throw out right and wrong, as we are talking about "our" team. Can't say nothing bad about them. Not a good fan if you do. What a joke...:ohbrother:

 

 

I believe the talent level has increased greatly. You have Phillips and Votto who have proven their talent, then you have Jay Bruce who has showed signs, but there is room for improvement. He is still just 22 years old. The farm system is in far better shape than it was just 5 years ago. If you haven't seen the improvement in the talent on the pitching stafff then I'm not sure what you're looking at. Never said you weren't a good fan, so I'm not sure why you're crying about that.

I believe the talent level has increased greatly. You have Phillips and Votto who have proven their talent, then you have Jay Bruce who has showed signs, but there is room for improvement. He is still just 22 years old. The farm system is in far better shape than it was just 5 years ago. If you haven't seen the improvement in the talent on the pitching stafff then I'm not sure what you're looking at. Never said you weren't a good fan, so I'm not sure why you're crying about that.

 

Really? What was the crack about finding a new team about then? And yes their pitching is better. Unfortunately the 69 Mets staff couldn't get this team to a playoff game.

  • Author
Really? What was the crack about finding a new team about then? And yes their pitching is better. Unfortunately the 69 Mets staff couldn't get this team to a playoff game.

 

 

It was a joke. Thus the laughing and smiling smiley. I guess your sense of humor is different than mine.

It was a joke. Thus the laughing and smiling smiley. I guess your sense of humor is different than mine.

 

See you at the Improv:D

If he can be had for less than $4m and puts up numbers anywhere close to his 09 numbers he is a steal. AB HR AVG RBI R SB

656 9 .284 77 83 13

 

 

It looks like he played everyday as well with the ABs.

Those 24 Homers tied a career high. He also hit 14 of them early in the season when the ball was flying out of new Yankee Stadium to right and right centerfield. He also was nestled in the middle of Jeter, A-Roid and Teixeira. Plus he throws like a first grader in the outfield. The problem that most of you Reds fans has is that you look at an aging player or a flawed player and immediately project their career high numbers into your lineup. Damon is 36, he's hit over 20 homers 3 times in his career. He's driven in over 82 runs (last years total) twice, he's hit more than 36 doubles (last years totals) twice. He's not got any upside--he's not likely to duplicate those numbersin the Reds offensively challenged lineup. They would be much better off to sign Cabrera, who is also fading but is cheaper.....He wouldn't be a big dropoff from Janish defensively and is still an offensive upgrade. Last year the Reds mishmash in LF hit .240 with 24 HRs and 71 RBIs and had 81 RS. Compare that to the shortstop position which hit .229 with 6 HRs and 52 RBIs and had 76 RS--with an OB% of .294. Orlando Cabrera hit .284 with 9 HRs and 77 RBIs, he scored 83 Runs while playing most of the year in Oakland's huge stadium. He'll also cost less--who is the better buy?

 

As far as Damon, do you think he would be valuable in the clubhouse as Scott Rolen seems to be? The next question, he is playing at GABP. If he is healthy do you think it possible for him to bat 450 times and hit 15 -18 HR's. Have an average of .280. in the first or second spot in the line up. Seems he has been offered 2 million and turned it down. Would he turn down 3.5 ? Is he worth that?

Strong? How do you figure? Left Field, Center Field, Shortstop and Catcher are very much below average. Right Field isn't much better. The Reds are not a good offensive ballclub by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, if it was his OBP % that enticed you why did you focus on his HRs?

 

Strong defensively. And I didn't "focus" on his home runs, I simply posted the stats that were on the page at the time.

 

I think he was referring to the Reds' defense ...

 

Thanks :thumb:

 

[/b]

Win games. I know the small market climate hurts them. Other clubs have overcome the same problems to at least put competitive teams on the field. I'm not sold on the building up talent thing either. Where are these guys? We had a catcher go down last season and who do they have? No one. They have to go out and sign, of all people, Corky Miller. Thats a joke...They had injuries in the OF, who replaces them?? They have two legit major league position players. Votto and Phillips. I won't count Rolen until his AARP card arrives. Now their talking about adding another 35 + year old infielder? Yeah the makings of another 70 W season. I'm not sure why you would even begin to get excited about that? Oh yeah, you're "positive". And i'm negative. Let's throw out right and wrong, as we are talking about "our" team. Can't say nothing bad about them. Not a good fan if you do. What a joke...:ohbrother:

 

We all want them to get better and win more games. That's what we discuss - how to make them better. You offer little to no input other than "They suck, they need to win more...I'm sick of it....I guess I expect better than you....I remember '75 & '76...."

 

It's a tired routine. Tell us how to make them better. We (or at least I) would love to read some actual input as to how to make this team better, as opposed to how bad they have been & how bad they will be.

 

Finally, if you do not see how far this organization has come in the past 5 years then you're blind. As of today, the Reds have a lot of talent in their organization, particularly of the pitching variety.

[/b]

Win games. I know the small market climate hurts them. Other clubs have overcome the same problems to at least put competitive teams on the field. I'm not sold on the building up talent thing either. Where are these guys? We had a catcher go down last season and who do they have? No one. They have to go out and sign, of all people, Corky Miller. Thats a joke...They had injuries in the OF, who replaces them?? They have two legit major league position players. Votto and Phillips. I won't count Rolen until his AARP card arrives. Now their talking about adding another 35 + year old infielder? Yeah the makings of another 70 W season. I'm not sure why you would even begin to get excited about that? Oh yeah, you're "positive". And i'm negative. Let's throw out right and wrong, as we are talking about "our" team. Can't say nothing bad about them. Not a good fan if you do. What a joke...:ohbrother:

 

A catcher went down & we had Ryan Hanigan, who hit .263 as a rookie, with .361 OBP%? I thought Hanigan played well. He has some deficiencies, but he was valuable for his salary. No way you can lay any blame on him. His future is limited, but he's been a pleasant surprise.

 

Jay Bruce really struggled last year but he showed a lot of power. He played very well when he came back from his broken wrist. He's 22 and will be 23 right around Opening Day.

 

Drew Stubbs came up and played 42 games, in which he hit .267 with an OBP% of 323. Stubbs showed a little bit of pop too, with 8 HR. He strikes out too much, but he also stole 10 bases in 42 games. Stubbs is 25.

 

Balentien is a LF candidate who just helped his team win the championship in the Dominican Winter League.

 

Joey Votto hit .322 with 25 HR & 84 RBI. He had an OBP% of .414. 38 Doubles in 131 games. He is 26.

 

Brandon Phillips is one of the most talented 2nd basemen in the game. He hit .276 with 20 HR & 25 SB last year. He's 28.

 

Now, the young, talented pitching staff:

 

Johnnie Cueto showed flashes of brilliance up until the All-Star break & after his return from the DL. Cueto was 8-6 with a 3.62 ERA before the all-star break, and that includes the debacle against Philadelphia. The games in between were brutal, but the talent remains. He's 23 for another two weeks.

 

Homer Bailey went 8-5 with a 4.53 ERA. He was 3-1 with a 2.41 ERA with 35 K in 37 1/3 innings in September & October. Bailey is 23 & will be 24 in May.

 

Then you've got Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco, Chris Heisy, Yorman Rodriguez, Travis Wood & Aroldis Chapman chomping at the bit.

Strong defensively. And I didn't "focus" on his home runs, I simply posted the stats that were on the page at the time.

 

 

 

Thanks :thumb:

 

 

 

We all want them to get better and win more games. That's what we discuss - how to make them better. You offer little to no input other than "They suck, they need to win more...I'm sick of it....I guess I expect better than you....I remember '75 & '76...."

 

It's a tired routine. Tell us how to make them better. We (or at least I) would love to read some actual input as to how to make this team better, as opposed to how bad they have been & how bad they will be.

 

Finally, if you do not see how far this organization has come in the past 5 years then you're blind. As of today, the Reds have a lot of talent in their organization, particularly of the pitching variety.

 

Hey I'm just sayin I don't think any of the players mentioned will be much of a help. I don't know who else they can get. Are not any of these young guys you listed shortstops? I am directly opposed to a another geriatic player on the left side of the infield. Hey if you guys think they got it figured out, great. We'll see next October. Play ball!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.